Explain Protected Lithium Batteries to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd Mulske

Moved On
Nov 8, 2011
I was going to post this in the new members forum, but I have made too many posts and am not allowed to do so anymore, so I figured who better to ask than the veterans. Can you explain what exactly a lithium ion protected battery is, I have never used them before using an ecig.

If a protected lithium ion battery is somehow shorted out from positive to ground; a dead short can it explode or is there protection in the battery that prevents this; this is my main question; but I would like as much information on them as possible.

Also what is the difference between a high drain and a protected battery other than a high drain can discharge higher amounts of current at a faster rate.

Thanks

Todd

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Protected Lithium batteries have a tiny circuit board on one end to prevent drawing too much current and exploding as you could with a short. Don't put all your trust in the protection circuit, as the circuits themselves can fail. Never leave batteries charging unattended, and /or on a flammable surface (carpet, wood).

Always, always, always use protected batteries in ANY mod.

That said lithium battery have been used widely and with relative few incidents. A digital multi-meter is a great investment as you can check the voltages of your charger, your just charged batteries(4.2v), and your depleted batteries. Over charging or over discharging along with shorts can cause problems.

The high-drain batteries (AW are often referenced and considered the best) have a different chemistry inside which allows them to be used without an additional circuit. The change in chemicals lessens the possibility of the battery venting with flames and outgassing.

For a full discussion, in depth you can browse through Battery U, spot on info, explained in depth.
Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University

Happy Vaper, also has a good write up that covers the FAQs
Happy Vaper - Canadian Quality Electronic Cigarette ECig E CIG E-CIG/Personal Vaporizers and DIY Smoke Liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread