E-pipe Mod designed for 3D Printing with sealed stem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadcoke5

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2010
Lancaster, PA
Attached is an image of an E-pipe I have in mind to create using a 3D Printing service. The real-pipe image below is what I used for the inspiration.

One of the things that I am trying to address wit this design is the ability to hide the atomizer inside, and also to fasten the stem on securely enough, that it can be held in your mouth, without fear of the rest of the pipe dropping away. The atomizer in the image is a vivi-nova from madvapes, though many different ones could be used instead. Note that the stem does not seal to the mouthpiece of the vivi-nova. Rather, the seal is below. Then, the stem must fasten with an air-tight seal, so it can draw through the atomizer.

For that purpose, I imagine I need to supplement the plastic body with a metal sleeve at both the stem and the bowl stub. This will also an air-tight seal, and also allow me to make the plastic fairly thin at that point, so it won't add a lot of bulk.

E-pipe with Sealed Stem.jpg

But, I can't create the metal sleeve myself, and will need to find something of a suitable size. Though, I don't know where to start. I have seen ball-point pens that had something like this, but they would be far too small in diameter.

Any ideas, or comments about this design?

-Joe

SilentJay

Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denver, CO, USA
Looks like a pretty nice design! I've heard people talking about 3D printing a pipe, but I haven't seen one actually done yet. If you get this done there will be a LOT of interest.

The tank-in-the-stem idea has been done before. Jeff at Springfield Custom Pipes makes them that way, though usually with a straight horizonal stem. There's a good pic of one here:
Friday Night Pipes | The ePipe Forum - The Home of the ePipe Community
Lower down there are pics of the tanks and the surround stem.

You can get lots of feedback on any DIY pipe idea on that forum. There's multiple pipe builders and DIYers discussing all kinds of ideas. Come on over. Tell'em SilentJay sent you.

cadcoke5

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2010
Lancaster, PA
Thanks for the link to the discussion on the E-pipe forum. I see that the design is very similar to what I was thinking. Though, I was hoping to create something that would take a full-size vivi-nova. His design seems to have a bayonet attachment method, which is certainly a secure method. Tough, it is beyond my abilities to make out of metal on my own.

I had recently started a thread about 3D printed pipes, and cited a few examples that I found.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/549915-3d-models-pipes.html#post12785176

-Joe

cadcoke5

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2010
Lancaster, PA
Regarding a bayonet mount, I vaguely recall seeing some AV connectors many years ago that had a twist-lock connection. Perhaps I can find something like that, but sized large enough to go around a Vivi-Nova.

I also came across an older drawing I made a while back. In that one, the stem was hinged. That may be something I can make. The hinge itself can be purchased. Here is a screen grab of a quick drawing of that idea. I see now that the existing mouth piece in the Vivi-Nova would have to be removed to clear the stem as it swung open. I would also need to find a suitable clasp.

-Joe
E-pipe with Hinged Stem.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread