808-style E-pipe of sorts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DezRo

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2012
Seattle
Here's the pipe - $20 from a local smoke shop.

pipe_01_zps1dfc9d0e.jpg

pipe_02_zps8dbd0370.jpg

It's nothing special, but it IS real wood, and it had a fat enough shaft area for what I needed.
I removed the stem and used a power drill to bore the air hole to 3/8", big enough for a 808 batt to slide in there.
Here are the parts I'm using:
short 808 batt
cartmozier
KGO cone + flat drip tip
Foam sleeve thingy I took off my old blow gun :blush:.... this will likely be replaced by something more aesthetic once new supplies become available to me. Perhaps I'll just make a resin casting of what I need, but first I'm going to keep my eyes open and hopefully I'll find a good piece of something I can use.

pipe_shorty_assembly_zps7a7daf3e.jpg

Batt+carto slide into the shaft area.
Bowl has been lined with foil to reflect and amplify the glow from the tip of the 808 batt. (It works really well in dark spaces). :)
I may do away with that feature though, we'll see.

pipe_shorty_assembly_2_zpsde754855.jpg

Next I take the cone+drip tip and slide that over the cartomizer.

pipe_shorty_assembly_3_zpse7472479.jpg

Then the foam sleeve. Fits really snug. Air tight.

pipe_shorty_assembly_4_zps61e33312.jpg

pipe_shorty_assembly_5_zps31050f1e.jpg

With this design I can achieve 3 important pipe-ish things:

1. No buttons. All automatic/draw activated!
2. The bowl glows orange when you hit it!
3. Vapor actually streams up out of the bowl!

The trick for #3 is all in air flow. With this tek using the cone+ego style drip tip you effectively seal the 808 batt from being able to vent towards the mouth end, so it vents out towards the tip end instead, which then rises out of the bowl piece! Pretty cool huh? If this is a major safety risk though please let me know... it seems okay to me but I'm not the most tech savvy guy in the world.

Here it is again with a longer batt this time.
No ego drip tip with this one.. instead using a drip tip on the actual 808 cart.

pipe_long_batt_1_zps4abc54ca.jpg

Although orange is really where it's at for authenticity, I like to use blue LED sometimes too!

pipe_long_batt_bluelight_zps6941b891.jpg

I would like to get into mod building at some point, specifically e-pipes.
But for now I figured this would be a clever, cheap way to utilize some old 808 gear I had laying around and give it a more classier touch. ;)
My next one will surely be an Echo-C battery 650/1100 or something like that.
Automatic is where it's at for pipes, but the 280mah and 380mah batts are ultimately not going to cut it in the long run.
Is anyone else into e-piping?

duckie_44

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2011
DFW-TX
DezRo........"Is anyone else into e-piping?"........A few of us.....If I hadn"t been out here in suburb's looking for something else, I would have missed seeing your e-pipe mod......."I would like to get into mod building at some point,specifocally e-pipes"......Dude....Your at that point right now.

Very nicely done.....very nice indeed.....Next time come over to the modding fourm,so more of us can see your work.

One thought inclosing, how about a amber tail light lens....cut to size.... at the top of the bowl...maybe paint the bottom,lighty with some black paint....drill a few holes...or slot's...for the vaper.....DezRo....I really like what you have done here....

DezRo

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2012
Seattle
Thanks.
Just to update... the constricted vents are not going to work for the long haul.
Take a couple puffs just to show it off? Fine.
Sit down and actually have a real sesh with the thing or try to chain vape it? No way, Jose.
The sealed chamber is forcing vented vapor to evacuate up towards the bowl opening, however some of it can get trapped and sort of linger inside the chamber for a while. And although the battery isn't quite reaching critical mass for respiratory failure or over-heating... it still doesn't feel like a smart design to try to lean on, so I'm scrapping it for something else... maybe perhaps just some additional air vents like you'd mentioned.
It's a doozy because I love having excess vapor come streaming out the bowl (never been done far as I can tell), but it obviously needs a more sophisticated and intricate internal configuration to make this design dependable over the long haul.

And the foil is gone. I'm going to replace the foil AND that strip of gorilla tape holding it in.
I'm going to use reflective/silver duct tape instead. The stuff used for sealing joints in ducts as well as PVC+foam sleeve swords the nerds like to play-fight in the park with.
Or maybe some white paint would serve as a good enough reflector for the battery diode.

And finally... I'm tempted to scrap this altogether and just start working on a new one, this time with a 650 mah auto batt in mind.

:vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread