Fantastic initial success in illinois - more action needed next week.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Congratulations to all the vapers who attended the Illinois House Committee meeting on electronic cigarette prohibition.

The meeting was adjourned until next week as the members felt they did not have sufficient information to make a decision. It's fair to say that the motion would have passed, were it not for those who attended to correct the factually eroneous information that was presented to the committee by the American Lung Association (of all people!).

There's a good write up in this article, and I shall copy into this thread the members' posts on the events currently elsewhere on ECF.

However, this is not over. The committee will re-convene next week, and it's vital that as many vapers attend as possible.

Additionally, please will all Illinois vapers contact their representatives (list here) with their comment on e-cigarettes.

EDIT:
UPDATE: It is scheduled for a hearing on April 21st 9:00 a.m. Stratton Building, Room D-1.

The Chair of the Human Services Committee, Naomi Jakobsson, has removed herself as a co-sponsor of the bill.

We'll follow up with Rep. Colvin's office regarding his intentions and will post any information we receive. In the meanwhile, Illinois vapers plan on showing up for the hearing.

Last edited:

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Comments by ECF members, let me know if I missed any.

Original threads:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...77736-illinois-bill-prohibit-sale-pvs-14.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ois-about-ban-sale-electronic-cigarettes.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...3-illinois-ban-committee-now-please-read.html

The Illinois vapers contingent did an awesome job! The committee refused to vote on the bill until they get more information. And they made the news! Vote on electronic cigarettes ban postponed in Ill. House committee | Political Fix | STLtoday

Hopefuly, JustJulie will come by and fill us in on some of the details - they have some great stories! They called me after the meeting and sounded pumped, excited and hopeful! :thumbs:

The job is not done yet - there is another meeting next week. And then we have to take our fight to New York!!

I can give you my first-hand account of things - it went VERY well....

I count this as a HUGE step in the right direction. You should have seen the looks on the faces of the assembled committee members...... I think each and every one of them there finally GOT it in the end.

It was incredible to watch the perceptions shift in the committee. The members went from "this is a no-brainer," to "I didn't realize that," to "Why weren't we told this???" Even the bill's author is having doubts about what he's written, IMO.

The Health Committee chairperson asked point blank if the legislature could be revised to ONLY prohibit the sale of PV's to minors. The bill's author deferred to the lobbyist for the ALA. SHE said point blank "this is the way WE wrote the bill."

Since when do lobbyists write laws?

We've got a week. The committee, I feel, will shoot it down if it remains as written. One way to bolster our odds of this happening is: I suggest that each and every IL vaper who can beg, borrow, or steal the time off get down there and pack that hearing room. Sign up as being an opponent of the bill - they read the lists of citizen witnesses before the bill is discussed. There will be no further opportunities for citizens to speak in committee, unfortunately, but to hear the lists of people sitting in that room, actively opposing this bill, will KILL it in committee, in my opinion.

This is your call to action, IL vapers - GET TO SPRINGFIELD NEXT WEEK.

I was there. I came away with very good vibes! More support than I expected in the audience AND on the committee. I think they were a little surprised by the amount of response.

As Kristin says though, the job is not done....simply set aside for more info/input.

ps. I got the feeling that the chair realized the votes weren't there and started wondering about possible amendments to attempt to get the votes. It didn't sound like the American Lung Assoc or other proponents were too keen on that.....
Just my gut feeling is all .....I am NOT a legal eagle type and really am out of my element when it comes to political process so take this with a grain of salt. I'm sure those more familiar with the process can elucidate and speculate far better than I!

Yes.....the most important reason of all....to be there and have your names noted in the record that you oppose this bill - in person. Each and every warm body that is IN that room, and who fills out a little form, will have their name read into the record as being there in opposition or support of this - that's what the little form is for.

There will be no opportunity for private citizens to speak at this next meeting, but your presence is still needed, for the reason stated above.

I'm certain that the ALA will have plenty of people brought along next week, with impressive titles, to offer their 'silent support' in approval of the bill - but we shot them out of the water today with our passion and our information.

This was a victory, but it's NOT over. Next week, the Health committee will vote to pass this to the house, or let it die in committee. So keep up with the phones, the faxes, and the emails. The more noise we make, and the more bodies who show up in Springfield next week, the better our chances of seeing this bill either re-written to block access to minors ONLY, or to see it die in entirety in committee.

Edit: and, before I go comatose from lack of sleep and too much windshield time - Gamuchi sent a lawyer along today to complicate matters. They are currently pursuing FDA approval for their brand of PV to be classed an NRT. THAT guy was a waste of carbon compounds........I wanted to wrap a thick layer of duct tape over his mouth. SHEESH!

Let's hope careful notes were made of which arguments seemed most persuasive. I, too, count this a victory, an important one, but not End Game in Illinois.

The next hearing might well be packed with representatives from our powerful foes: AHA, ALA, ACS, even ASH. A setback like this will not sit well with them. As the woman said, "This is the way WE wrote the bill." Yes, lobbyists write bills, probably most of them. Do you really think these legislators have the time, brains or energy to write such bills? Not a chance. They submit the work of others.

Stay on this, Illinois people, and set an example for the rest of us to follow as more states propose bans.

Last edited:

DinoSyndicate

Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2010
New York
www.syndicateradio.tv
Congratulations to all the vapers who attended the Illinois House Committee meeting on electronic cigarette prohibition.

The meeting was adjourned until next week as the members felt they did not have sufficient information to make a decision. It's fair to say that the motion would have passed, were it not for those who attended to correct the factually eroneous information that was presented to the committee by the American Lung Association (of all people!).

There's a good write up in this article, and I shall copy into this thread the members' posts on the events currently elsewhere on ECF.

However, this is not over. The committee will re-convene next week, and it's vital that as many vapers attend as possible.

Additionally, please will all Illinois vapers contact their representatives (list here) with their comment on e-cigarettes.

clap.gif

Joejokin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
US, Midwest
www.quicknicjuice.com
I was there and got a chance to speak and the feeling was awesome. I will be attending again next week and hope to get as many people to go as I can. We need to keep our faces numerous and fresh in their minds guys. I wrote letters to all 7 members and sent them to each of their offices and also drafted letters for friends and mailed them too. Yes there is no exact date for this hearing as of yet, but we know that there will be one next week. So alert your employers and fill up your gas tanks or better yet, carpool. I did. The long drive was worth it!! We are getting somewhere with this and we need to keep trucking!

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
UPDATE: It is scheduled for a hearing on April 21st 9:00 a.m. Stratton Building, Room D-1.

The Chair of the Human Services Committee, Naomi Jakobsson, has removed herself as a co-sponsor of the bill. :thumbs:

We'll follow up with Rep. Colvin's office regarding his intentions and will post any information we receive. In the meanwhile, Illinois vapers plan on showing up for the hearing.

That is nothing short of AWESOME!!! Congratulations everyone! If this ban does end up getting killed, it's not only good news for Illinois, it's good news for all of us. It will be precedent-setting.

I am thrilled that you people were able to accomplish this. Furthermore, I am thrilled that those Illinois lawmakers decided to actually use their brains and educate themselves.

curiousJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
Central IL
Anyone here know about any studies that show carcinogens and/or other chemicals in ecigs? I've not heard that before.

If I remember correctly, they are referring to the tobacco specific nitrosamines (TSNs) that are present in cigarettes ... also in patches, gum, and inhalers. The levels found in e-cigs are at the same minimal levels that are found in the NRTs.

Jan

Last edited:

Hudsonkm

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2010
Illinois, US
Yes, trace amounts of certain tobacco-related nitrosamines known to be carcinogenic were detected at levels comparable to those in FDA approved NRT products.

It is important to note that no carcinogens (or DEG, for that matter) were detected in the actual vapor.

So you mean that while they were in what we would intake into our systems, there is no danger in the second hand vapor to others?

Also, as somebody mentioned above; I would have to say that this is the most promising news of all.

3/23/2010 House Added Alternate Co-Sponsor Rep. Naomi D. Jakobsson
4/15/2010 House Alternate Co-Sponsor Removed Rep. Naomi D. Jakobsson

Last edited:

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
If I remember correctly, they are referring to the tobacco specific nitrosamines (TSNs) that are present in cigarettes ... also in patches, gum, and inhalers. The levels found in e-cigs are at the same minimal levels that are found in the NRTs.

Jan

Yup.

To put this in perspective, which we did at the hearing, here are the relative amounts of TSNAs:

Nicotine Patch: 8
Nicotine Gum: 2
E-cigs: 8
Marlboro cig: 11,190

Duh-uh.

Frankly, if the health professionals and FDA find the level of TSNAs in e-cig dangerous, then they need to immediately pull the nicotine patch off the market. :rolleyes:

Joejokin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
US, Midwest
www.quicknicjuice.com

The Chair of the Human Services Committee, Naomi Jakobsson, has removed herself as a co-sponsor of the bill. :thumbs:

That is great news about Naomi Jakobsson!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread