DSE-601 E-Pipe review by asidrave

Status
Not open for further replies.

bri1270

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
Massachusetts - USA
Hey guys - got my pipe today. I have a couple of questions, but first a comment - They could certainly do a better job of packaging these things. All of the material is there, they simply need to compress the items into the foam more securely and put a piece of thin cardboard on the top to hold it all in.

Anyway - in the instructions it says there should be a bracket which looks like a little folding chair that holds the pipe when you set it down. Did anyone else get one of these? Mine did not come with one.

Now I play the 12 hour waiting game...

asidrave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2009
New Jersey
Hey guys - got my pipe today. I have a couple of questions, but first a comment - They could certainly do a better job of packaging these things. All of the material is there, they simply need to compress the items into the foam more securely and put a piece of thin cardboard on the top to hold it all in.

Anyway - in the instructions it says there should be a bracket which looks like a little folding chair that holds the pipe when you set it down. Did anyone else get one of these? Mine did not come with one.

Now I play the 12 hour waiting game...

mine was packed ok....nothing came out of the foam. i didnt receive the pipe stand as well.

CharlesMaples

May 11, 2009
Tampa Fl
Another nice review asidrave! I keep getting tempted to buy this thing!!! You are not helping resist the urge either!

The only thing that kills me is the fact that if the atomizer goes it's $42 to replace the it and the nice wooden bowl goes straight to the garbage. Does there look like any way to clean these to prolong the atomizer life? Has anyone had an atomizer go out on them? What is the expected life on these? I know there is a one year warranty but by the time you pay shipping both directions it would almost be the same to just buy another atomizer.

got a month and 3/4 on mine so far with no problems. (heavy use almost only thing I have been vaping ) If I can get 2 months on an atty considering the price of analogs its cheap

bri1270

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
Massachusetts - USA
Does anyone know where we can get batteries for the 601?

And can someone explain to me why we have to charge the battery for 12 hours when all it's really doing is sitting on the charger not charging for about 8 of those 12 hours?

It's interesting, the atomizer doesn't look any bigger than the one on a DSE701/Cigar. I thought there might be a little more beef to the pipe atty, but it's really all about the battery and the aesthetics of the pipe itself. Don't get me wrong, I love it. It hold an awesome amount of liquid, almost all of which can actually be vaped; the battery life is great, and the ergonomics of it make it extremely comfortable even though it's reasonably heavy compared to other devices.

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009

I just ordered one last week from ruyan, plus an extra atty. Now I can have two fog blowers going at the same time. Do a google search for the battery. Let us know if you hunt one down.

And can someone explain to me why we have to charge the battery for 12 hours when all it's really doing is sitting on the charger not charging for about 8 of those 12 hours?

I just follow the instructions. Does not make sense to me either.

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
Folks, help me out here with some suggestions. I am getting reduced vapor, off and on, from my week old 601. I am only using cartridges. Batteries are fresh from the charger.

I know that flooding or a dry atomizer can cause this. I drained the pipe a day ago and cleaned up the inside of the atomizer chamber and it worked much better.

Today, vapor is weak again and a 'blow out' did not seem to work so I ran the cleaning cycle for about 15 seconds and loaded up one of the carts that came with the kit. (Nasty stuff; my wife hates it). Still seems a bit weak on vapor, throat hit is minimal, at best, but better than the cart I filled.

Suggestions? When I top off a cart I make sure no liquid pools on the top so flooding may not be the primary problem. I did consider that the juices I may be using do not produce big vapor. Perhaps I am puffing too much on it and it cannot keep up with me? Or am I just getting used to the pipe that it no longer impresses me or am I forgetting something basic? Thanks.

bri1270

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
Massachusetts - USA
Sorry chef - haven't had mine long enough to learn any tweaks that would help. I will say that my prefilled carts are all saturated with liquid, so I would guess that's at least close to how they should be filled. I've had to refill twice today and I jacked the cart all the way up and didn't have any flooding issues.

CharlesMaples

May 11, 2009
Tampa Fl

litecigusa.com or ruyandirect

The battery is trickle charging the process has not stopped when the led goes green

bri1270

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
Massachusetts - USA
litecigusa.com or ruyandirect

The battery is trickle charging the process has not stopped when the led goes green

Thanks Charles - so when it's "trickle charging" it won't even be a little warm to the touch?

Also - Litcig and Wayne at HG are both OOS on the batteries...Already checked them. I can't seem to find a protected version at the usual alternative sites either.

CharlesMaples

May 11, 2009
Tampa Fl
Thanks Charles - so when it's "trickle charging" it won't even be a little warm to the touch?

Also - Litcig and Wayne at HG are both OOS on the batteries...Already checked them. I can't seem to find a protected version at the usual alternative sites either.

Generally When trickle charging a battery will be room temp.

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
In response to my own post about reduced vapor, I pulled my cart and have been vaping off the liquid in and around the atomizer. Vapor is is increasing with every draw. I am guessing this device floods pretty easily and a drain each night might be a good best practice. Waiting for the all-knowing asidrave to check in and support or correct my concepts.

By the way, folks, I love this device. If I could do it all over again, I would own a DIY Magnum device (or an SD, GG, Zi Moshi, etc) and the 601.

jebjr

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2008
tewksbury, ma
Folks, help me out here with some suggestions. I am getting reduced vapor, off and on, from my week old 601. I am only using cartridges. Batteries are fresh from the charger.

I know that flooding or a dry atomizer can cause this. I drained the pipe a day ago and cleaned up the inside of the atomizer chamber and it worked much better.

Today, vapor is weak again and a 'blow out' did not seem to work so I ran the cleaning cycle for about 15 seconds and loaded up one of the carts that came with the kit. (Nasty stuff; my wife hates it). Still seems a bit weak on vapor, throat hit is minimal, at best, but better than the cart I filled.

Suggestions? When I top off a cart I make sure no liquid pools on the top so flooding may not be the primary problem. I did consider that the juices I may be using do not produce big vapor. Perhaps I am puffing too much on it and it cannot keep up with me? Or am I just getting used to the pipe that it no longer impresses me or am I forgetting something basic? Thanks.
I found that it was only a battery problem when my 601 started to have reduced vapor. I put in a new one and its like new again.

asidrave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2009
New Jersey
In response to my own post about reduced vapor, I pulled my cart and have been vaping off the liquid in and around the atomizer. Vapor is is increasing with every draw. I am guessing this device floods pretty easily and a drain each night might be a good best practice. Waiting for the all-knowing asidrave to check in and support or correct my concepts.

By the way, folks, I love this device. If I could do it all over again, I would own a DIY Magnum device (or an SD, GG, Zi Moshi, etc) and the 601.

believe it or not...my 601 has never flooded. it has sometimes gotten a bit more liquid in the atomizer than it should...yet never to the point that i couldn't vape it.

it would make a gurgling sound and get a tremendous vapor cloud from it :)

Wolfshifter

May 31, 2009
Oklahoma, USA
Wow! This looks like something I could buy my dad as a Father's Day/Birthday gift! His birthday is in a month, hence the combination of the two. Wish I could afford to get him a separate present for each day.

Anyway, he used to like Hav-A-Tampa Jewels Sweet cigars. From the review, I'm wondering if this is close enough that he would enjoy it. Does anyone know or has anyone tried it? I guess I'd have to buy it myself to know for sure...

His fiance doesn't like him smoking those because of the smell, so this seems like a good alternative.

I forgot why I was asking for a comparison since the more I think about it, the more it sounds like a stupid question. If you can answer this for me, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread