Dotmod DotAIO V2 - running a silo tank from Orcavape. Need advice.

Cavs_Tandem4510

Apr 10, 2023
So I just got this set-up today
*Dotmod DotAIO V2
*Silo tank from Orcavape
I have no experience with this type of device. I usually run podmods or a Mod with an RDA(which is my favorite setup)
So I am experienced with rebuildables. However The 2 coils I have tried in this Silo tank have turned out to have almost no flavor
All I taste is the bland nicotine taste. How do I build this tank so that I can get the best flavor? Do I need certain types of coils? or a certain type of wire to wrap coils?
I really want to make this thing work cause I do like the device and the Silo Tank. Any advice/experience will help.
Thanks,
Josh

Attachments

• Dotmod_DotAIOv2_Silo.jpg
    Dotmod_DotAIOv2_Silo.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Informative
Reactions: Izan

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
So I just got this set-up today
*Dotmod DotAIO V2
*Silo tank from Orcavape
I have no experience with this type of device. I usually run podmods or a Mod with an RDA(which is my favorite setup)
So I am experienced with rebuildables. However The 2 coils I have tried in this Silo tank have turned out to have almost no flavor
All I taste is the bland nicotine taste. How do I build this tank so that I can get the best flavor? Do I need certain types of coils? or a certain type of wire to wrap coils?
I really want to make this thing work cause I do like the device and the Silo Tank. Any advice/experience will help.
Thanks,
Josh
Hi and welcome,
Are you using a known/familiar to you, juice flavor? What is the nicotine level of the juice? Is it salt or freebase?

Watch a few youtube build videos for this device.

Basic:
Install air flow pin that corresponds with how you vape. MTL-DTL .8mm-3.0mm
Install 2.5-3mm coil, centered over air hole. (0.08Ω-2.5Ω)
Pre heat at low watts to remove hot spots and confirm function/ even heating.

Wick properly (This is the hard part)

Adjust wattage and draw strength as needed.

Cheers
I

Cavs_Tandem4510

Apr 10, 2023
the build I am using ->
- the largest airflow pin which is my preference, for a restricted direct lung.
Juice - non salt Nic juice that is 6mg. It's the same juice I use in most all of my devices. it is a very flavorful mint menthol and also a sweeter juice.

- I am currently using a smaller sized coil (smaller than I would use in an RDA)
It's registering at .24 ohms and I was hitting it at 30-50 watts.

All I can taste is the bland Nicotine taste - not much menthol and no sweetness at all. very odd. There has to be a solution to this to bring out the flavor.

Just for the heck of it I took the Silo RBA out and used the stock dot mod tank that takes dotmod mesh coils (coils that are manufactured - the type you put in pod mods), and the flavor is great like all of my other devices.

Is there someone who makes coils specifically for RBA AIO's or something like that? I paid almost 80$ for this silo tank so I really need to figure this thing out. I prefer rebuildable because generally the flavor is better and when a coil is burnt up it just need new cotton. The replaceable pod mod coils get expensive, and you basically have to toss them, when all they really need is new cotton. So for these reasons I generally think the rebuildables are the way to go if they both satisfy you, and you don't mind tinkering with rebuilding them (which I don't at all). I enjoy it.
Thanks.
Josh

Attachments

• SiloRBA011.jpeg
    SiloRBA011.jpeg
    465 KB · Views: 43

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
the build I am using ->
- the largest airflow pin which is my preference, for a restricted direct lung.

So the 3.0mm?

Juice - non salt Nic juice that is 6mg. It's the same juice I use in most all of my devices. it is a very flavorful mint menthol and also a sweeter juice.
- I am currently using a smaller sized coil (smaller than I would use in an RDA)
It's registering at .24 ohms and I was hitting it at 30-50 watts.

What are the details of the build? Wire type, coil type, retail or DIY, ID, wraps?

Are you SURE the coil glows evenly and heats from the center out?

So for these reasons I generally think the rebuildables are the way to go if they both satisfy you, and you don't mind tinkering with rebuilding them (which I don't at all). I enjoy it.

Thanks.
Josh
You know the process...tinker Josh!
Build it a dozen times. Round wire, twisted, clapton and the rest... find what works.
Rewick it twice as many times. Hard, loose, pads, bacon, rayon, puffs...

Photos showing the position of the coil above air hole(s) showing elevation and alignment of coil relative to posts and deck , pre-wicking, are useful

Can you not attach the Silo to a normal 510 device and recoil/rewick/vape it like an RTA until the build is to your liking?

Cheers
I

Cavs_Tandem4510

Apr 10, 2023
I've done 8-10 different types of builds in this tank and I am getting the same results. strange. I'm starting to think this tank is no good. I am going to try getting some pre-built RBA coils and give that a try. I can't imagine that will change much though. I have 7 different types of wire and I have tried them all. they are all kanthal though I haven't tried any other types of wire for building this tank.

Users who are viewing this thread