E-Cig Store...Need HONEST Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

kencan98

Oct 4, 2010
New York
Hey Guys...

I've been in business for myself since High School and have always done very well. I've owned (and sold for a profit) gas stations, card stores, and a deli. I also currently own an online company that brings in a mid 6 figure income.

Also...vaping SAVED MY LIFE 3 years ago. I really have a passion for it and believe in it that it works and can really help save lives!

In my area we have nothing but overpriced ripoff artists that sell CRAP (the mall kiosk thing).

So I figured I'd put 2 and 2 together and take a run at it. I got a spot at a flea market secured and I'm moving in on Nov. 23rd.

To start, I'll be selling 2 kits.

1. Ego Twist with CE5 carto. 2 batteries, 2 CE5's, charger, case, box, 20ML juice. The price will be $90. No shipping no tax.

2. The same kit but one of everything in box with case and juice. Price will be $70.

My juice will be $15 per 20ML.

I'm looking at vendors (online) and comparing and I can't compete on price alone but if you include shipping and tax I'm right with them.

When I compare to the mall kiosks in the area, it's not even close. They're selling 510 kits (1 piece of everything) for $129 without juice.

My question is that I'm worried about price. I know it will sell and sell very well. I just don't want to be another "mall kiosk guy".

The theme/mission/idea behind the business is "Created by REAL vapers to help you quit smoking NOW". I want the message to be that I'm not just some kid who picked up an "e-cigarette" and puffs in a mall to make a few bucks.

I'm not promoting anything here. I won't even mention the name of the business or where we'll be.

I'm just looking for honest advice from experienced vapors.

Thanks guys!

kencan98

Oct 4, 2010
New York
I'm not looking to sell on here or become a vendor. Actually we won't be selling online at all. I'm just looking to provide an alternative to the mall kiosks who are ripping people off and selling junk in my local area.

I want to bring vaping into the main stream around here and the crooks in the mall aren't helping. If anything, they're turning people off.

I'm just looking for ideas from you guys as to how my store can be different.

jtrygg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
This one sounds tough to me, the mall guys charge that much to turn a profit with their overhead and such. I think your biggest struggle is this, people who are really interested in vaping are probably going to search out something better than the kiosk guys; this will likely lead them to the internet where the competition is gonna get really heavy, really fast.

It sounds like you aren't planning on having a storefront or an online presence, I guess I'm confused how you plan to advertise and compete?

Edit: Reread this, I swear I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but the e-cig kiosks have been around for awhile now so obviously people are still buying from them.

Last edited:

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Vaping knowledge and customer service will garner you satisfied and repeat customers.

Have vaping info sources available; i.e. joose composition, health studies, local competitor prices, recommended 'bakky to vaping nic levels, etc. Also have a joose (flav and nic level) sampling capability.

Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

kencan98

Oct 4, 2010
New York
Yeah when I went to check out some of the places around here they were cleaning the drip tip with baby wipes between customers. Gross.

I found thin plastic baby bottle nipple covers that I got for like 5 dollars per thousand. They are individually wrapped so the customer can open it themselves to know its new and clean.

I'm just trying to think of everything I can to serve the customer better!! Thanks for the advice so far

kencan98

Oct 4, 2010
New York
This one sounds tough to me, the mall guys charge that much to turn a profit with their overhead and such. I think your biggest struggle is this, people who are really interested in vaping are probably going to search out something better than the kiosk guys; this will likely lead them to the internet where the competition is gonna get really heavy, really fast.

It sounds like you aren't planning on having a storefront or an online presence, I guess I'm confused how you plan to advertise and compete?

Edit: Reread this, I swear I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but the e-cig kiosks have been around for awhile now so obviously people are still buying from them.

I will have a storefront in February. The flea market was the best option to get started. They get massive traffic during the holiday season, I'm the first booth when you walk in, and the rent is only 20 per day. Gives me the opportunity for low overhead and great exposure.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
If you want to serve the customer better then you need variety. We all need different things to successfully vape. Besides that repeat customers that come back to purchase more things from you are your bread and butter and so there needs to be things they would purchase on a second visit. And the ability to sample juices before purchasing is a big need IMO.

Most of the people that purchase from you at the flea market are going to be first time never used an ecig before customers. WE that have vaping experience may not recommend starting with one BUT most of those trying it for the first time are determined they need a cig look-alike sized vaping devise. I may think Twist are small BUT they arent going to ;) Besides the great Twist you may want to pick a cig-a-like size kit too ;) They can purchase their Twist on their second visit to ya :D

kencan98

Oct 4, 2010
New York
If you want to serve the customer better then you need variety. We all need different things to successfully vape. Besides that repeat customers that come back to purchase more things from you are your bread and butter and so there needs to be things they would purchase on a second visit. And the ability to sample juices before purchasing is a big need IMO.

Most of the people that purchase from you at the flea market are going to be first time never used an ecig before customers. WE that have vaping experience may not recommend starting with one BUT most of those trying it for the first time are determined they need a cig look-alike sized vaping devise. I may think Twist are small BUT they arent going to ;) Besides the great Twist you may want to pick a cig-a-like size kit too ;) They can purchase their Twist on their second visit to ya :D

I agree with this 100%. I remember when I first started I had a very hard time find the right juice combo. I finally settled on Madvapes Minthol 24MG and have been on that ever since after trying probably 30 different flavors/levels/etc.

I'm not really sure as to how I would let them try different flavors though. If I were to do that I'd have to fill tanks with each flavor and have a bunch of different trial devices set up. My plan was to have a menthol trial device for menthol smokers and a tobacco flavor trial device for non-menthol smokers.

I remember a few years back I tried some cinnamon spice/big red juice from somewhere. This was when I was dripping with a 510. It ruined my Atty forever and I could never get the big red taste out of it no matter how much I cleaned it.

If there was a way, I'd do it though.

317Vapers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2012
Indiana
www.youtube.com
I was also thinking of starting a local business. There is only one and its over a hour from my location. The mall here is charging 55.00 for a clearo you can get online for 5.50 right now. I about passed out and their kits are 150-300.00 depending if you get 1-2 batteries etc. I understand everyone has to make a profit but theres a line between taking advantage of the customer and being fair and still making money to stay in business.

Whatever you do, do it as if you were the customer walking into your own store and what you would like to see. Always try to keep the customer's best interest in mind cause he/she is tech keeping you in business. Try to have a wide variety for customers to chose from and keep it clean

kencan98

Oct 4, 2010
New York
I know a guy who bout a single ego battery for $50...and $2/ml for juice.

Don't be that vendor. You can do a 200% markup and still give people good deals compared to that.

That won't be me, that's for sure. I won't be the cheapest because with the overhead of having a physical location (rent, employees, etc.), I just can't compete with the online retailers. But I'll be as close as I can and try to reach a different audience.

We're also going to be giving a free "I Quit Smoking Today" framed certificate with every purchase. The customers name will be on it, the date they quit, and we're putting them in nice frames. I know it sounds like kind of a dumb thing but it's something no one else does and it may serve as motivation for some to stick with vaping.

tater_salad

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2012
New york
I'd say remember how confused you were when you started.. there's all these talks about mods and cartomizers and takns, and clearomizers, and atomizers. and your head spins.

Make things simple but still give choices.. maybe different brands and styles of each of the below.

Maybe even put together like an asembly line fo what you need.
1. battery - Provide description of what differences are
have all batteries together with "1. Battery" sign
Maybe for sizes have ~x hrs with no crazy lies

2. *omizer - Provide dscriptions / benefits of Clearo, Ato, and Carto mizers
have all *omizers together uder a "2. *omizer" sign

3. Juice - provide differences between pv/vg and the ratios
Have all juice under a "3. Juice" sign

ALso have a mission statement / explaination that your descriptisn are't hyperbole when it comes to # of cigs, and all that jazz.

Duranu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2012
Illinois, USA
The malls kiosks are looking to hook the curious and the uninformed. The prices are typical simply because mall rental prices can be extremely high, even just for a "small" kiosk space." They only get higher if the mall can boast large traffic numbers. At the prices you're looking at, I would suspect that you'll pretty much be limited to flea markets and the like. I used to work for a mall company, not a store, but the mall itself, so I would see what these guys would get charged. I'm sure it might vary state to state, but unless the mall itself is actually pretty dead, I'd expect the rental costs alone to be a very large obstacle to get through.

I do like the certificate idea. Even small encouragements can make a big difference in helping people stay on a healthier track.

Last edited:

cwolfman13

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2012
New Mexico
I'm with others in that you're going to need more options beyond just a twist...personally, I would carry all manner of Joyetech that I could, as well as some decent cig-a-likes. A variety of cartos and atomizers...different resistances, etc...some ViVi tanks and some carto tanks, etc...Are you going to be making your own juices or importing? You need lots of juices and a way that people can sample them.

We have a few B&Ms here in ABQ...a couple of them are more headshop than vape store, but one of them is purely a vape store...they are the best. They have a wide variety of hardware as well as juices, etc (they make their own, which is pretty cool). They are Joyetech whole salers and do internet business as well as the store front (actually they started out on-line and then grew the store front) and they sell to most of the other vendors in town, including the mall guys...and all us guys that walk in off the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread