FDA is taking testimony. Please join CASAA and testify

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris54

Jan 14, 2015
Palm Springs, CA
The FDA is asking for public comment. Please respond to the CASAA call to action. Here is my testimony.

I am commenting on Electronic Cigarettes and the Public Health; Second Public Workshop; Docket No. FDA-2014-N-1936-0003.
I feel it is important that you hear from an actual e cigarette user who stopped smoking. I believe that if the FDA values smokers quitting smoking tobacco then they should lightly regulate electronic cigarettes and let smokers easlily find this miracle. I say miracle because quitting was never even on my radar. I say I quit smoking by accident. For me, if you regulate against electronic cigarettes then you are regulating in favor of tobacco smoking addiction.

I smoked home rolled tobacco cigarettes for 42 years until October of 2014. At that time, I began using the electronic cigarette Vuse I purchased at a convenience store. I continued to smoke tobacco at close to my usual rate.
In November 2014 I moved to a cigalike I purchased from Halo Ecigarettes called the G6 using a minitank with eliquid. I was smoking 50 cigarettes a day until the G6. My smoking fell to about 25 cigarettes a day.
In December I moved to advanced personal vaporizers. These are a box mod and tube batteries and tanks which hold around 2 ml of eliquid. At the beginning of January of 2015, my tobacco smoking dropped to zero. Without effort. At that time, I was looking for eliquid that tasted most like a real tobacco cigarette. I did not like flavored eliquid.
About a month later, I began buying flavored eliquids like blueberry, strawberry, pineapple, black licorice, peach, irish cream, maple sugar, coconut, cherry, bubblegum and others. I lost my taste for tobacco. Whenever I had the temptation to smoke, there was always another flavor and / or new battery-box mod-tank combination to try so the variety of flavorings and electronic cigarette hardware has kept me away from tobacco smoking so far this year.
I vape steadily throughout the day using 18 mg nicotine liquid. Since I never had a desire to quit nicotine, I do not step down my strength. I am respectful of others and do not vape anywhere smoking is not permitted, although I believe vaping is very different from smoking.
When I can't vape, such as when flying, I chew nicotine gum. I find I have much less discomfort when I can't vape than I did when I could not smoke for a period. Its much easier not to vape now than not to smoke when I was a smoker. I think this is because there were other chemicals my body was addicted to when I was smoking and many of those 4000 chemicals found in cigarette smoke are absent from my vapor.
I have experienced subjective improvements in my health. I do not cough during the night and in the morning as I did before. When I exercise at the gym, I can feel taking full deep breaths which I could not do before. My color has improved. I just feel much better and have more energy. When I first started vaping, I sometimes felt dizzy like I was getting too much oxygen but this has subsided. There is a deeply felt happiness that at 60 years of age I've been able to do something (stop smoking) that I thought was impossible that will enhance the quality of my later years of life. At my last physical performed in the summer of 2014, I did not have any health issues.
Now I must say I feel government entities have done an abysmal job on the issue of giving the public accurate electronic cigarettes information, often being downright misleading. The Democrats in Congress have shown total ignorance on the issue and an unwillingness to learn. I think the Republicans in Congress were wise to ask the FDA for light regulation on the deeming date. The California Department of Public Health is running misleading misinformed fear-based advertising. I can understand wanting to protect teenagers from nicotine but when teenagers see the government demonizing these products they will want to try them even more. And when they try them and find they are relatively innocuous, especially with zero nicotine liquid, they will trust their government even less and laugh at it.
I would rather see the government be educated and honest. And honestly educate the public. Ideally, I would like to see reasonable regulation such as full ingredients listings on e liquid. Regulation should be used to insure public safety and the quality of the product and not as a tool to strangle a new industry so big tobacco and big pharma can dominate the market.
Big tobacco wants to look like the good guys on this issue, putting much more detailed warning labels on a product which I and they know is much less toxic than real cigarettes. If their products where the only ones available, I would still be combusting tobacco. They want the e cigarette market but they don't have the innovation or motivation to make products that would really help smokers quit. And I believe big pharma wants to kill the e cigarette industry because their products are not very effective for smokers such as me and I would buy A LOT of gum trying to quit and still fail.
I believe history will show that electronic cigarettes will be a miracle development for smokers, helping inveterate smokers like me quit when no other approach will ever work. Public health advocates would see the smoking reduction rates they want and I feel history will find these products much safer than combustion smoking.
I will find a way to get my electronic cigarette hardware and liquids, even resorting to the black market if they are severely restricted. Not because of "abuse liability", but because this product keeps me from smoking tobacco and I like how I feel not smoking.
If you have any questions or desire additional information, I would be happy to provide any additional answers and information you desire.
Thank you for your time.

Sincerely
Christopher Marshall

MsPantherina

Apr 26, 2015
This is wonderful news! I enjoyed reading your testimony, Christopher. The state attorney general of California caused us so many problems that we closed our business. It's a difficult business to get into. I hope these testimonies help the governments realize that vaping is the better choice. Sadly, they all seem to be in it for the money. Big tobacco pays big money to stay in the game.

Is there a link where we can submit our testimonies? I can round up some friends and former customers to boost the amount of testimonies they receive.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Is there a link where we can submit our testimonies? I can round up some friends and former customers to boost the amount of testimonies they receive.

Join CASAA. Sign up for their "Call to Action" alerts. They give you all the links of where to submit testimonies.

Last edited:
Reactions: MsPantherina

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
In our continuing effort to engage the FDA and inform them about the benefits of low-risk, smoke-free vapor products as well as the larger public health strategy of Tobacco Harm Reduction (THR), CASAA has released our second Call to Action for FDA Workshops Regarding E-Cigarettes.

Comments on this workshop should be focused on the topic of individual health.

As this topic is more complex than that of the previous workshop -- which involved discussion on the physical characteristics of e-cigarettes -- we have broken this call to action into two parts plus detailed instructions for submitting your comment.

• Part “A” - Fairly quick and simple, but still very useful.

• Part “B” - We have provided more detailed and thought provoking topic items for you to develop a more comprehensive comment.

• Part “C” - Instructions for submitting your comment.

Please take some time this weekend to compose your thoughts and submit a comment to the FDA regarding your experience with e-cigarettes and how they have affected your health.

Please share this post on your Facebook wall and in groups:

Thank You,

Julie Woessner - CASAA Executive Director

Chris54

Jan 14, 2015
Palm Springs, CA
I sent another hardcopy letter to my representatives. I'm riled at what is going on. Just go to Forbes magazine and search "Electronic Cigarette" and you will find several sane articles on the subject. The one I included in my letter was "Their product is Doubt".

I smoked cigarettes for 42 years, then quit smoking this year using electronic cigarettes. I'm quite disappointed that my current representatives in government seem more interested in something other than my health by irrationally attacking electronic cigarettes using public money.
Tens of thousands of former smokers have quit smoking by geting into vaping. That's a fact. I will keep writing letters to my representatives supporting electronic cigarettes until I find out their position on this issue and see some sanity returning to the public government discussion around the subject.
There is a saying, "All politics is local". Look it up on Wikipedia if you don't know what it means. It means I will vote for the politician who protects my needs on this everyday issue, even if I disagree with them on other, even larger issues and no matter how much money they spend campaigning. E cigarettes allow me to stay off smoking so for me, at 60 years of age, this actually could be an issue of life and death and I will vote accordingly.
I have included a print out of a Forbes article on the subject and a chart of teen smoking and vaping to:
1) Attempt to educate
2) Ask why the government would take part in such sleazy deceptive behavior. I'd like an answer.
I do not oppose reasonable and even beneficial (safety) regulation of electronic cigarettes. I would support modest, non sin tax taxation levels. I oppose banning online sales on the basis of needed variety of products. I oppose banning flavors as well because vapers keep off smoking by using a wide variety of everchanging flavors. I wonder if a common service could be established by the industry for entering one's drivers license to verify age for internet sales which is not too burdensome for business.
Please develop a sane and rational position on electronic cigarettes and communicate it to me. If you are opposed, be honest, so I can vote for someone else. But be advised my BS meter is very sensitive on this issue and I don't buy the negative line many in government are attempting to peddle to the public. My personal experience tells me otherwise. Thank you for your time.

Reactions: ykalon

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
We all might want to mention just how happy our extended families are about us vaping as well as our neighbors, friends, work associates, church group and any people you know through other activities. You've been educating them about the "politics" of vaping and are amazed about the deception going on. What else are we being deceived on?......They all will have the opportunity to vote too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread