2/4/14 - CASAA OR US; N. Manketo MN US & Lk Charles LA US; junk UC RvSd 'study' spreads; Cons. Rpts. anti-vaping; all US domestic: NY, IL, IA, T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
US domestic only today: CASAA call for OR; Junky UC Riverside 'study' (or is it an 'investigation'?] picked up by another ABC affiliate; Consumer reports makes it clear that they oppose vaping as THR/cessation;

Excluded: City Council hearings in N. Manketo MN US (Feb 18) and Lake Charles LA US (Feb 19) - see legis forum.

Coverage US domestic only - states: NY, IL, IA, TX, OK, AZ

CASAA call to action in OR: CASAA: Call to Action! Oregon E-Cigarette Usage Ban (you heard it here first: OR was vulnerable to a "minor morph" and voila!)

(ECF's own InfoZone) Super Bowl Ad Draws Controversy - ECF InfoZone [Gregory Conley, CASAA legal advisor, discusses Super Bowl ad by njoy]

(WSJ, US nat'l business) blogs.wsj.
com/corporate-intelligence/2014/02/03/more-e-cigarettes-in-the-hands-of-big-tobacco/ [and vapers get smeared again w/ the "BT" label. story is factual regarding PMI's (Altria's) purchase of Green Smoke, but written w/ a ton of bias. Close your browser and clear your cookies to get behind any WSJ paywall.)

(Fox business, US nat'l) www.foxbusiness.
com/investing/2014/02/03/altria-bolsters-e-cigarette-business-with-110m-buy-green-smoke/ [similar to above, not as biased]

(CNBC, US nat'l) www.cnbc.
com/id/101387759 [No junk, but curious: Results from the 2014 American E-Cigarette Etiquette Survey will be revealed via news release on Tuesday, Feb. 11 at 5 a.m. Pacific Time. The survey of more than 1,000 adults, conducted by Harris Interactive on behalf of Mistic, will reveal how Americans feel about electronic cigarettes and whether or not they should be allowed in certain locations. A list of helpful etiquette tips for vapers also will be unveiled via Mistic’s Facebook page and @misticecig on Twitter.] Also here on Yahoo News: finance.yahoo.
com/news/2014-american-e-cigarette-etiquette-130500132.html

(Consumer Reports, US nat'l) www.komonews.
com/news/consumer/E-Cigarettes-under-the-microscope-243430171.html [Another C-U article that smears vapers w/ BT "cooties" as it were. Consumer Reports makes it clear: they've got a position, and they're sticking w/ the approved "science" :rolleyes: "Consumer Reports' advice is don't start with e-cigarettes just for fun. And if you're trying to quit smoking, stick with approved and better-studied methods, including nicotine gum, patches, and counseling..]

(Questionable US nat'l web site allegedly catering to health professinals) medicalxpress.com/news./2014-02-stub-misguided-e-cigarette
html [surprisingly pro-vaping article which discusses a study that I can only find ref'd in this Italian-language CV: www.policlinicovittorioemanuele
it/sites/default/files/op_trasparenza/Polosa%20Riccardo.pdf note that this site also published the Phillip McAndrews hit job, which alleged that PG was a "hazard," (and which apparently never got much traction after some initial syndication) so I don't have much faith in the site: medicalxpress.com/news/2014-01-e-cigarettes-poor-smoking-cessation-tool-chemicals.
html Also see: www.sciencecodex.
com/time_to_stub_out_misguided_ecigarette_regulation-127307 ]

(Another Questionable US nat'l web site allegedly catering to health professinals) www.healthcaregloba.l
com/healthcare_technology/know-the-types-before-choosing-e-cigarettes-for-your-health [unilluminating article by a cub reporter who doesn't seem to know the first thing about PVs but who is purporting to advise readers on what to buy. Some junk.]

(Credible? US Nat'l web site catering to med. research) www.clinicaltrialsmagazine.
com/debate-heats-electronic-cigarettes/
[lists a number of studies on PVs and appears to be a sensible balanced article. Although it doesn't appear to have benefited from a copy ed., e.g.: Research now shows that the estimated combustible tobacco-related deaths are up to 98%. 98% of what population?? :)]

(Buffalo NY US ind. web site) www.bizjournals.
com/buffalo/blog/health_matters/2014/02/safety-of-e-cigarette-vapors-questioned.html [hit job story by ignorant cub reporter, cites ... but curiously acknowledges that the results aren't all that dangerous. However it's another "be afraid, be very afraid" article, perhaps designed to boost the status of a local business.]

(Freeport IL US - Rockford/Janesville area local paper) www.journalstandard.
com/article/20140203/OPINION/140209838/10288/NEWS [Local MD junky hit job article urging FDA regulation; fans the flames on minor access even though IL banmed sales of PVs and other THR prod.s to minors in Aug.]

(Mason City IA US local paper) globegazette.com/news/iowa/bill-to-ban-e-cigarette-sales-to-minors-advances-in/article_6a996cb1-c4b7-5eda-9a52-e40c996d56f7
html [IA Minor sales ban advances out of Sen. Cmte 22-1, despite opposition from ANTZ who want to see a "vaping = smoking" bill. Little junk. For more on IA, see: Public health groups: Don't ban sale of e-cigarettes to minors « Watchdog.org and This is what local public health looks like, Iowa edition | Anti-THR Lies and related topics ]

(Sioux City IA US local paper) siouxcityjournal.com/news/state-and-regional/iowa/bill-to-ban-e-cigarette-sales-to-minors-advances-in/article_afb574cb-681d-5b1e-92ed-3500155515b3
html [similar to above, not much junk]

(Flower Mound TX US local paper) starlocalmedia
.com/theleader/flower-mound-joins-others-in-regulating-e-cigarettes/article_abb8fdbe-8d3a-11e3-bb84-0019bb2963f4
html [Flower Mound passes vaping=smoking ord., but it appears to only be a minor ban and apply vaping on city-owned bldgs. Despite that, "Councilwoman Jean Levenick, who was the only council member to vote against the ordinance, said she supported the part of the law that prohibits the sale to and possession of e-cigarettes by minors. But she wasn't convinced of the anecdotal information the council was provided, which included opinions from various surgeons general from across the country about the danger of e-cigarettes." Good for her!]

(Tulsa OK US Fox affiliate) www.fox23.
com/news/local/story/Hidden-bacteria-living-in-electronic-cigarettes/gDJnubjBY0Sqb80s4XuqqQ.cspx [OMG, they found bacteria in PVs. Wait for this to spread to other fox affiliates - let's see if this cub reporter gets a promotion. Have they ever tested a video remote??]

(Phoenix AZ US ABC affiliate) www.abc15.
com/dpp/news/local_news/investigations/are-e-cigarettes-safe-to-use-new-research-shows-metals-found-in-vapor-of-electronic-cigarettes [Dr. Prue's study spreads to another ABC affiliate. Stanton gets quoted, too. Junkfest.]

COPPER, NICKEL AND TIN FOUND

"I would say e-cigarettes are the cigarettes of the 21 st century," according to scientist Dr. Prue Talbot. She and her team at the University of California Riverside are among the first in the country to analyze the vapor in e-cigarettes. [another brilliant cub reporter - congrats to the US educational system]

(Phoenix AZ suburb local paper) www.bradenton.
com/2014/02/04/4971749/cases-of-nicotine-over-exposure.html [another dumb junk-filled nic. poisoning story]

Last edited:

Navy20

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2014
New York State, USA
I still insist, at least for me as I can't speak on anyone else's behalf, that nicotine patches, gum and lozenges did not work for me. Wellbutrin and Chantix did not work for me. Big Tobacco had ahold of me, I tried the Pharmaceuticals and for me they didn't work . . . I was back to smoking in no time. E-cigarettes . . . Been nothing but vaping for over nine (9) months now, I feel good, I breathe easier. Big Tobacco did their harm, now I am going to fight back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread