eGo threading and 510/808 compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajventi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
New Jersey
I don't quite know where this topic belongs, as a fairly new vaper that began with 808 minis it took me a while to understand that eGo was not only a specific group of PV's, but a general term for anything carrying the eGo cone threading. My first battery I bought after my minis was a Volt X2, which has the eGo cone threads with an 808 connector, and I more recently bought an iGo revolver, also an 808 with eGo threading.

Now being that I've only been buying 808 compatible stuff at this point, I've had to do a fair amount of reading whenever I order anything. Some vendors don't tell you anything (and I guess it's just understood their stuff is 510 threads), then I come across stuff that is listed as eGo threaded.

So last night I realized that it's possible something carrying an eGo thread could potentially be compatible with both 510 and 808 threading if the center contact was simply the positive connection with the eGo thread making the negative connection. If that is the case then it opens up quite a bit of head that I can put onto an eGo/808 PV.

So is there anyone out there who has both 510 and 808 eGo style batteries, and have you come across anything that can work on both connectors. If not can anyone provide some good photos of eGo threaded heads that could show the center post (possibly with a depth measurement to the center post contact)?

Last edited:

fenchurch

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2012
Central Iowa
I also started with an 808 stick batt, then moved up to a 510 ego.

For me, all that was needed was a 510/808 shorty adapter which allowed my 808 cartos to fit onto my 510 ego batt. Worked well with no issues (still does). Many vendors carry this adapter, I got mine from madvapes, a buck or two.

I cannot speak to the negative/positive flip-flop there may be between 808 and 510 type connections.

*In theory*, since we are just dealing with simple resistance across load, the ohms are the same in either direction of current flow (ie the 808 cartos should work OK even with the current moving in the opposite direction on a 510 batt). I will def defer to one that has greater exposure to the voltage direction question. It's been 3 years for me, and I've not had any issues.

hope this helps.

Edit: here is the adapter I was referring to from MadVapes

Last edited:

ajventi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
New Jersey
I may not be perfectly clear on what I'm asking. Titanium, I think I've seen CE4's described as 'eGo thread', but I guess that's not so relevent as CE4's are available in 808. I have some in flat 808 (Echo) and eGo/808 which connects with the 808 thread but is flanged to cover the eGo threads.

fenchurch, it's not the polarity I'm concerned about, it makes no difference to the head which way current is flowing, I should have said center (tip) and outer (ring) contact rather than positive and negative respectively. I understand I can use an 808->510 adapter, but if used on anything other than a carto it would look kind of ugly.

Let me give an example: Kanger T3 eGo

The description (and photo) shows the head is threading onto the eGo threads, which I assume is also one of the electrical connections. I can't tell by the photo, but if the center contact is simply resting on the center of a 510 ego connector, than it's quite possible it would also work on an 808 eGo. I guess what it would depend on is the measurement from the ego thread to the center contact. On both of my 808/eGo batteries it's 18-mm from the bottom of the eGo thread to the top of the 808 thread, and the center post is roughly 1-mm below the top of the 808 connector.

fenchurch

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2012
Central Iowa
That's a very good question (and I did misunderstand what you meant initially, sorry 'bout that).

The Kanger T2/T3 are one of the few pieces that I commonly run into that use the "outer" threads on an ego-style device.

The outer thread is one of the electrical connections, the center post contacts the button at the bottom of the 510 connection "well". I don't have one of these handy, couldn't say if there is much give on that center post if you needed it to move.

It is conceivable that given an ego-style with an 808 vs the standard 510, it *might* work, the clearances will be tight.

Congrats btw, you've taken 808 connection much further than I did. I considered a 901 Riva back in the day, but settled on 510 connections with an eGo and got the adapter to allow 510 cartos to fit onto my stick batts, continued onward from there. This was before there was any variety in the "fat batt 808" genre tho...

I do wish you luck! :)

ajventi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
New Jersey
Thanks fenchurch, I'll probably check out a T3. I was hoping maybe it was a more common thing to have heads attaching with the ego threads, but in the past few days I've been studying photos and don't think I've come across anything but the T3 that threads that way. Of course many photos don't give the correct angle.

If it turns out they are compatible it would beg the question why aren't manufacturers designing that way.

Congrats btw, you've taken 808 connection much further than I did. I considered a 901 Riva back in the day, but settled on 510 connections with an eGo and got the adapter to allow 510 cartos to fit onto my stick batts, continued onward from there. This was before there was any variety in the "fat batt 808" genre tho...

I do wish you luck! :)

My original mini was an 808, I like the security of knowing the gas station down the street cells 808 cartos if I ever find myself in an emergency. Of course I'm probably stocked well enough at this point that I'm not going to run out of juice, or have both of my eGo/808 batteries die in the same day that I'll find myself in an "emergency situation".

I figure I can't stay out of 510 world forever, and I'll probably pick up a spinner in the next few weeks, still it would be nice to have some heads that could easily fit on both connections sans adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread