ECO - Initial Web Site Mockups and Charter Motion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
First Draft - eventually, I'd like to move into something flashier like our work on Official Website of the Senior Bowl or more of a data/media repository like Sacred Heart Health System - Welcome to the Best Hospital in Northwest Florida! , but for now a very simple site should help get achieve a basic web presence while we are finishing our charter. Soon we can add the .NET components that will support the document libraries, streaming media and RSS feeds you see on some of our other sites.

Criticism doesn't break my heart, so throw rocks at the design/color scheme or let me know what we may have missed:

eco.jpg

eco2.jpg

Finally, Since the voting of a name is always one of the most fun (and debated) parts of writing an organization's charter, I'd like to propose we move forward in meeting the other criteria to keep the ball rolling. We can always plug in whatever name the consensus decides further down the process. This group was started here in the ECF so let's move on to developing the charter.

A typical Organization charter is built in eight steps:

Step 1

Create a name for the organization and use it as the first section of the charter. Ideally, the name will represent the purpose of the organization.

Step 2

The second section of the charter should be the statement of purpose. It is critical to understand and keep in mind the strategic importance of the organization. Write out the major objectives of the organization in a succinct paragraph.

Step 3

In the third section, write down the key criteria for success of the organization. What specifically will need to happen in order for the organization to be considered a success?

Step 4

In section four, write out the organizational structure. Who are the key members of the organization, and what are their roles and responsibilities? These roles will vary from organization to organization, but some examples include the organization's board of directors, finance manager, IT director, head writer, marketing director, etc.

Step 5

The fifth section should outline the applicable background information, including an explanation of the factors leading to the creation of the organization. What other organizations, people, environmental influences, market trends, consumer needs, etc., are and will be influential in the creation and duration of the organization?

Step 6

In the sixth section, detail the scope of the organization's activities. What will the organization do, make, sell, sing, etc.? Also, it is important to specify what is out of scope for the organization. This will help keep the organization appropriately focused in the years ahead.

Step 7

In section seven, write out the processes by which the organization will conduct business. For example, how will the organization implement decisions, changes and partnerships? How will the organization communicate, internally and externally, and what templates, guidelines and quality-control methods will be used? This section will need to be very clear, and should be carefully reviewed and approved by all key stakeholders to ensure the appropriate information is included and accurate.

Step 8

The final section should discuss finances. How much money will be required to begin work as an organization, and how is it being funded? What income will be required, and how will revenues be invested and/or distributed?

There is a lot to discuss and I'm sure the moderators don't want these threads to monopolize the Campaigns category. I would like to suggest we merge the 8 steps (7 remaining) listed above into two new threads:
1. ADMINISTRATION: Defining the written mission statement, key objectives and what we'd like to accomplish.
2. ORGANIZATION: Interim Officers (subject area experts, this is the time to come forward), Org Chart and Finances. No one has been elected anything here, we just need to define the roles and duties. Do we need a board or President? Single directors or team leaders? Creation of a bank account and online donation.

What say ye?

Last edited:

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
Damn Webby You got skillz

Thanks!

:cool: Actually I have some pretty talented folks on staff who build what I tell them to... :rolleyes:

I don't see a need yet to write the database pieces that houses all our stuff, until we have stuff to house. We build too many sites with all the cool tools that collect dust or just look silly. Like e-commerce carts with "Coming Soon" under most of the headers.

We'll be ready to roll out the big guns as we gain momentum!

HaploVoss

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Rogersville, MO - USA
Fantastic Job especially if you take in BijJimW's suggestion. Normally I would give a thumbs up to an earth tone color scheme like that. However, it resembles the colors of dried tobacco plants. I would go for a cool color scheme to invoke the "moderness" of vaping.

Good call - I was about to say Kudos, but you are absolutely right. Although it is really overused - a typical modern 'i-Pod blue' format might not be a bad idea to give the impression of an agency / organization type site. :oops:

Last edited:

lashmn

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2009
SW FL (Naples)
Well I can see where you got the name Webby! Very apt.

An excellent design, BTW. I agree that we my want to move away from the earth tone that brings thoughts of tobacco.

My only negative comment is the fact that the asking for money is SO obvious. There is a donate and a contribute area right on the front page. I know that it is very important to raise funds but perhaps it could be more subtle.

Just my humble opinions but overall. I likey!

Lynn

Last edited:

nojoyet

ECF Veteran
May 5, 2009
Canada, near Vancouver
Fantastic! Well done and very quickly, I'm wowed.

Some thoughts about colour etc.

Example one - Personaly I find the yellow background on my right harsh. While the gal breaking a cigarette is a good image, it could perhaps be interpreted as a more negative message than we intend to send. Anti-smoke instead of pro-alternative.

Example two - Like this colour combo better, it is easier on the eyes and feels more welcoming. What is that guy covering with his hand? My first reaction was a pipe and I'm not tuning in for the first time. Perhaps an adjustment is needed to show something clearly and more obviously electronic. It could be a black RN4081 if we don't want to look exactly like a combustible cig.

Some people have suggested more blue, that would be good too, very relaxing. I think no (poison) purple as in the Health System/Hospital example.

In general we need to be welcoming and any illustrations/images need to send a clear message which will be easily understood by first time viewers.

:)

Last edited:

TheUltimateG

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
Colorado
I agree with the others whom have posted regarding the donate button. Donations will always be requested via email campaigns, ect... so maybe a a "Support ECO" page with its own tab would be more appropriate and less obtrusive. That page could also include other items like legislative campaigns to participate in, ect...

As far as colors go, I also agree the earth tones bring to mind tobacco at first glance. I am a fan of blue but would be fine with anything that didn't remind me of tobacco.

Kudos to your crew, they do great work

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
Most photographers will tell you that a full front pose will results in the worst picture.
There, of course, is exceptions and they are the young, thin, and beautiful models.
No offense meant there BigJim. You also might want to lose the pucker.
I like the colors.
And I'm already editing this message.:)
A group picture might be better here with people from all catogories so all the antis can start off by seeing us as human beings and not just a organization fighting to polute the air with smoke.
Maybe in a lower corner there could be someone holding their PV. In the other corner, someone holding a cup of steaming coffee.

Last edited:

RobertY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Wow, there have been some great points brought up here. Over all they are:

1) Browns may be associated with tobacco and peeps are asking for mainly blue scheme. I may suggest greens. A choice. The brown does look good though.

2) Any pictures need to depict clearly what they are. A PV. Also need to stay away from the anti smoking message. Girl is easy on the eyes but the breaking of the ciggy I think also does send the wrong message.

3) I think the G has a good idea with what to do with the donate button. Put it on its own page with other items. Today it just seems that everyone is money grubbing and is constantly trying to reach into my pockets. Make it be there, but not out smacking one in the face like some annoying sites.

Over all I think it is a good step. Looks like a clean design. Just make sure it stays user friendly and easy to navigate.

So who is going to be working on the charter?

jwhite

Jul 30, 2009
Greenfield, IN
There is a lot to discuss and I'm sure the moderators don't want these threads to monopolize the Campaigns category. I would like to suggest we merge the 8 steps (7 remaining) listed above into two new threads:
1. ADMINISTRATION: Defining the written mission statement, key objectives and what we'd like to accomplish.
2. ORGANIZATION: Interim Officers (subject area experts, this is the time to come forward), Org Chart and Finances. No one has been elected anything here, we just need to define the roles and duties. Do we need a board or President? Single directors or team leaders? Creation of a bank account and online donation.

What say ye?

I second that motion.

gr8dane

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama
Lovely job Webby! Your guys ARE good.

I'll third the motion. Where and when are these threads going to be setup? I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but I think you need to establish planning groups (like proposal teams) for these two areas. Once the teams have drafts put together, they can be put out for comment, and the organization can be put in place. Just a suggestion.

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
Wow, there have been some great points brought up here. Over all they are:

1) Browns may be associated with tobacco and peeps are asking for mainly blue scheme. I may suggest greens. A choice. The brown does look good though.

2) Any pictures need to depict clearly what they are. A PV. Also need to stay away from the anti smoking message. Girl is easy on the eyes but the breaking of the ciggy I think also does send the wrong message.

3) I think the G has a good idea with what to do with the donate button. Put it on its own page with other items. Today it just seems that everyone is money grubbing and is constantly trying to reach into my pockets. Make it be there, but not out smacking one in the face like some annoying sites.

Over all I think it is a good step. Looks like a clean design. Just make sure it stays user friendly and easy to navigate.

Everyone,

Great comments and ideas! (nice summerization too, Robert) I'll incorporate these ideas with the current look and have a revised mockup done in a couple of days.

So who is going to be working on the charter?

Unless someone wants to step forward to write the copy, I'll write a base (working) title version of the mission statement and toss it out this weekend under a new thread. We can all use that thread to flesh out the rest of the charter document while the threads for the group name and web site continue. IMHO, both the poll thread (and this one) should reamain open for comments. That way, we keep moving forward without closing the door on anyone coming in late to the discussion.

Sound good? In any case, I'm sure we all agree that the landing page needs to be a full head shot of BigJimW with the headline, "Please put your 3-D glasses on...now."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread