Drilling scar question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gammaxgoblin

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2013
Utah, US
Are these valid reasons for filling out my scar rda;
1. Gets very very hot, almost untouchable.
2. Very tight draw. I could live with the draw but it's not my preference.

There is a $4 but set that goes 1mm, 1.2mm, 1.5mm or an$18 one that goes from 0 to 60 gauge. The gauged set will give more precision, but is it necessary?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

vapo jam

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2013
county of orange, ca
yeah, drilling out the airhole won't significantly cool the rda. the whole thing is pretty much made out of metal, and you're heating up a coil that touches some of the metal, and is sitting right in the middle of the rest. even if you use a pre-built dripper (like an hh357 or a joye atty), it gets really hot pretty quickly - this isn't really anything to worry about.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
No kiddin'? How itty bitty? Never mind... I'll look it up. (which is what I should have done in the first place... but oh no!, I can't do that, that's too much freakin' trouble, I'd rather just ask a bunch of st00pid questions about coil size and.......... )

Woo yeah... that is a crowded little d00de ain't it. No wonder it gets a mite warm. ;-)

At least it ain't a Piculisci.

gammaxgoblin

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2013
Utah, US
I appreciate your guys responses and acknowledge my experience on these areas doesn't match yours......but....to make an analogy. Vehicle engine compartments are subject to much heat. This is why the front of the car is designed to allow airflow through it (in addition to air cooling the liquid cooling system). Restrict that airflow and excessive heat build-up will occur.....more air flowing into and out of the atomizer should decrease the heat build up...no?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
to use your analogy even with a radiator and the open grill the engine in the car is so close to the sides of the engine compartment the hood and fenders still get hot.

while i know multi coils is the thing now, trying to stuff 2 of them in a cyclone body is slightly overkill and I dont think smok gave much design thought past how well it will sell.

If i remember correctly the scar is a bottom air feed correct? and drilling holes in the side "May" throw off the airflow. for what its worth you can try it maybe it might get better. but my thinking is moving hot air faster in such a small space will just heat everything up quicker.

in the end if you screw it up you can always pick up a YK1 from fasttech (cyclone copy ) for 5 bucks and have a new topcap

gammaxgoblin

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2013
Utah, US
Well you guys were correct. I drilled it to 1/16 and it still gets just as hot lol. The draw is much smoother and it performs much better with it opened up a little. The atomizer punched through tremendously easy, must be pretty thin. The cap took a little longer but still very easy.
Thanks again for the feedback. Do all disk coil rdas get really hot? If not which ones are good for staying cool?

JOzOrko

Sep 3, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Well you guys were correct. I drilled it to 1/16 and it still gets just as hot lol. The draw is much smoother and it performs much better with it opened up a little. The atomizer punched through tremendously easy, must be pretty thin. The cap took a little longer but still very easy.
Thanks again for the feedback. Do all disk coil rdas get really hot? If not which ones are good for staying cool?

So did you just drill the existing hole or did you add another air hole in the cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread