DSE801 Cartomizer Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

xanas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I think StormFinch had a good idea to spin my troubles with the 801 Carto into a thread of it's own, this was previously filed under the thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-dse801-cartomizers-available-anywhere-2.html

I bought 4 of the 801 cartos from MadVapes and have been running into several issues with them. I am new to vaping and have never used a cartomizer before. With this in mind, I feel my problems are mostly related to my own inexperience.

I filled one carto with about 40 drops of Mad Chai from MadVapes, didn't see any juice leaking out of the battery end, so I gave it a shot and hooked it up to my battery. The pull was very tough and got almost no vapor and the flavor was very harsh. I added a few more drops thinking that it might still be dry, no change. After a couple pulls I was coughing and my throat was burning, but had never gotten a good pull.

So I tried a different juice and carto, put enough in so that a little bit of juice leaked out the battery end. I blew it out so air could flow through and tried this one; still very tough draw, no vapor, and a burning throat. This was a flavor I had been vaping on my normal atty so I knew what to expect (good clouds and a smooth sweet flavor).

I'm very frustrated at this point and could really use some advice. Plus I'd like to empty the juice out of these cartos so I can try again. Has anyone seen a video of how to fill these since the condom method won't work?

xanas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Well, I had a few people PM me about these carts, giving me tips on how to fill them up, all generally the same. Tip the carto about 45 degrees and slowly drop in juice on the side and not straight into the center, don't let the juice build up and run into the center either. So I thought lets give it a shot, filled the last empty carto I had and slowly dripped in exactly 40 drops, dripped them in 10 at a time and let those soak in before I dripped another 10. After reaching the 40 drop mark I decided it was time to see how it worked. Had a better draw, but the taste was still harsh with almost no vapor. This is using a generic methol PG juice, but I get the same results with a PG/VG Orange Cream or Chai.

I also let all the cartos I had filled sit over night so any excess could drip out the mouth piece end (took the tip off first). Two of them had a little extra juice on the paper towel in the morning. I cleared them all out and airflow wasn't a problem for any of them anymore, but taste and vapor were still a problem (aka no vapor and harsh taste).

Is anyone else using these?

Anyone know how to empty one?

Zenfrogs

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2010
Virginia
these things take quite a bit of juice to fill ... maybe there are dry spots... I put 10 drops at 12oclock ...10 at 3oclock...10 at 6oclock...10 at 9oclock...you get the idea... you may overfill a bit but blow it out good. I think it you can sort of this issue you will really like them. I have been really impressed with vapor and flavor.

Every time I have gotten the lit filter taste it has been because the carto was too dry or worse when I grabbed a blank thinking it was a filled one...ugh... that is the worst taste ever.. it kinda burns too! seems to me you have to have some dry spots in there... I would personally flood the crap out of one and then blow it out really well just to rule out the dry spot possibility....

xanas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Ok, after checking out several natural foods stores and a few farm supply stores, I keep striking out on finding pure PG. So I resorted to picking up a bottle of VG and used it to fill a carto. After letting it sit over night I gave it a try, this is a TON better. There was no harshness, not as much smoke as normal, but VG tends to have less smoke anyway. Overall, these do seem to be usable. I'll know more after I try a couple more.

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
Hey check out Dave "leggomyears" new vid on this cartomizer in response to the airflow and filling issues and be sure to watch it through, especially about the hard draw issues;

YouTube - VapeTalk 801 Cartomizer AirFlow and Filling Instructions

Also, I've been checking the reviews on the 801 cartos on MV website and appears that they are not all consistent, some are reporting they are getting bad ones. I'm not sold on them yet, and I can chain vape like mad at times, the carts are holding out fine for me, so I'm gonna hold off on ordering any for now.

Last edited:

trs-80

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2009
Pensacola FL (Beulah)
I also let all the cartos I had filled sit over night so any excess could drip out the mouth piece end (took the tip off first). Two of them had a little extra juice on the paper towel in the morning. I cleared them all out and airflow wasn't a problem for any of them anymore, but taste and vapor were still a problem (aka no vapor and harsh taste).

Is anyone else using these?

Anyone know how to empty one?

I dont have the 801 carto but have used 808d-1 and greensmoke cartos. I would put the mouth piece in and just let it sit a little while 1/2 hour or so. Sounds like its dry at the atty . putting it vertical helps get the juice to the other end while filling but lying on its side should be fine afterward.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
In agreement with all, these cartos do take a little bit of getting used to...the first one for some reason was also making me cough, so decided to not use it anymore. The second one was fine, juice tasted right, but after two days it went cold. Had been sort of expecting that, but it could have been an issue with my over-vaping, "new" things sort of make me do that...I'm scared to death of Panic, so probably just over-used it, not letting it cool! (That "panic" thing was kind of a joke, but I think everyone gets that.)
Third one: ( I bought six ) I've been using for now eight days, and is still performing like a trooper. So in 12 days of use, I still have 3 unused and 1 currently in use out of six, am very happy with this number. @$2.49 they are tremendously cheaper than regular 801 atomizers.
If you still like me have questions on the best way to fill, I also use my needle bottle to deposit a few drops in a circular pattern on the filler, careful not to get it in the middle, until it looks wet but not puddled. But if it sounds like you're drawing air bubbles or hear gurgling noise, blow out the excess juice from the thread side into a paper towel, just like any other atomizer. After doing that you should have volumes of vapor, and nice taste; these do not burn as hot as a regular 801, and I have had not one bit of trouble with one tasting scorched or burned.
So, my vote is "Approval" of these cartomizers, I am very pleased with them. NOTE: that second one that was cold, I decided to soak it in Everclear (95% grain alcohol) for a couple hours, and then rinsed it. It cleaned very well, but I had to use a hair dryer to dry the water out, and juiced it up again, but it was burned out. I tore it apart, one of the wires was off the coil. So cleaning is an option, juice does sometimes thicken after a lot of use. And I guess we have to expect a dud once in awhile.
I will order more, as it stands now. If anything changes, I'll post back on this thread again to share.

Last edited:

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
I just started a trouble ticket with MV tonight so won't get a reply till tomorrow. BTW..... I'm a fan of MV. Last week I ordered five empty 801 cartos. Just got to filling them in the wee hours of this morning to send off with DH on out of town weekly work. All five were so foul I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth for hours. (I'm experienced at dry burning and never popped anything.) I started doing a short dry burn but never could get to the point where masses of foul (I hate to call it vapor) smoke stopped coming off of them.

So I gave up on that and did hot water run through and soaking, several times, slung and blew them out in-between, and then used hair dryer to get them as dry as possible. Time was running out and I so wanted to have these ready for DH when he woke up. A little bit of dry burning ...... still masses of foul smoke.

I repeated all hot water washing, blow drying etc. So then I filled one up with a pretty strong flavor juice and all I could taste was the foul smoke vaping for about 5 minutes.

I washed that one out, dried it and threw all five in my rice filled container, where I store all of my clean attys and cartos.

Late this afternoon one was barely acceptable using strong flavor juice with cinnamon added to it. I tried one other with a milder juice and just about puked.

In addition, the one I'm trying to use tonight won't hold much more than 20 drops and it leaks. Same with the one that I tried that was still too foul.

Both leak..... no matter what power source, mod, or adapter I use. When I look at the filling it is unlike the filling of any other cartos I have. It even looks like it "shouldn't" hold much. Even after filling, even flooding it, the top of the filler looks dried out.

Anybody else have this experience with any of the cartos from MV?

I just made a good sized order from them tonight, but I didn't order any 801 cartos for fear of the same thing happening, so it hasn't ruined my going to them for supplies. I have enough experience to know that there will be some bad apples in some bunches but all five were retched.

Although DH and I have only been vaping for a little over two months I have plenty of PVs, three mods, not including eGos, and all kinds of cartos and atty/carts so I'm not new, by any means to, using cartos.

I expect to hear back from MV tomorrow. They don't do refunds or returns on cartos but I'm hoping they'll send me some more. I don't expect or demand that but it would be nice.

In the meantime I don't want to order from some place else as I have had my "mailbox" filled to the brim with orders many days in the past couple of weeks. I don't want to pay shipping for just a few cartos only.

DH was really bummed.

Hey check out Dave "leggomyears" new vid on this cartomizer in response to the airflow and filling issues and be sure to watch it through, especially about the hard draw issues;

YouTube - VapeTalk 801 Cartomizer AirFlow and Filling Instructions

Also, I've been checking the reviews on the 801 cartos on MV website and appears that they are not all consistent, some are reporting they are getting bad ones. I'm not sold on them yet, and I can chain vape like mad at times, the carts are holding out fine for me, so I'm gonna hold off on ordering any for now.

turtle617

Nov 7, 2009
backstage
geez - wish I read this about a half hour ago! I just order some 801 cartomizers (5 in a pack for 7.49) from ecigsupply. They don't have the whistle tip I'm used to so that's a little strange. But as soon as the postman drove off I ran to the mailbox and ripped open the package and immediately tried out the carto. Of course, I flooded it out - got juice (100% VG) in the center, got the gurgling - everything you're not supposed to do. I like the eye dropper bottles (easier to drip with and regular attys) so I have no idea what a "drop" is. But after nudging the juice around into the foam with a metal dental pick, it seemed to clear up the flooding issue. It's working so far.
How long do the 801 carto's usually last? My 302's last me about 2-3 months - constant use and dripping with VG.

turtle617

Nov 7, 2009
backstage
I get all my hardware pretty much from ecigsupply. They have the best prices for penstyle stuff. Though I wish they had a few more accessory items for that model (i.e. chargers, etc). And a good variety of colors. The 302 regular atty's from here are wonderful. I usually get my shipment 2 days of ordering - btw - I'm not affiliated with them, just like the store and service... and the prices! Hope this helps.

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread