Elendil's LOTR Trivia Challenge!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Safia

Apr 27, 2010
This thread was a blast to read. I have read the books, watched the movies (more times that I care to mention) and I play the on-line game but I would never have attempted to answer any of these questions. :confused:

I agree with Micki - I should have taken notes. :oops:

This was a very cool idea - to heck with the prizes it was just fun to watch (read) :pervy:

Thank you for the laughter.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Eh, no. If I'm not mistaken, Gil-Galad had one of the elven rings before he was killed.

Unless you are just counting during the War of the Ring.

A more time consuming one to figure out would be to track the dwarf rings.

Depending on source Gil-Galad had one or 2 rings at one time but by the end of the second age had passed them on ...

According to Unfinished Tales, at the start of the War of the Elves and Sauron, Celebrimbor gave Narya together with the Ring Vilya to Gil-galad. Gil-galad entrusted Narya to his lieutenant Círdan, Lord of the Havens of Mithlond, who kept it after Gil-galad's death. According to The Lord of the Rings, Gil-galad received only Vilya, while Círdan received Narya from the very beginning along with Galadriel receiving Nenya from the start.
In the Third Age, Círdan, recognizing Gandalf's true nature as one of the Maiar from Valinor, gave him the ring to aid him in his labours.

When Sauron laid waste to Eregion, Vilya was sent to the Elven-King Gil-galad far away in Lindon, where it was later given to Elrond, who bore it through the later years of the Second Age and all of the Third.

SO.. by the time of the start of the War of the Ring in the Third Age.. they were held by Galdalf, Galadriel, and Elrond

Last edited:

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Eh, no. If I'm not mistaken, Gil-Galad had one of the elven rings before he was killed.

Unless you are just counting during the War of the Ring.

A more time consuming one to figure out would be to track the dwarf rings.

yeah the 7 dwarf rings are a problem...not much was really said about 6 of the 7...only that one was given to each of the dwarf clans and were used to build the treasure hoards of the clans...
of course treasure hoards attract dragons....so 4 of the rings were consumed by dragons...2 were known to be recaptured by Sauron.. that leaves the one that was given to Thrór, and therefore thought to be lost in Moria. However, as revealed by Gandalf at the Council of Elrond, Thrór had given his ring, the last of the Seven, to his son Thráin II prior to Thrór's departure for Moria. Thráin II was subsequently captured, imprisoned, and tormented by Sauron at Dol Guldur nearly one hundred years before the beginning of The Hobbit in T.A. 2845. So Sauron had the last 3.
In the year before Frodo and Sam left the Shire with the One Ring, Sauron, through an unnamed emissary, promised to return the remaining three of the Seven to the Dwarves if they would recover "a little ring, the least of rings" from the "thief who stole it". The emissary's words suggest Sauron hoped to convince the Dwarves that Bilbo's ring was one of the lesser rings forged by the Eregion smiths and not a Great Ring of Power. This offer was made repeatedly over the course of the year, and each time the Dwarves declined to answer. Distrustful of Sauron, who in fact correctly believed this ring to be the One, and not wanting to endanger Bilbo, the Dwarves instead sought out advice from Elrond. This is what brought Glóin and Gimli to Rivendell for the Council of Elrond in The Fellowship of the Ring.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread