funny story? lowered my nicotine level, way too much nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctadrea

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Maui
I've been vaping about 1.5ml/day at 18mg, usually 3-3.5w. It kept me away from smoking for almost 6 months, but I started to feel like it was way too harsh for me. So, today, I mixed at about 6mg, all VG. So smooth. So nice. Great flavor. I turned up the power and found my sweet spot at 9w. Still smooth and delicious. To me, VG adds the same sort of richness that butter does for a nice sauce. And who wouldn't want a touch of citrus to brighten it up?
Yea, long foodie story short, I started to feel the effects of too much nicotine and had to make up a similar mix with 0mg so I could keep vaping.
Now I'm thinking... Holy crap. I think that might be a big deal.
I made the major psychological jump from "vape = nicotine craving"
Why is that important?
I can quit nicotine. I've done it before, many times. The physical addiction is strong and withdrawal is hell, but I can and have done it. I kept going back to cigarettes because I like taking smoke breaks, because I like having something to fiddle with in my hands, because my brain has been trained to associate it as "this is what I need" for half my life.
If I can vape not because I'm craving nicotine... the opposite... if I have too much nicotine but still crave a vape....

PS, I'm not anti-nicotine, but just like red wine and coffee, I'd rather be a casual consumer.

Steelgirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Houston, Tx
I too am on my way down in nic content. all new juice I order starting in Jan will be 12mg (was at 18) I still have quite a bit left over that is at 18mg tho, so its taking a while to get to the 12mg. I'm not sure I've noticed much of a dif when I have vaped 12mg vs 18mg. I think you are right, it's the vape I like, nic is just a bonus.

Legolas

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2014
In the slower lower ... Delaware
Funny I'm cutting some of my juice today. I'm a 80+ vg guy. Currently at 12mg but I'm shooting for 8-10mg. It took me 3 months to go from 24 to 18 then another 3 months from 18 to 12. Now it's been a long while on 12mg. Time for a change. I have noticed some of my newer toppers (KFL+) give me that too much nic feeling. It's probably just in my head.

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
Funny I'm cutting some of my juice today. I'm a 80+ vg guy. Currently at 12mg but I'm shooting for 8-10mg. It took me 3 months to go from 24 to 18 then another 3 months from 18 to 12. Now it's been a long while on 12mg. Time for a change. I have noticed some of my newer toppers (KFL+) give me that too much nic feeling. It's probably just in my head.
It's not in your head. For a year I used 12mg of nic. Using stock tanks. When I switched to RBA's ie the Kayfun I had to switch to 6mg. I read a lot about that and found cutting your nic level in half when using RBA's is a good rule of thumb. Works for me anyway. Good luck!

Legolas

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2014
It's not in your head. For a year I used 12mg of nic. Using stock tanks. When I switched to RBA's ie the Kayfun I had to switch to 6mg. I read a lot about that and found cutting your nic level in half when using RBA's is a good rule of thumb. Works for me anyway. Good luck!

Thx jugband. Thought I was just going nutty. I will read up myself on this. :toast:

doctadrea

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Maui

I don't think it's in your head at all. Different toppers, watts, wicking... so many different things will change how much you're getting every time you take a drag. I have a teeny tiny rda (tall as a drip tip, wide as an ego) and I could not use it at all with 12mg no matter how high I built the resistance, but I could vape 24mg easy on a 2ohm carto at the same watts.

Last edited:

LEDBETTER122

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2013
Alabama
I have went down from 24mg to about 8mg, but I don’t think its due to needing less nicotine, but more the fact that my new builds and coils i get keep producing more vapor than the last.

Right now, I got a Patriot RDA with a .35 Ohm Super Nano Coil and if I go any higher than 8mg I get really sick. Even at 8mg if I hit it more than 4-5 times I get extremely light headed.

Legolas

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2014
I don't think it's in your head at all. Different toppers, watts, wicking... so many different things will change how much you're getting every time you take a drag. I have a teeny tiny rda (tall as a drip tip, wide as an ego) and I could not use it at all with 12mg no matter how high I built the resistance, but I could vape 24mg easy on a 2ohm carto at the same watts.

Topper is what I changed, I'm a 8.5-9 watt user. I haven't searched throat hit in a long time. It's weird but I haven't used a carto since the t-3. I really liked cartos back then but once I ran out of them and was rebuilding my own coils, I never went back to them.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I think, like myself, many go down in nicotine. I just monitor the urges and vape from there. I really want to get farther down before I just sit around vaping for just for the enjoyment of vaping. If I do that now I will be heavier on nicotine. I am at 10 weeks so I am not rushing major changes other than slowly reducing the nicotine.

I am thinking to have a tank with lower nicotine just for the evenings. I can enjoy vaping more while relaxing before bed.

Thanks all,
Jere

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
The device you use probably does play into needing or being able to lower nic. Then you have people like me that haven't changed a thing, still use the same Nova's and Prothingy combo, but still I am lowering my nic. Started out at 24mg and have dropped to 8mg. It didn't happen rapidly, just slowly over time my body adjusts and doesn't require as much nic to be satisfied.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've been vaping about 1.5ml/day at 18mg, usually 3-3.5w. It kept me away from smoking for almost 6 months, but I started to feel like it was way too harsh for me. So, today, I mixed at about 6mg, all VG. So smooth. So nice. Great flavor. I turned up the power and found my sweet spot at 9w. Still smooth and delicious. To me, VG adds the same sort of richness that butter does for a nice sauce. And who wouldn't want a touch of citrus to brighten it up?
Yea, long foodie story short, I started to feel the effects of too much nicotine and had to make up a similar mix with 0mg so I could keep vaping.
Now I'm thinking... Holy crap. I think that might be a big deal.
I made the major psychological jump from "vape = nicotine craving"
Why is that important?
I can quit nicotine. I've done it before, many times. The physical addiction is strong and withdrawal is hell, but I can and have done it. I kept going back to cigarettes because I like taking smoke breaks, because I like having something to fiddle with in my hands, because my brain has been trained to associate it as "this is what I need" for half my life.
If I can vape not because I'm craving nicotine... the opposite... if I have too much nicotine but still crave a vape....

PS, I'm not anti-nicotine, but just like red wine and coffee, I'd rather be a casual consumer.

It took me months to get over the addiction to cigarettes. I reduced my nic use slowly over about 9 months. That made it easy to do and by the time I got to zero nic my cigarette addiction was pretty much gone too. What I found after that was that for me nicotine alone without the other chemicals in cigarettes is not addictive and I can use it when I feel like without getting hooked.

Having said that, be careful not to stop using nic too quickly. I believe it helped me succeed when I first switched to vaping. Overcoming cigarette addiction is hard enough, the nic will be easy to leave behind later too.

Vape on :thumb:

doctadrea

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Maui
The device you use probably does play into needing or being able to lower nic. Then you have people like me that haven't changed a thing, still use the same Nova's and Prothingy combo, but still I am lowering my nic. Started out at 24mg and have dropped to 8mg. It didn't happen rapidly, just slowly over time my body adjusts and doesn't require as much nic to be satisfied.

The most wonderful thing about vaping is that we CAN lower it slowly, at our own pace, so slowly that we don't even notice.

Legolas

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2014

Agreed, if your happy with your vape why change? I can't say I've ever changed b/c I was totally dissatisfied with my current vape. Well sometimes. It's usually to keep me excited about a new thing and to keep me on my vaping journey. Now that's just crazy....isn't it?

doctadrea

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Maui
It took me months to get over the addiction to cigarettes. I reduced my nic use slowly over about 9 months. That made it easy to do and by the time I got to zero nic my cigarette addiction was pretty much gone too. What I found after that was that for me nicotine alone without the other chemicals in cigarettes is not addictive and I can use it when I feel like without getting hooked.

Having said that, be careful not to stop using nic too quickly. I believe it helped me succeed when I first switched to vaping. Overcoming cigarette addiction is hard enough, the nic will be easy to leave behind later too.

Vape on :thumb:

Good advice. Very solid. I'll pass it along to someone who recently switched to vaping. Vape on. ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread