Dumb Question on Mixing TV Doublers

Status
Not open for further replies.

radicaljd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
I just ordered my first e-liquid/Doubler combination from Tasty Vapor. I ordered a 1 oz 48mg e-liquid (blueberry cheesecake), and a 2 oz doubler of the same flavor, intending to mix them to have 3 oz. of 16mg juice.

Is there anything I should know about mixing the bottles, or do I simply empty both bottles in a measuring cup, stir them up, and refill the bottles?

RadicalJD

suddenly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2009
The Secret Garden
Welcome to EFC

I will tell you what I do. I take an empty bottle, any size and usually put half and half in. Using a measuring cup could get pretty messy.:ohmy:
Because you want to reduce the juice further make sure you use more doubler than juice. I am sure someone that knows the calculations will come and tell you the right amounts to use.
At least my post will get you on the main board.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Ast_Isis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
That is pretty much the procedure for mixing the two liquids. Just a few words of caution:

Make sure the container you use for mixing is clean.
Try not to spill any of the 48mg/ml liquid on your skin or work surface.
Thourghly wash the work surface after you are done.
Rinse than wash the mixing container after use.
A funnel or large syringe would be useful when refilling the containers.

radicaljd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
If I was you I would do a small batch FIRST.

Say 20 drops of the 48mg and 40 drops of the doubler. Then taste it. If it isn't what you think it should be, the rest isn't ruined.

I'm not sure I understand. The reason I got a 1 oz liquid (48 mg) with a 2 oz doubler is because the math works out right: Combined, the 3 oz of liquid will be 16 mg, just what I want.

Isn't it easier just to combine both bottles entirely?

RadicalJD

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm not sure I understand. The reason I got a 1 oz liquid (48 mg) with a 2 oz doubler is because the math works out right: Combined, the 3 oz of liquid will be 16 mg, just what I want.

Isn't it easier just to combine both bottles entirely?

RadicalJD

Sure, it is Much easier to just dump the two together.

But let me ask you, have you ever mixed these two together so you know what it will vape like? If you mix the Entire contents of both together and you don't like it, how do you fix it?

My concept is that if your mixing ratio is 1:2, it is going to taste the same if you do a small batch or if you mix both bottles together.

So why not try a small batch first?

If you like it, Great, dump the rest of the bottles together. But if for any reason you don't like it, you will thank me for not doing the Entire contents of both bottles.

I learned the hard way when it comes to mixing that the easiest way isn't always the best. ;)

radicaljd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
Sure, it is Much easier to just dump the two together.

But let me ask you, have you ever mixed these two together so you know what it will vape like? If you mix the Entire contents of both together and you don't like it, how do you fix it?

My concept is that if your mixing ratio is 1:2, it is going to taste the same if you do a small batch or if you mix both bottles together.

So why not try a small batch first?

If you like it, Great, dump the rest of the bottles together. But if for any reason you don't like it, you will thank me for not doing the Entire contents of both bottles.

I learned the hard way when it comes to mixing that the easiest way isn't always the best. ;)

Good point. Thanks for the tip.

RadicalJD

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
I just ordered my first E-Liquid/Doubler combination from Tasty Vapor. I ordered a 1 oz 48mg E-liquid (blueberry cheesecake), and a 2 oz doubler of the same flavor, intending to mix them to have 3 oz. of 16mg juice.

^^^But the OP said that the eliquid and the doubler are the SAME flavor, so there's really no reason for a test batch. It's not a blend.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
^^^But the OP said that the eliquid and the doubler are the SAME flavor, so there's really no reason for a test batch. It's not a blend.

So what happens if the OP mixes both bottles together and the blend is not strong enough? How does the OP make it stronger?

What happens if the OP mixes both bottles together and the nicotine level is too low? How does the OP raise the level?

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
So what happens if the OP mixes both bottles together and the blend is not strong enough? How does the OP make it stronger?
So what happens if the OP makes a test batch and the flavor is not strong enough? Nothing. There's not much they could do to change it, because ANY ratio of mixing the two together will yield exactly the same flavor.

What happens if the OP mixes both bottles together and the nicotine level is too low? How does the OP raise the level?
The OP seems to be purposefully aiming for 16mg, but yeah, if for some reason they wanted to raise the nic after mixing it all together, they would have to buy more eliquid of the same flavor.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So what happens if the OP makes a test batch and the flavor is not strong enough? Nothing. There's not much they could do to change it, because ANY ratio of mixing the two together will yield exactly the same flavor.

The OP seems to be purposefully aiming for 16mg, but yeah, if for some reason they wanted to raise the nic after mixing it all together, they would have to buy more eliquid of the same flavor.

Perhaps your missing the concept...

If the OP does a small sample and finds that the flavor is not stong enough, the the OP changes the ratio to make the flavor stronger. Say 1:2.5

Same with is the nicotine level doesn't cut it. Once again, change the ratio. Perhaps 1.25:2

My experience with DIY mixing is that it doesn't always go as it should Mathematicaly. Sometimes it does, but many if not most, it doesn't.

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
Perhaps your missing the concept...

If the OP does a small sample and finds that the flavor is not stong enough, the the OP changes the ratio to make the flavor stronger. Say 1:2.5

Same with is the nicotine level doesn't cut it. Once again, change the ratio. Perhaps 1.25:2

My experience with DIY mixing is that it doesn't always go as it should Mathematicaly. Sometimes it does, but many if not most, it doesn't.

Sorry, but it's you that has missed the concept of what a doubler is and what it does. Though, I can't blame you because the name is sort of deceiving. There was a thread on this recently, so rather than retyping it I'll just point you there for further info:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-liquid-discussion/97782-doublers-2.html#post1486856

And if you don't take my word for it, here's what TV has to say:
Why Do You Call Your Mixing Solutions “Doublers”?
Well, essentially, it is just a name. Some think this implies the amount of flavoring is doubled. No. A Doubler is a 4 ounce bottle of ZERO NICOTINE vaping fluid. While it can be used directly from the bottle as a zero nicotine alternative to nicotine liquids, the primary function is a large bottle of flavored liquid, to mix down high nicotine liquid, without suffering any flavor loss as you might with just diluting with PG or VG.
http://www.tastyvapor.us/faq-i-15.html

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Sorry, but it's you that has missed the concept of what a doubler is and what it does. ...

I’m not going to argue with you. And I have read that post and have Used Doublers Before.

All I’m saying is that things don’t always turn out the way they are supposed to. No matter what a web site or a Thread on the ECF says. And I like being able to have options if they don’t besides buy more supplies.

The OP can do it anyway he or she wants. I believe though that the OP was asking for input on mixing his or her two bottles together and that is what I gave them.

The OP should take My advise, and Your advise, and Anything else he or she reads here on the ECF or Any web site and make their Own choices based on what they think is Best for Them.

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
I'm not trying to argue either, just stating facts. And the fact is that changing the eliquid:doubler ratio will not have an effect on the flavor, as you stated it would. Someone could sit there for a long time futilely trying to tweak the ratio to get more flavor, while all they'll be doing is further diluting the nicotine level the more they change the ratio. That ain't cool.

If you knew all this, you shouldn't have said the things you did which stated otherwise.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm not trying to argue either, just stating facts. And the fact is that changing the eliquid:doubler ratio will not have an effect on the flavor, as you stated it would. Someone could sit there for a long time futilely trying to tweak the ratio to get more flavor, while all they'll be doing is further diluting the nicotine level the more they change the ratio. That ain't cool.

If you knew all this, you shouldn't have said the things you did which stated otherwise.

But this is where we disagree...

48mg Blueberry Cheese Cake e-Juice tastes different than a 0mg TV Blueberry Cheese Cake doubler to me. These reason is the Nicotine has a taste. A bitter taste. Where as the Doubler does not have nicotine in it so the taste is "Purer" to what ever the flavoring is.

Perhaps you can not taste the Difference in the two. If you can not taste any difference between juice with nicotine in it and 0mg doubler then yes, there is no reason to make a test batch.

That said, I would still make a test batch to test the nicotine level. If the OP doesn't feel that 16mg is enough, there only option is to buy more e-juice in the same flavor at a higher nicotine level and remix. If 16mg is to much nicotine then the only option is to buy more doubler. Or cut it down with PG or VG and loose flavor.

I also know that it becomes more difficult and more complicated to try to fix a large amount of e-Juice the second or third time.

BTW - What is the Big down side to making a small, test batch anyway?

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
But this is where we disagree...

48mg Blueberry Cheese Cake e-Juice tastes different than a 0mg TV Blueberry Cheese Cake doubler to me. These reason is the Nicotine has a taste. A bitter taste. Where as the Doubler does not have nicotine in it so the taste is "Purer" to what ever the flavoring is.

Perhaps you can not taste the Difference in the two. If you can not taste any difference between juice with nicotine in it and 0mg doubler then yes, there is no reason to make a test batch.

Yeah but, with just the use of the eliquid and it's corresponding doubler, there is no way to lessen the flavor of the nicotine without also lessening the strength of the nicotine. If you don't like the flavor nicotine imparts, I hope you're *really* flexible with the mg strength of the nicotine, otherwise you're SOL.

That said, I really don't have any objection to your suggestion of making a test batch - just the original statement that the OP was making a flavor "blend", then the assertion that it was possible to independently tweak both the flavor and the nicotine level.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I don't believe I said you can "Independently" tweak BOTH the Flavor and the Nicontine level. But If I did or If that was the impression you got than it was incorrect.

I think this entire concept has being beaten around enough. I have stated my reasoning for making a test batch. I am willing to say that you are Completely correct in all matters and just leave it at that.

radicaljd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
Since 16mg Nicotine liquid is really what I am after, I figure I don't have a lot to lose simply mixing both bottles. I just didn't know if there was some special way I should mix them (i.e. shaking in a large bottle or simply stirring in a measuring cup).

Since I spent only $25 for the entire order, including shipping, it's not like I will need to take out a second mortgage if I mess up.

Thanks again for all the input.

RadicalJD :toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread