Flavor West Blood Orange Safeness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
I really love Blood Orange. There aren't many Blood Orange flavorings, but turns out Flavor West's is pretty good. However, it looks a bit "oily," like if I don't shake it I can see splotches separating out... but only sort of. I don't know, it's minor, but I don't see it often even in other citrus flavorings. I've been DIYing a long time. I also did order from Bull City, who are USUALLY good about warnings for anything not so great in the flavorings, but I'm not sure about this since it's not a diketone issue. It also seemed to possibly stain one of my bottles a tad but I'm less sure about that. I haven't used much but it doesn't seem to be any harsher or causing any unusual side effects.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone else uses this regularly or has any input. On the one hand I feel like I should just put it aside but there's no sense doing that permanently until I do some research, so here I am. I'm not using any juices with that as a component right now but I figured I'd might as well figure out if I can.

Any info would be appreciated.

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
All orange flavorings I've had, extracts and mixes, are either cloudy or have the separation anxiety you described. My (non-blood) orange FW extract is cloudy but without the anxiety. I had some forgotten brand of blood orange pre-mixed that I tossed because of the strange orange oil floating on top that refused to blend even when "angry nanny" shaken. Then again, the "Bloody Good Oranges" liquid from vape Wild didn't have the floating oil, but it was cloudy, and even etched the bottle it was in. Honestly, I might vape something slightly, consistently cloudy, though I'm not totally comfortable with liquid that etches its own bottle, but I won't vape anything that has anxiety issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddirtyvapes

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Most natural orange flavorings contain orange oil extract. This is safe to vape but does separate, Take for instance the inawera wera garden orange it seperates within minutes of mixing. I found that a good hour in an Ultrasonic cleaner usually keeps it together a long while but they usually require shaking while vaping. Adding some PGA to the concentrated flavoring before adding it to the mix also helps but many can't tolorate the alcohol taste. A thicker base of VG also helps keep it together longer but makes shaking it a lot harder.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddirtyvapes

Koolkiz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2014
United States
It contains ethanol in the suspension. Shake it very well before using. A link to the msds (SDS) sheet. I would also recommend looking at the msds sheets from flavorwest before buying. They have a habit of not disclosing fructose in the flavorings. Such as Yellow cake which has 20-30% fructose. They have more products that contain fructose. Just buyer beware. If you care to know. Otherwise, never mind
Dropbox - Natural Blood Orange Flavor MSDS.pdf
http://juic.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Yellow-Cake-Flavor-NA-FW-CAK.pdf

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
@Koolkiz No, BELIEVE ME, I am someone who stays informed and wants to know everything I'm using in my juice, within reason. That's a huge part of why I DIY. I go to great lengths to keep all of my juices diketone-free, and they are certainly not the only things we shouldn't be inhaling.

I really don't use FW that much, I think I have a couple of flavors from them for various reasons. I got Yellow cake as it's one of the few that doesn't have diketones as far as I can tell, but I'm dismayed to hear it has so much fructose... or really any at all.

I rarely hear about fructose and safety things, not like we do about diketones. Is it just as bad, vaping-wise? Worse? Less bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread