Dripping questions for a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tlia304

Apr 3, 2014
Texas, USA
I have been vaping now for 3 weeks and was having real issues with tasting my juices so I decided to go to my local store and they had a Phoenix drip atty so I thought, why not. It is the one with 4 air holes in it and dual coil. I watched as many videos about it and read up on rda's as much as I could before I started using it. It has great flavor but I swear I am smelling/tasting the wick? It has a bit of a chemically smell when it burns? Is this normal? I am using it on a vamo, with uncle junk's Jon Wayne and at 10w. Any insight? I do have the mvp2 coming in the mail and will be probably using on that as well so hoping for some help before it arrives Thursday also, it's giving me a bit of a headache?

Tlia304

Apr 3, 2014
Texas, USA
machine oil? factory smell? did you give it a rinse? is it silica wick?
have you tryed different flavors? unflavored?
As I am so new at this I have no idea how to tell what kind of wick it is but it looks like its spiral twisted if that makes sense? It doesn't look braided. I am getting ready to try other flavors but I can taste the flavor over this other taste/smell. I did not rinse it first as I actually never saw anyone do that from the videos, I'll try that also. On a side note though, like I had said, I've been having some flavor issues where I'm mostly tasting juice flavors that are overly "spiced" I guess you could say? I also swear the metal mouthpieces make me taste things differently than my plastic tips do? I'm three weeks new and don't know anyone close by me that vapes that I trust to ask! Thanks for the input!! Also, I have tested it and everything looks to be burning nicely on both of the coils! They lit up evenly.

cruze808

Mar 28, 2014
HI
1 . dissasemble rba's coils and wick
2. Wipe, wash and rinse good
3. Boil in water and alittle vinegar for 5 to 10min
4. Rinse Wipe down dry and rebuild
I always take these steps for rba's don't trust that its clean and sterile. Ive had rba s with metal shavings and machine oil that wont rinse with water alone. The boil in water and vinegar helps cut the oil that you cant get to. Youll taste alot of the impurities so trust it. If it is the juice at least you ruled out the rba.:)

Feignix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I just started dripping on the Smoktech Terminator atty I just received recently in the mail. I too have only been vaping around 3 weeks and wanted to try dripping, for testing flavors as well as flavor improvement. I had previously watched only one video on dripping and it was on the HH357 306 custom made atty, and I simply followed the same instructions he gave regarding his. Mainly being gently blowing through the air hole in the threads that connect to the battery first, to get any dust, or left over materials that may have accumulated in the atty. While this one wasn't primed, I went ahead and primed it with a couple of drops of my juice and after letting it sit for a few, I went ahead and filled it with another 5-6 drops approximately.
From what your describing, I would say it is possible that your wick is silica and that you are tasting it. However I think that the "spicey" taste you are tasting is actually the PG, which is intensified by dripping it. I personally don't care for that taste, and while I do have a few juices I really like that have a 40% PG mix in them, I found that some of them I didn't care for the taste when dripped, but loved when vaped in my tanks, some I noticed were definitely MORE flavorful and delicious! All that being said, the first few vapes weren't the best, even with a juice that turned out to be wonderful dripped, which as the gentlemen in the video explained was likely. The taste fortunately went away after a few vapes, and I was even able to change flavors when I would try one I didn't care for, and after only one or two draws be able to start enjoying the new juice again! It definitely made me a believer and fan of dripping, and I can see now what all the fuss was about! Impractical for me all the time, but certainly something I will return to, especially for my best juices as well as trying out a new juice. Remember though, intensification can work either way with juices, and VG to PG ratio's, either intensifying what you really like about a juice, or bringing out a flavor you didn't really notice before, or was better off being muted when vaped another way if that makes sense. Also I forgot to mention that I did slightly pre moisten my wick as well, and that if you take too many dry hits, and it won't take many, that you can permanently affect the taste of your wick and coils if not burn it up prematurely! Hope I've helped as I am just as new as it myself! Good luck in rebuilding if you decide to go that route, I have organic cotton and bamboo wick and am waiting on 32 g Kanthal from Amazon myself!

Tlia304

Apr 3, 2014
Texas, USA
Perect, thanks for the advice!! I am going to rebuild it after my amazon order shows up! The spacey flavors that I am noticing are mainly from tanks. I am having a hard time getting the flavors from anything that isn't either spicy or minty from my tanks, this is what actually made me decide to try the dripping to see if it changed anything as far as flavor goes. To me I don't really care so much about the throat hits as I do being able to really taste the flavors. Vaping helped me quit smoking but I am worried if I can't find something flavorful enough that I'll get bored with it all together!

Last edited:

Feignix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Out of all my tanks my Kanger's perform and taste the best! I have a few aerotanks, new Evod's and protanks. I haven't done any rebuilding yet, but if you ever want to go for no fuss, I highly recommend them. I wish I would have known that from the get go and I could have saved myself some money! Even the Evod's have performed wonderfully after non stop vaping them!

Tlia304

Apr 3, 2014
Texas, USA
Out of all my tanks my Kanger's perform and taste the best! I have a few aerotanks, new Evod's and protanks. I haven't done any rebuilding yet, but if you ever want to go for no fuss, I highly recommend them. I wish I would have known that from the get go and I could have saved myself some money! Even the Evod's have performed wonderfully after non stop vaping them!

So far I own a Kanger TS3 and I love it. The hookah store here that sells a few vaping items had another one and they told me they were crap so they gave it to me for free!! Yay me!! I have been wondering about the Evod's as they also had some of those and once again same comment from the store. I have been looking at the aero tanks but wasn't sure if they were worth the extra $?

Feignix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Tila,

I LOVE my aerotanks! The airflow adjuster is really easy to use, I just set it an forget it, usually not messing with it too much.
I have had absolutely NO issues with them, leaks, gurgles, flooding, NOTHING, knock on wood lol! I've been using them for about 2 months now. I use high or 100% VG juice blends that are usually very sugary and dark at times also, so I do prefer changing my coils out often, but other than that, I REALLY do like them. I also have dedicated tanks for most flavors although I do feel some of them up with similar juices from the same vendor as well. I got mine for around $16 off of Ebay, and after shopping around that was the best deal at the time, around 2 months ago anyways. I even got an extra tank, so since I picked a color tank option, I have a clear replacement if anything goes wrong!

My vaping work space has a concrete floor and I've dropped the base as well as the entire mod and tank set up and so far haven't broken a tank yet, although I did get a bit of damage to the bottom edge of the base. I haven't had any problems with it screwing on to threads of my mods luckily though, so I'd say even though they're glass, they're pretty durable and the metal holds up FANTASTIC!

To wash them out, I use distilled water and a touch of Ivory liquid dish soap, and clean them with bottle brushes. I rinse them in a glass cup of distilled water with a very small amount of vinegar, and then just distilled water and let them dry thoroughly before I'm ready again! By doing that you could just use new coils for different juices if you didn't want to invest in a lot different tanks. Right now I have four of them.

I just got my Boge's in the mail and have had my AGR locking tank for awhile now so I'm hoping to get that set up in the next day or two and try it out!

Pick one up cheap off of Ebay, from a reputable seller and try it out, and Evod, or even Evod glass which uses the same coils as the aerotank. I'll be picking up a 5 pack of the Evod glass myself soon! Try them out, I don't think you'll be disappointed! Good luck!

I have vaping now for about yea. The move to ego followed by magnet. I have started building for 6 months. I have been checking out different products a juices I will agree with the rest of the group you have no idea what process is used to make your device. Please wash every thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim32244

Verified Member
Mar 22, 2014
United States
One thing you could try for dripping is not rebuilding. Get a low-res 510 atty, an Ego cone and a drip tip.

Not into dripping yet but saw this on inside smokers video and ordered one. It looks like it holds 3 to 4 drops and no need to build coil. I was looking for something to test different flavors and this 510 atty seems perfect and only 5$.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
Not into dripping yet but saw this on inside smokers video and ordered one. It looks like it holds 3 to 4 drops and no need to build coil. I was looking for something to test different flavors and this 510 atty seems perfect and only 5$.

Can't see your link but 510 attys are a great way to go for dripping or testing flavours. If it doesn't come with a drip tip or Ego cone then get those too. The cone makes the setup more stable and improves the vape imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread