Status
Not open for further replies.

yuttynutt

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2011
Minnesota
As you already know, some tanks come with cartomizers that use a regular Boge cartomizer, like...

Lil' Mama Regular Size Boge SR 2.8-3.0 - $1.50 : Big Daddy Vapor

and some tanks come with cartomizers that have a flanged end, like.....

Tank Replacement Dual Coil Cartomizers, 1.5 ohms, Triple Hole

so, my question is this:

Can you use a non-flanged end cartomizer in a tank that originally came with a flanged end carto?
Has anyone ever tried this?

*Note: I know one picture has a regular carto that is not punched and one is single and one is dual, so don't pay any attention to that...just asking about the flanged end part.

I only use the cartos without the flange, for the simple reason that my tanks don't seem to sit properly on one of my mods. I was worried that because the tank had a seat for the flanged end that it might not fit properly (which was a problem in the first place), so what I did was flip the tank so the end where the flange sits was now at the top problem solved.

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
That's exactly what I do as well. It's also easier to clean up the bottom of the tank if there's a drop or two of juice when refilling.

I also find that if I use a drip tip that is larger at the top than the tank hole, there are no worries with the tank sliding off.

I only use the cartos without the flange, for the simple reason that my tanks don't seem to sit properly on one of my mods. I was worried that because the tank had a seat for the flanged end that it might not fit properly (which was a problem in the first place), so what I did was flip the tank so the end where the flange sits was now at the top problem solved.

Keekers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Michigan
The label must have some plasticky stuff in it- not just paper. If it's not getting past that, have you tried to sharpen it? It's really easy and some are very soft metal like mine and dull very quickly- mine was putting big dents in and sliding off. Now, it goes thru so easily I can hardly tell.
I didn't even know the black stuff was a sticker. Geez. Shows how much I know! After not being able to punch a hole in the black one I went and tried it on another stainless steel one- easy breezy. So now I'm sure it's the black cartos and not the saddle valve. How do you sharpen yours? That would be good to know for future reference :)

It's really not advisable to use cartos with the black sticker on them in a tank. You will be inhaling adhesive and possibly degraded plastic. I just stick to stainless cartos. If you already have a stockpile of them, you could probably get near what you paid for them in the classified section. Inaddition, that extra diameter on the carto will make for a difficult fit in most tanks. Just my
Good to know!!! And good idea to sell them on the classies. I never stop learning on these forums. I just learned that I was using the wrong charger for some of my batteries (thank goodness it was short lived). I'm so glad to be a member of ECF or I might not have had my teeth/face for much longer.

donesmokin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2011
NE Oregon
THX Rttch! That looks to be a great way to get the job done.

I think I learn something everyday here on the forum. Rttch's post is a case in point. There's a really great bunch of peeps here.

Ah the ol' flip the tank trick. Yeah I was doing that too. I got it wrong once 'cuz I wasn't paying enough attention. Anymore I don't worry too much about which end is up!

I'm using shorty 510/510 adapters now. The draw would get too stiff for me after a couple days. The adapter gives me the air flow I want. Maybe that won't be such a problem now with the single coil XL cartos.

For those with a dremel, there is an attachment to get those stickers off nice and easy. Once again, Pbusardo has a video of how to do it.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I didn't even know the black stuff was a sticker. Geez. Shows how much I know! After not being able to punch a hole in the black one I went and tried it on another stainless steel one- easy breezy. So now I'm sure it's the black cartos and not the saddle valve. How do you sharpen yours? That would be good to know for future reference :)

I just use a nail file on it. If you don't know how to sharpen things in general, just find a friend. GL

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 2, 2012
    Clermont, FL
    Yes you can. I'm presuming we are talking about a smoketek (inexpensive) DCT. You don't mention the device you want to use this with, tho. If it's an eGo-type device, you can use one of these...

EGO Stainless Steel 3.5ml DCT Tank Cone

This 'cone' provides a platform bottom so that the otherwise slide-y DCT can't slide downward. As mentioned in the thread, a 'pot belly' type of drip tip will deter the DCT from sliding upward as well. Together this works just fine.

*snip*

I bought my first tank on Thursday and got one of those. Not only does it have function like described if using a non flanged carto (Granted I have a flanged one right now) ... it defiantly cleans up the look. My only real complaint is that the air slits are kind of large. Seems to give it a very airy pull. I'm going to experiment with putting a small dab of RTV silicone on one side to kind of close it up some. Probably going to do it tonight before I goto bed, so it has overnight to cure. (Provided I can find my tube of RTV :) )

Keekers

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Michigan

I just use a nail file on it. If you don't know how to sharpen things in general, just find a friend. GL

I can do that! (use a nail file)

Sev00

ECF Veteran
    Mar 4, 2012
    Texas
    As you already know, some tanks come with cartomizers that use a regular Boge cartomizer, like...

Lil' Mama Regular Size Boge SR 2.8-3.0 - $1.50 : Big Daddy Vapor

and some tanks come with cartomizers that have a flanged end, like.....

Tank Replacement Dual Coil Cartomizers, 1.5 ohms, Triple Hole

so, my question is this:

Can you use a non-flanged end cartomizer in a tank that originally came with a flanged end carto?
    Has anyone ever tried this?

*Note: I know one picture has a regular carto that is not punched and one is single and one is dual, so don't pay any attention to that...just asking about the flanged end part.

Well if you want to use a non flange in a Smoktech there are ways to approach it. If you are using an eGo style battery, just add a shorty cone. The tank will not go below it. Be carefule when not on the PV. If you have a provari, lava, or Silver Bullet I believe the tank rests on the top of the PV. If you have a mod that leaves a gap, consider finding an o-ring with an inside diameter of 9mm. Get a material that takes heat well. Should be under a buck. Put the o-ring were the flange would have been.

Sev

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread