? for snus n stonewall users

Status
Not open for further replies.

W Axl Rose

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Iowa
Ok, so clearly EVERYTHING that works for me to stay of cigarettes will soon be banned. FINE, whatever, I give up. So can someone tell me what the shelf life is on stonewalls? I plan to buy a ton and put them in my freezer (unless that's a bad idea, to freeze them??). What is the shelf life on snus if frozen? I'm going to calculate what I will need for that if I live to be 100 and make the investment.
Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Geez.
Maybe it would just be cheaper for me to move to Sweden??

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Haven't heard of anything on a ban on snus. There is the PACT act but that wouldn't ban it, but you would have to pay the taxes. Don't know about stonewalls. I've heard some rumors but don't know anything specific.

You can keep snus in the freezer for at least a year in a sealed freezer bag. Don't know much about the shelf life of stonewalls.

slybootz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Chicago
www.jimmyk.rocks
Sorry, I was just assuming that snus was next. I was a bit pissy after reading about the stonewall thing.

ahh good to know. i don't think there will be a ban on snus, but you never know what they will tax next. they tried a snus ban in europe many years ago, and repealed it. i doubt they'll try it in the states, but taxes will surely increase on tobacco, no doubt

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
ahh good to know. i don't think there will be a ban on snus, but you never know what they will tax next. they tried a snus ban in europe many years ago, and repealed it. i doubt they'll try it in the states, but taxes will surely increase on tobacco, no doubt

There still is a ban on snus in the EU with the exception of Sweden and Norway, but it is legal to import Swedish snus for personal use. You just can't sell it from within the country. Well... that's my understanding.

A few people here live in the EU so perhaps they can enlighten us state siders.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Yes, snus is banned in the EU. Only Sweden is allowed to openly sell it.

Wait and see how PACT is interpreted before you see no fear for ordering snus online from Sweden. If it's not stopped immediately after PACT passes the Senate and is signed into law, it will be specifically a short time later, as an oversight in the law. This will impact only online sales, however. Local stores likely will continue to sell chew and snus products.

Stonewalls are so sealed in their packets that they should last forever. My wife gave me a green light to order a lifetime supply. And I probably will, since I depend so heavily on them.

I had a long talk with my tobacco shop owner the other day, about being in the middle of a room with all the exit doors slamming shut on me. We are being driven, by laws, back to the local tobacco shop where we can buy expensive cigarettes and pay full federal and state taxes on all tobacco products remaining legal to sell.

Mammal

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2010
Connecticut, USA
Stonewall as in the Star dissolvable product? If you're talking the dissolvable tablet 'snuff' they're in pill-type foil and I imagine they'd last forever if kept out of extreme heat and UV [that last bit is easy when they're inside the box]. I suppose freezing probably can't hurt.

If you're talking about the loose dip that I think they also made - no idea, but I suppose freezing would be more useful there if it doesn't ruin the texture. Still, if it's a sealed plastic container I wouldn't think it'd dry out too fast... 'cellar temperature,' maybe?

[I was excited to find this stuff last year, but it mostly proved that I was into the 'habit' of smoking... and just before that, I made the mistake of trying the high-test nicotine lozenges from a three-letter pharmacy chain and greatly exacerbated some periodontal problems I didn't realize I had, so anything that threatens to leave nicotine debris right on the gumline is out for me. If I'd found the dissolvable stuff first it probably would've been less a problem - the 'medical' lozenge practically left a hole in my cheek, but I still tried to keep at it for a week before giving up. Anyhey, if you're going to use the dissolvable, it'd be cheap insurance to get in the habit of swishing some water after, just to avoid leaving the powder in sensitive places.]

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Not a bad suggestion, Mammal, especially for those with identified sensitivity to contact with nicotine or tobacco. I have neither. I've used Stonewall daily since shortly after its introduction in 2004. E-smoked since January 2008. I do both at the same time (or use snus instead of Stonewall sometimes).

My morning's first coffee is drunk while a Java Stonewall rests in my cheek.

Compare the price of each 4mg Stonewall piece to a 4mg Commit lozenge. Hahahahahaha. Talk about Big Pharma ripoffs ...

Mammal

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2010
Connecticut, USA
Not a bad suggestion, Mammal, especially for those with identified sensitivity to contact with nicotine or tobacco. I have neither. I've used Stonewall daily since shortly after its introduction in 2004. E-smoked since January 2008. I do both at the same time (or use snus instead of Stonewall sometimes).

Yeah, just to clear it up for anyone who stumbles on this - I never thought I had a special sensitivity, but the trouble with the generic lozenges was that the stuff used to lozengify them [an alginate?] makes quite the sticky slime and clings in place like nothing else... combine that with what turned out to be a strong concentration [hmm... "4mg", says the box - doesn't sound like much, but subjectively...] and dry mouth from my sinuses convincing me to sleep with my mouth open,* and it took trouble I didn't know was lurking and made it a whole lot worse real fast.

(Get a WaterPik now, kids, it's cheap insurance, and if you can feel a 'notch' at the base of a tooth, run to the dentist, don't sit and watch it because it's painless.. There's going to be some expensive work in my future.)

My morning's first coffee is drunk while a Java Stonewall rests in my cheek.

Compare the price of each 4mg Stonewall piece to a 4mg Commit lozenge. Hahahahahaha. Talk about Big Pharma ripoffs ...
Well, they do have that 'biotech' advantage where it just grows in the dirt!
I stumbled on the company like 10 years ago and was waiting for their stuff to become available... sounds like they had to give up on the reduced-TSNA cigarettes, but it also sounds like that might've convinced the big players to clean up somewhat, if not to such extreme levels. Just checked the website and it looks like they're making some headway with the FDA, actually [Stonewall is just a bigger piece of Ariva, and from the press release it seems the FDA is entertaining 'Modified Risk Tobacco Products' now that they have the authority], so maybe y'all don't need to panic just yet.

(As far as I know they're still available at Walgreens, but the catch-22 is that you'd never know a major chain was carrying it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread