Finally Figured Out How To Properly Use Bottom Coil Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcalvanese

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2012
Pennsylvania
I purchased a few of the Davides, and a few of the Protank II's. I tried removing 1 wick, both wicks, dry burning, priming, and probably a few other tricks. They just did not hit consistantly. I think the basic idea is a good one as far as the replaceable coils, but they are still not there yet as far as consistancy in feeding it.

After a couple weeks of trying to get these to work, I finally figured out the proper way to use them. Below are the step by step instructions, and make sure you follow them exactly, and in the correct order.

1. Order a bunch of decent cartos(do not proceed to step 2 until your shipment arrives).
2. Dissassemble your bottom coil tanks.
3. Throw everything in the trash except for the glass tubes (you will need these in step 4).
4. Stand the glass tubes up on a paper towl.
5. Start filling your cartos and stand them up in the glass tubes so they do not tip over while the liquid soaks in.
6. Once the cartos are full, place them on the battery of your choice, and enjoy a nice consistant vape.

below is a picture that describes this procedure...
Clearomizers.jpg

Note that if you decide to use cartomizer tanks, you don't even need to save the glass tubes.

I have put alot of work into coming up with this, so I hope it is helpful to everyone...:)

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
Cute post. :) I've got to say though that cartos must have come a looooong way since I last used them, because they were nothing if not consistently inconsistent back then. ;) Of course, when I was buying them it was those or the atomizers that you had to use coffee stirrers or fluval or pyramid teabags with to get them to work correctly. Needless to say, I went to dripping I was so frustrated. Three. Drops. Every. Few. Minutes. :p

As for the protanks, I just removed the silicon cap off the center and now get a perfect hit each time with no leaking. *shrug* Funny how each person has a different experience.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Cute post. :) I've got to say though that cartos must have come a looooong way since I last used them, because they were nothing if not consistently inconsistent back then. ;) Of course, when I was buying them it was those or the atomizers that you had to use coffee stirrers or fluval or pyramid teabags with to get them to work correctly. Needless to say, I went to dripping I was so frustrated. Three. Drops. Every. Few. Minutes. :p

As for the protanks, I just removed the silicon cap off the center and now get a perfect hit each time with no leaking. *shrug* Funny how each person has a different experience.

A good glass carto-tank, like a Phiniac with Smok DCC's (3 hole punched) or IKenvape cartos are so much more consistent and much less hassle than most clearos. They never leak, never need cleaned, provide better flavor (no muting of the flavor), are good and consistent for 8 - 15 days and then just replace the carto with another one. No maintenance what so ever.

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
The problem with bottom coils is that they don't come premade with (the proper amount of) cotton wick. Or even the proper amount of silica wick for that matter. Like you, I was ready to trash my new PT2's shortly after receiving them. I went through several new coils and thought that surely all of the coils couldn't be bad therefore, the problem must be with the tank itself. I tried my hand at rebuilding first using silica. Better, but still started leaking/gurgling after a short time. After much trial and error with different forms of cotton I finally settled on, and am very happy with, cooking twine. LOT'S of it.

I've never tried a carto so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. I do know that my cotton rebuilds are FAR better than any silica (top or bottom) coils that I have tried. Plus, I can rebuild it in about 5 minutes for :2c:

NiNi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
Paulden, Arizona
Aw, heck, just buy the glass inserts for the PT2's instead of buying the whole tank, LOL!

I just put all my top coil toppers in my "Vape Apocalypse" storage because I just can't get them to work the way I want them to. The PT2's are pretty consistent *FOR ME*. I replaced the wicks with cotton and don't have a problem dry burning the coils. Most of the leaking I experienced was from the gaskets disappearing, like shooting into space when I was disassembling them for cleaning.......

........but Monday, I pull the trigger on a ProVari.........and I'll see how well these PT2's work with it:blink:

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
How many gauge kanthal wire you using, how many wraps and what ohms do you get from them plz thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32ga, 5 wraps (looking from the top), wrapped around a large (approx. 2mm) needle. The twine is pulled into the coil using a bead threading needle. I get 2.0-2.2 ohms. The ohms could be increased or decreased by using a different size needle, drill bit, etc.

bcalvanese

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2012
Pennsylvania

What cartos where you using?

I've always used Boge or Smoktech and they have always been very consistant.

Also, I am going to try removing the silicon cap on one of my Protanks/Davides to see if that works or not.

Thanks,

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
The problem with bottom coils is that they don't come premade with (the proper amount of) cotton wick. Or even the proper amount of silica wick for that matter. Like you, I was ready to trash my new PT2's shortly after receiving them. I went through several new coils and thought that surely all of the coils couldn't be bad therefore, the problem must be with the tank itself. I tried my hand at rebuilding first using silica. Better, but still started leaking/gurgling after a short time. After much trial and error with different forms of cotton I finally settled on, and am very happy with, cooking twine. LOT'S of it.

I've never tried a carto so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. I do know that my cotton rebuilds are FAR better than any silica (top or bottom) coils that I have tried. Plus, I can rebuild it in about 5 minutes for :2c:

Aw, heck, just buy the glass inserts for the PT2's instead of buying the whole tank, LOL!

I just put all my top coil toppers in my "Vape Apocalypse" storage because I just can't get them to work the way I want them to. The PT2's are pretty consistent *FOR ME*. I replaced the wicks with cotton and don't have a problem dry burning the coils. Most of the leaking I experienced was from the gaskets disappearing, like shooting into space when I was disassembling them for cleaning.......

........but Monday, I pull the trigger on a ProVari.........and I'll see how well these PT2's work with it:blink:

All of this just to vape. I just put in a nice fresh carto in my glass tank and I'm good to go for 8 - 15 days and don't have to burn, twist, adjust, anything. I really don't get it.

jotook24tovaip

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas Tx. USA
Funny, I feel where your coming from, in my case I had the opposite problem. I have never met a carto/tank etc. that would work more than 4-5 puffs (in or out of a tank type device. When I got my first bottom coil device (t3s) wow! I have used nothing else since save iclear 16's and other bottom coil clearos like evod, protank and similar. Funny how the old saying goes one Mans trash is another Mans gold...

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Funny, I feel where your coming from, in my case I had the opposite problem. I have never met a carto/tank etc. that would work more than 4-5 puffs (in or out of a tank type device. When I got my first bottom coil device (t3s) wow! I have used nothing else since save iclear 16's and other bottom coil clearos like evod, protank and similar. Funny how the old saying goes one Mans trash is another Mans gold...

Either you had a bad carto (it happens) or you didn't prime it correctly would be my guess. There are just too many of us that use carto-tanks without any problems or hassles. Glad you found what works for you.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
What cartos where you using?

I've always used Boge or Smoktech and they have always been very consistant.

Also, I am going to try removing the silicon cap on one of my Protanks/Davides to see if that works or not.

Thanks,

Don't hold me to this because it's been too long, but I "think" the last ones I used were Boges. However, I switched to dripping about the time that e-Gos were becoming really popular, so that may tell you how long it's been. :D

Good luck with it. :)

Criticalmass

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
32ga, 5 wraps (looking from the top), wrapped around a large (approx. 2mm) needle. The twine is pulled into the coil using a bead threading needle. I get 2.0-2.2 ohms. The ohms could be increased or decreased by using a different size needle, drill bit, etc.

Can you do a pictorial of this? :)

jotook24tovaip

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas Tx. USA
Yeah same with bottom coils to many love em without issue. Having talked this over with friends here in dallas (some on each side of the debate) we have decided its the style of vaping. I have a heavy draw that tends to flood a carto especially in a tank even with thicker juice. I have the same problem with the aspire bdc (a very similar build just looking at it... and using it too...for me). Others say they get a burned taste from bottom coils. Maybe it's the opposite can't say....I do wish I could enjoy either the carto tanks or the bdc coils as I ordered 15 of each at one time! Once when my friend gave me two smok tanks and again when the aspire hit America maybe we can work a trade!:D With everyone happy!

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread