FDA Public Hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andtyler2

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2009
Chicago, IL
Bravo, Elaine! I can only imagine the time and effort that went into your presentation. You crammed an awful lot of food for thought into less than a dozen slides.

You made a compelling case for long term nicotine use (actual replacement versus abstinence) and the need for sufficient nicotine levels to prevent relapse.

I hope it gave some of the FDA representatives in the room pause when you said:

"Which is more important to health: Nicotine abstinence or smoking cessation?"

I also loved your parting remark:

"This should not be about politics or profits. People’s lives depend on a change in attitude, education, and product availability."

Amen to that one.

Thank you, Elaine and Bill, for putting your passionate dedication to work on our behalf.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Scott Ballin, a long-time proponent of tobacco harm reduction, did not speak during the public hearings portion of the FDA workshop, but he did distribute printed copies of his "Comments Concerning Risk and Benefits of Long-term Use of Nicotine Replacement Products." I asked for and received a copy, and have posted it on the CASAA web site. It's definitely worth your time to read.

http://www.casaa.org/files/Ballin-Comments-NRT.pdf

He mentions two other documents that are good resources: Clearing the Smoke, a report from the Institute of Medicine. The full text can be read online here: Clearing the Smoke: The Science Base for Tobacco Harm Reduction - Institute of Medicine

And Smokefree tobacco and Nicotine Products - Reducing the Risks of Tobacco Related Disease-- A constructive and practical “Road Map” towards a civil dialogue to influence public and private sector policy decisions which can be found at http://www.tobaccoatacrossroads.com/2007report/index.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread