Nicotine strength for sub-ohm vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
, but I actually meant nicotine hit, when I feel coursing through my body, like getting slightly high, and all thoughts about cigarettes just drift away.

That is achievable? Sounds nice. Oh well, I'm still quitting after all these years. The only reason I did not smoke a cigarette last night (and I really shouldn't have) was the husband calling me "Bats:censored:" and refusing. He has never done that before.

It's not too late to inadvisably smoke I guess if I am sneaky about it. But like I probably won't. These things come, and they go.

Anna

fiddleshe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I switched over to subohm about 3 years ago. Not knowing much about them and coming from a KF I did what I normally did. I used 24 mg and low watts for 0.5 ohms. It worked. Now 3 years later I am down to 3 mg (weaned myself down very slowly) and still at 20 watts.
Don't let what people tell you become hard fast rules. If you don't like high watts don't do it. If you need more nic, increase it. Simple.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I can feel a slight throat hit (although less than with 18mg 50/50 liquids in my mtl), but I actually meant nicotine hit, when I feel coursing through my body, like getting slightly high, and all thoughts about cigarettes just drift away. Couldn't achieve that with 3-6mg liquids

Your only priority right now, is keeping yourself as craving free as you can - while you are quitting smoking.

I tend to break a lot of unwritten vaping rules, so my advice would be to use as much nicotine direct lung DL (or subohm as you've called it) as you need to keep cigarette cravings at bay.

Also when trying a DL tank for the first time, ignore the manufacturer's advice on what wattage to use, just start low and keep increasing power until you reach your happy place

Defiant-one

May 6, 2020
    Hi I have a question about nicotine strength in my juice for sub-ohm vaping: I've only started vaping my tfv12 prince smok tank 4 days ago, so total newbie- used to do only mtl before that. I'm currently using Q4 coils, 0.4 ohm, vaping at 50-60 Watts: quite happy with a cooler vape, I tried them at 70-90 but slightly too warm for me, maybe in the future it will change.
    Majority of the sites and youtube videos that I came across where sub-ohm vaping was discussed said that the maximum nicotine strength used when sub-ohm vaping should be 6mg/ml. So I've mixed a few juices, 70/30 vg/pg, ranging from 3-6mg nic. I noticed that I'm chain-vaping with very little nicotine hit. But i kept nicotine cravings sattisfied with my mtl device used simultanously.
    Today however, I wanted to check something. I've mixed some 65/35 VG/PG liquid for my gf's smok nord pod a few days ago, with nicotine at approx. 11.5mg/ml, so I popped it into my prince tank to try it. Expected to choke on it but no- it vapes great at 60 Watts, tastes good (carnival sherbet concentrate + a little bit of strawberry cream concentrate added) nicotine hit: I can feel it, but unless I go crazy it doesn't make me nic sick.

Is this normal? Why do people recommend going max 6mg nic for sub-ohm vaping? Is it because they aren't recent ex-smokers or they never were smokers, and just use low nic liquids at their stage of vaping? Thanks

Reactions: stols001

Defiant-one

May 6, 2020
    My phone is messing up so Peter before I was trying to say I started out vaping 3 years now and started out at 50 mg freebase nicotine on smok big baby light editon that my wife bought me and my local vape shop owner came to me and said I have something new i'd like you to try and it was nic salts and I started this endeavor at 50 mg also. So if it was 4 someone showing me concern for someone wanting to quit the Stinky's I probably wouldn't have quit. I'd say from my perspective more nic in the beginning is ok. I am now at 20mg nic salts in my rda's and rta's. In 3 years for 2 1/2 packs a day this is what it takes to quit. EVERYONE'S JOURNEY IS DIFFERENT, BUT IT'S BEEN A GREAT JOURNEY. I LOVE VAPING AND THE PEOPLE. I LOVE MY WIFE FOR SAVING MY LIFE I CAN BREATH IN THE MORNING NOW.

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    Your only priority right now, is keeping yourself as craving free as you can - while you are quitting smoking.

I tend to break a lot of unwritten vaping rules, so my advice would be to use as much nicotine direct lung DL (or subohm as you've called it) as you need to keep cigarette cravings at bay.

Also when trying a DL tank for the first time, ignore the manufacturer's advice on what wattage to use, just start low and keep increasing power until you reach your happy place

You're right I did refer to DL as sub-ohm, which isn't very accurate since some mtl tanks also use coils below 1ohm. I'll get better I promise ;)

As to coils on my DL setup, unfortunetaly your advice came in too late: first coil was 0.4ohm, 40=100W with 60-80W recommended. I started at 90 :D few hits, choking, and started feeling weak and dizzy. Had to lie on the sofa for half an hour. Next attempt was straight to 40W :lol:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    You're right I did refer to DL as sub-ohm, which isn't very accurate since some mtl tanks also use coils below 1ohm. I'll get better I promise ;)

As to coils on my DL setup, unfortunetaly your advice came in too late: first coil was 0.4ohm, 40=100W with 60-80W recommended. I started at 90 :D few hits, choking, and started feeling weak and dizzy. Had to lie on the sofa for half an hour. Next attempt was straight to 40W :lol:

Lots of us started out at 18mg to 24mg nic strength to get off the cigs. After a while we started to play with the nic level to find the strength that satisfied. If you are looking to reduce the hits you take in a day, go higher. If you want to puff constantly, work the nic down to 3mg strength. Our brains control the satisfaction point and will drive us to vape like fiends if the nic isn't high enough. At 12mg I can take a hit and immediately feel the satisfaction and put down the mod for a while. At 3mg it's in my hand all the time.

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    Lots of us started out at 18mg to 24mg nic strength to get off the cigs. After a while we started to play with the nic level to find the strength that satisfied. If you are looking to reduce the hits you take in a day, go higher. If you want to puff constantly, work the nic down to 3mg strength. Our brains control the satisfaction point and will drive us to vape like fiends if the nic isn't high enough. At 12mg I can take a hit and immediately feel the satisfaction and put down the mod for a while. At 3mg it's in my hand all the time.

I usually go higher on my mtl, minimum 12-18 freebase and 20 salts. I tried the 3mg DL but it just doesn't do it for me, not yet. I can do 10-20 puffs and I still need to hit that mtl to feel satisfied. I found between 8-12mg DL at 50-60W does the job for me at this stage. It's not even been 10 days since my last cigarette though so I guess I'll go lower once enough time passes.

Reactions: stols001

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    My phone is messing up so Peter before I was trying to say I started out vaping 3 years now and started out at 50 mg freebase nicotine on smok big baby light editon that my wife bought me and my local vape shop owner came to me and said I have something new i'd like you to try and it was nic salts and I started this endeavor at 50 mg also. So if it was 4 someone showing me concern for someone wanting to quit the Stinky's I probably wouldn't have quit. I'd say from my perspective more nic in the beginning is ok. I am now at 20mg nic salts in my rda's and rta's. In 3 years for 2 1/2 packs a day this is what it takes to quit. EVERYONE'S JOURNEY IS DIFFERENT, BUT IT'S BEEN A GREAT JOURNEY. I LOVE VAPING AND THE PEOPLE. I LOVE MY WIFE FOR SAVING MY LIFE I CAN BREATH IN THE MORNING NOW.

50mg freebase from sub-ohm tank... that's crazy! :D I think i'd die

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    IDK. My brother vapes 48mg and he was still alive as of 2 hours ago.

I couldn't even mix my nicotine base into something vapable at 48mg, I've pg based nicotine solution at 72mg/ml so at 50/50 unflavoured I can make max 36mg. If I add flavouring then even lower. So no chance for me to even try so high nicotine, I've no idea how I would handle it

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I couldn't even mix my nicotine base into something vapable at 48mg, I've pg based nicotine solution at 72mg/ml so at 50/50 unflavoured I can make max 36mg. If I add flavouring then even lower. So no chance for me to even try so high nicotine, I've no idea how I would handle it

I can't do over 18mg freebase nic, anything higher just has way too much throat hit - and I cough my head off.

If you want to lower your nic levels after a few months smoke-free, just do it gradually and slowly. I went from 18mg to 15mg after 3 months. But I did it slowly, by mixing a bottle of 18mg with a bottle of 15mg, so that my first few weeks were at 16.5mg.

Once I got down to 12mg, I stayed on that for 18 months

IDK. My brother vapes 48mg and he was still alive as of 2 hours ago.
    48mg in nic salts or freebase?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Your brain will let you know when the nic's too high. A giddy feeling where your skin turns cold is a good sign that the nic's too high. :)

I can still remember almost passing out with my first Winston cigarette at age 14. I swore I'd never smoke again ...

That feeling passed and I continued on smoking for over 30 years.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread