ECF Tutorial - Video Playback

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
the Universe
The new version of Xenforo has a very cool option for playing videos.

When you come across a post with an embedded video you can now detach the video from the post and watch it while you continue browsing that page.

How do I use this feature?

I will use a video @Pigs posted last month (thanks Mate! :greengrin: ). His post is here. I've also included a screenshot of his post.

Screen shot 2022-12-18 at 1.51.45 PM.png

I've embedded the video from his post so you can follow along.

At this point you can play the video within my post (same as the previous version of Xenforo).

The new Xenforo software has a very cool feature where you can detach the video from a post and have it play in the lower right-hand corner of your web browser (computer) or at the bottom of your smartphone browser.

At the lower right of an embedded video you will see a lightly greyed out icon.
Screen shot 2022-12-18 at 2.33.02 PM.png

Hover over the icon and it turns black.
Screen shot 2022-12-18 at 2.33.20 PM.png

Click on the icon and the video detaches itself from a user's post and repositions itself to the lower right-hand corner of your web browser or to the bottom of your smartphone display. Like so...
Screen shot 2022-12-18 at 2.44.29 PM.png

It works much like PiP (picture-in-picture) on a TV. This is Xenforo's version of PiP.

You can control a detached video as you normally would in any post (pause, play, stop).

Another cool thing about this feature is you can continue reading the current ECF page while the video remains visible, and playing, as you scroll up and down a page.

Clicking the 'X' at the upper left-hand corner closes a detached video window. Closing the video window returns it to the post where it was located.
Screen shot 2022-12-18 at 2.42.26 PM.png

If you start playing a video and then detach it the video will continue playing. When you close a video window, and if it's playing, it will continue playing in the post it came from. There are no momentary glitches when you detach, or close, a video that's playing. Playback is seamless.

When you navigate to another ECF page the video stops playing and the window closes automatically.

The end!!! :greengrin:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread