first RBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenpaw

Jan 16, 2013
salem Oregon
so i bought a AGA-T+ and im trying to set it up got the wick all oxidized wrapped my coil checked for shorts and screwed it onto my vamo checked the ohms at 2.0 fired it at 3.0w and it popped right at the top by the center post so i tried a second coil it tested out at 1.8 fired it up and same thing it popped at the top what am i doin wrong here?

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
so i bought a AGA-T+ and im trying to set it up got the wick all oxidized wrapped my coil checked for shorts and screwed it onto my vamo checked the ohms at 2.0 fired it at 3.0w and it popped right at the top by the center post so i tried a second coil it tested out at 1.8 fired it up and same thing it popped at the top what am i doin wrong here?

Just another tip - put the Vamo into volts until you know the coil is stable. Start at low volts and work up, checking the ohms as you go. When you're in watts the pv is automatically adjusting the volts for you - if the coil is unstable and the ohms keep changing quickly it will be hard for the Vamo to read the resistance and adjust.

SteveW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
Australia

There is A LOT of information on this particular RBA in the forums with literally dozens of suggestions and tips. I can only talk about what worked best for me. This sounds completely counter intuitive but it worked for me. Roll the wick solid and as tight as you can, take your time. Fold down the edge that you roll towards so that is tucked into your wick when you roll it up. Make sure it is a nice snug fit in the hole and face the seam toward the centre post. I did NOT go through the extensive oxidation process. I heated it with an ordinary lighter then soaked it in juice and lit it (only did this once but you could do it a couple of times if you want). I coiled it in place, making sure the wick did not touch the bottom of the tank, like on the z atty tutorial (on the Provape site). What you are doing with your wattage, in my case voltage using a Provari, is the way to go. start with a low voltage. With the Provari the lowest I could go is 2.9v and my coil had a resistance of 1.5 ohms. Use very short pulses at first and very slowly bring up your wick increasing the voltage and working the coil to get an even glow over its length. Once you are there, wet the wick with juice and test it.

As I say this worked like a charm for me. I have done it again with complete success and have not popped a single coil. This worked for me but if you still have no success you might go on the hunt through the forums where there is a ton of info. It will probably take most of the day to wade thought it. Good luck, and be sure to report back on your experiences.

Cheers

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Won't watts mode keep it from firing hot? That's how it works on the eVic.

If the coil is stable - yes. But if the coil is literally jumping around resistance wise then the mod has to keep monitoring the ohms and adjusting the voltage. Far easier to test it with either low voltage on the mod and check the resistance readings, or a digital multi-meter. If the mulitmeter keeps jumping and won't settle on a reading you know the coil isn't stable.

SteveW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
Australia
Just another tip - put the Vamo into volts until you know the coil is stable. Start at low volts and work up, checking the ohms as you go. When you're in watts the pv is automatically adjusting the volts for you - if the coil is unstable and the ohms keep changing quickly it will be hard for the Vamo to read the resistance and adjust.

Good info Kiwi. Did not realize this was going on in watts mode on the Vamo. In that case, definitely use the voltage option and proceed gently.

hotrod3539

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Pickerington, Ohio U.S.A

Ok i have messed with this thing myself using the same setup you are and here is your problem.......There is too much distance between your center post and your wick where the coil starts wrapping and the wire between the two is whats popping. there are 3 ways to fix this.

1: Pull your wick towards the center post slightly to get it closer and shorten the wire distance between the two but don't let the wick touch the center post.

2: Put a couple very small washers on the center post between the top nut and the middle one and capture your wire between them. The washers should be large enough to close down most of the gap between your wick and center post but again, don't let them touch.

3: When you wrap the center post bring the wire all the way around and twist it on its self several times to double the thickness of the wire between the post and your wick and trim it close to but not touching your wick.

Try one of these methods and you should have no more popping problems! Happy vaping and enjoy that AGA-T+ and Vamo!

BikerBob

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
VA
Even if you've checked for shorts, I've found that shorts can happen with a new coil or wick as soon as you fire it. Might be due to the heat causing expansion of the coil or wick, or from the action of the vaporization (boiling of the eliquid) agitating the thin layer of oxidation. Solution I've found: oxidize the wick some more by wetting with PG, VG, or eliquid, and lighting with a match. Repeat a few times. After you've done a few of these coils, you'll have an idea of how much oxidation you need.

Popping of the coil happens when you try to get all of the wattage in that small area between the top post, and where the coil shorts to the wick (at the top). All of that wattage is supposed to be spread out over the entire coil, so that no spot would get hot enough to melt the coil. Contact with the wick will keep the coil less hot, as the heat will go into the wick as well. Most of the time, this hot spot will be at the top of the coil, since that's the spot that is most difficult to keep the coil near enough to the wick. Too tight, and you will scrape the oxidation away. Too loose, and you'll have only the coil heating up (and glowing)

When breaking in a new coil or wick, I start at the lowest voltage, and slowly work my way up to my normal vaping voltage. A drop of eliquid on it, when first firing, may delay the coil popping long enough for you to see where the hot spot is.

Nickycaps182

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2013
Delaware

Are you using the wire that came with it or did you buy kanthol? The wire withnitbis for the silicone wicks

StevenD

Oct 2, 2012
United States
I've never been able to have a coil NOT pop on me in the exact way you're describing unless I use the 'drill bit' method. And it's never popped on me using the method. Find Basilray's video on the mesh build he did on the Lavagen for an EXCELLENT example of this method. For the AGA-T2, a friend of mine found that Equate ear swabs are the perfect diameter to use using this method. Added bonuses are that it's easier to see and adjust the coil and if you cut off both ends just where the cotton starts, it's just slightly longer than you need the wick to be, so it's great for measuring your mesh.

Greenpaw

Jan 16, 2013
salem Oregon
yeah i was using the wire that came with it all i have left now is too short so im back to waiting for more wire to get here should have ordered extra wire when i ordered the aga but hind sight is 20/20

on edit:

So i decided to scavenge some wire for a coil, from a ce4 that i cant stand. Actually, come to think of it, i think that coil was actually one i put in my self from an old "smart smoke" cartomizer. any ways i used the drill bit tech, and boom its working. i dunno whats so different looks the same as it did the other 2 times, but now its working. its tasting a bit like burning hair right now but that seems to be going away thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ
I tried using completely unoxidized wick the other day, success first try. I think the most important thing is not to wrap it too tight, especially the top wrap. If the pressure is light enough your wick will not ground your wire.

My lighter is out of gas so i had to use unoxidized, turns out great :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread