Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
This morning when I listened to the VapeTeam podcast that article had lots of comments debunking every lie. Now the comments are not there, and none can be posted!

All the comments are still there, and still open for posting & "liking" (they use the Facebook system). If you have Adblock or Ghostery, or similar, it may be blocking the FB module, which would be why you can't see it. I always have to turn those off long enough to read and/or post on most of those news sites' comments areas.

RVLT

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2013
NY
All the comments are still there, and still open for posting & "liking" (they use the Facebook system). If you have Adblock or Ghostery, or similar, it may be blocking the FB module, which would be why you can't see it. I always have to turn those off long enough to read and/or post on most of those news sites' comments areas.

Well good to know, I didnt realize adblock blocks FB modules. Thanks

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I tried to watch Fox news just the other night. Within the first 13 minutes of the 10pm news I was shown 6 violent murders. It left me pondering why exactly people think violent video games are the source of all these violent ideas out there. Every time I turn on the news, it's more violence. To put it simply, violence sells and increases their ratings.

PantherTS, there is a long-honored and respected journalistic tradition: "If it bleeds, it leads." This principle is in place in just about every traditional newsroom (print, radio, television) in the world, and spans the entire political spectrum of newsrooms. It's not just Fox.

PantherTS

Feb 21, 2013
mostlyclassics - Ugh, I wish that made me feel any better about it to know that it's some kind of standard.

ANYWAYS, back on topic.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to check the article out and comment/like the comments posted there. My overall message is exactly what I stated on the vape Team Live show: It's fine and good to post a simple "This is not true." or "Do your research before reporting on electronic cigarettes." But I propose we as a community come up with either a CASAA approved letter or statement that each of us can tag onto the comment section of every article we come across that is attempting to sway the reader with false-truths. The research is out there and time and time again these "investigative journalists" fail to actually look into the "facts" these "experts" are feeding them. Most people I know actually read the comment sections on articles (myself included) because we enjoy finding out what people think about the subject at hand. The statement should cover every aspect of the current angles these "experts" are trying to play and back up all statements with linked official research results. This type of wide-spread action should be seen more as a type of campaign for the truth. Does that make sense?

Sorry for rambling on and on but I'm getting tired of letting these reporters off the hook because of their ignorance and lack of thorough research. We have to remember that we really have two battles going on here. One is with the FDA (which, don't get me wrong is probably the more important one here), but the other is with the public perception of electronic cigarettes. By swaying the public perception we can increase our chances of reaching more people with the facts that are out there via simple word of mouth. We also increase our chances of reaching "the right people" who may want to help publicize this information on a grander scale.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I sent an email to Sherri Ly and invited her to do some investigative reporting. I gave her the links to the FDA's press conference where the "carcinogens" myth originated, a link to the lab report written by Westenberger, as well as a link to Dr. Laugesen's 2008 report in which he found that the quantity of TSNAs in liquid is about equivalent to the TSNAs in a nicotine patch. and I suggested some some pointed questions she should ask Westenberger.

I also suggested that she put in a FOIA request for emails covering March through July of 2009 among Westenberger and other FDA folks such as Sharfstein, DeLancy, and Hamberg. I'm willing to bet that there might have been some conversations about doing a spin job on Westenberger's findings.

The reporter responded:

Perhaps if I can get the emails you suggest, it will time well with the April proposed rulemaking.

Thanks,

I'm not holding my breath, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that finally one reporter will ask the right questions to pin down the facts and expose the liars.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
I sent an email to Sherri Ly and invited her to do some investigative reporting. I gave her the links to the FDA's press conference where the "carcinogens" myth originated, a link to the lab report written by Westenberger, as well as a link to Dr. Laugesen's 2008 report in which he found that the quantity of TSNAs in liquid is about equivalent to the TSNAs in a nicotine patch. and I suggested some some pointed questions she should ask Westenberger.

I also suggested that she put in a FOIA request for emails covering March through July of 2009 among Westenberger and other FDA folks such as Sharfstein, DeLancy, and Hamberg. I'm willing to bet that there might have been some conversations about doing a spin job on Westenberger's findings.

The reporter responded:

I'm not holding my breath, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that finally one reporter will ask the right questions to pin down the facts and expose the liars.
Is there a reason CASAA could not put in its" own FOIA request?

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Not at all. In fact, our FOIA request has been in for nearly two years. I'm hoping that there will be no stalling on handing over the documents to a reporter that works for a nationally known TV news service, and am sure that if she publishes a shocking investigative report it will get a lot more play than a press release from a little-known non-profit organization.

Lilkurty

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Canada

The reporter responded:

I posted a bunch of studies in the FB comments showing all of her points are false;)
Lilkurty aka CJ Tweed

metropolitan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
new york city
wow, that article was depressing. it's the usual routine --try to make something new sound shocking and scandalous for no other reason than to keep people glued to their TV's in fear of change in their lives.
great job FOX! now many tobacco smokers will remain tobacco smokers thanks to your breathless shock "journalism"

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
This is not a typical FOX news story on e-cigarettes. Over the past 3 years the vast majority of fair and balanced e-cigarette stories have been from FOX and its local affiliates. I still can remember the very first time I saw a news anchor actually question the scare mongering (rolled her eyes and said something about it should be compared to smoking) and it was a FOX network reporter. Conservative FOX personalities (Varney, Stossel, Ablow) have been early supporters while more liberal personalities (Imus, Stern) have simply repeated ANTZ lies about e-cigarettes or made their own negative stuff up.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
This is not a typical FOX news story on e-cigarettes. Over the past 3 years the vast majority of fair and balanced e-cigarette stories have been from FOX and its local affiliates. I still can remember the very first time I saw a news anchor actually question the scare mongering (rolled her eyes and said something about it should be compared to smoking) and it was a FOX network reporter. Conservative FOX personalities (Varney, Stossel, Ablow) have been early supporters while more liberal personalities (Imus, Stern) have simply repeated ANTZ lies about e-cigarettes or made their own negative stuff up.
Well said !!!
:thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread