Former JAMA editor George Lundberg advocates tobacco harm reduction, criticizes health agency misinformation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Treating Recalcitrant Nicotine Addiction
Willful blindness of our public health officials on tobacco is still killing hundreds of thousands of Americans each year.
George Lundberg, Gil Ross, Elizabeth Whelan

Medical News: Treating Recalcitrant Nicotine Addiction: the EBM Way - in Columns, At Large from MedPage Today

Another, newer technology which is rapidly attracting desperate smokers is the electronic cigarette (e-cigarette), which delivers nicotine-containing vapor from a cigarette look-alike when puffed.

But again, our guardians of public health have recoiled from the method and attempted to ban them without any conceivable rationale, in another flight from science.

Despite the demonstrated benefits of harm reduction, and the lack of efficacy of the approved pharmaceutical products (such as patches, gum, and medications), public health spokespersons, governmental and private, adhere to the mantra, "there is no safe tobacco product."

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
There are a number of negative and false misleading comments up on the page. You have to be registered with Medpage to leave a comment.

i really doubt that these "snus" have NO RISK! it's proven that the other forms of smokeless tobacco increase the risk of basically anything it touches...plus places it doesn't touch like pancrease & bladder cancers..

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
I am registered and just left a comment.

UPDATE: My comment was accepted. Clive Bates also posted a comment!

For those who don't know him, see this post: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-convincing-arguments-repeal-eu-snus-ban.html

Thank you for leaving a comment.

I was thinking of trying to register even though I am not connected with the health industry. After reading the negative comments all I wanted to do is tear them a new............... never mind....

That very likely would not have helped the cause, even though it would have made me feel temporarily better.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Lies2.jpg

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
This article has been reprinted in KevinMD.com, a widely-read medical blog. Comments there have a chance of being read by a lot of health care professionals.

The truth about reduced risk smokeless tobacco
I probably should not say this but--- Irene Gibson who posted a negative and lengthy comment seems to be a huge Obama supporter. Why am I not surprised?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread