Don't know whether to laugh or cry ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

peakcomm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2013
Somewhere in the US in my RV
I've been looking forward to a visit with my friend Mike -- a 65yo who's been chain-smoking for more than 45 years, 3 or more packs a day. He had a stroke 10 years ago, related to his smoking, and checked himself out of the hospital against medical advice after only four days, because they wouldn't let him smoke. Never quite recovered and he's been on disability since. As a single father with two teenage boys, I don't even know how he affords his habit. His boys, both of whom cough as much as if they smoked themselves, have nagged him to quit and he's tried a few times. He has some strange ideas of what's "manly," and gum and patches don't stack up, so he always went cold turkey. But he rarely made it for more than a few days.

I couldn't wait to tell him about vaping, how well it worked for me, how easy it was, how much better it was, how he could save money with the right set-up -- well, I'm preaching to the choir now, you all know what I wanted to tell him! I thought about bringing along a starter kit for him, but knowing he's a bit of an odd duck, I didn't want to make the wrong choice and turn him off before he started. Would he want a cig-alike and think something bigger was too weird-looking? Would he insist it had to taste like tobacco? No question, it had to be dead simple. He's a true Luddite when it comes to technology and I knew he wouldn't want to mess around with a lot of fiddly little pieces.

So when we went to his oldest boy's graduation this past Saturday, I brought along several set-ups. An eGo twist with a Pro-Tank loaded with cinnamon roll juice. A pass-through eGo with a disposable clearo filled with butterscotch (which I know is his favorite candy flavor). And a couple 510s, one manual and one auto, one with a nano clearo loaded with amaretto (his drink of choice) and one with a pre-filled carto in USA tobacco flavor. I had all the bases covered, I thought.

We were together nearly the entire day. I didn't even mention it to him, just happily vaped away, alternating between all the set-ups I brought. His boys asked tons of questions: how much did they cost, how did it work, what were the differences, what was in it, did it come in other flavors ... was I really, really done with cigarettes? (They've grown up watching me try to quit more times than their dad tried, so skepticism comes naturally to them.) He didn't say a word or ask a question, but I know he heard every answer.

I vaped in the auditorium where the ceremony was held. At the restaurant where we had dinner after, I vaped at the table while he went outside in the rain to smoke. At the house, I vaped as he chain-smoked ... and offered me a cigarette every time he lit one. He seemed genuinely confused when I wasn't interested.

The boys started to press him -- why don't you just try it, Dad? Nope. No. I've got my smokes. No. No.

By the end of the day, before I left, I finally asked. Why don't I leave one of these with you for a day or two? I'll see you again this week. I'm not pressing you to quit smoking, just maybe vape once in a while instead. Do your lungs and your wallet both a favor.

Know what he told me? "No-oo-oo. It's for GIRLS!"

I, a 60-yo "girl," am the only vaper he has ever met. Therefore, vaping isn't manly. I couldn't have fixed that, no matter how carefully I planned.

BostLabs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Phoenix, AZ. USA
Well shoot! I guess I need to wear a dress now.

Man that is gonna cause some issues on my bike...

Ahhh and I gotta change everything to pink! Pink leathers on a Harley... I'll never live it down.

No! I refuse! Do me a favor and punch him... Hard! then ask if that felt like a girl! Wait! no, don't do that. :D

hmmm... Pink gloves at MMA class is going to look silly....

Well I sure as heck am not giving up vaping.

I can growl at him for you if you like. Marines, even former ones, are good at growling. Next to shooting things up it's what we excel at.

LOL!

Good luck my friend! I'm almost as stubborn but I saw the light.

Last edited:

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
I've been looking forward to a visit with my friend Mike -- a 65yo who's been chain-smoking for more than 45 years, 3 or more packs a day. He had a stroke 10 years ago, related to his smoking, and checked himself out of the hospital against medical advice after only four days, because they wouldn't let him smoke. Never quite recovered and he's been on disability since. As a single father with two teenage boys, I don't even know how he affords his habit. His boys, both of whom cough as much as if they smoked themselves, have nagged him to quit and he's tried a few times. He has some strange ideas of what's "manly," and gum and patches don't stack up, so he always went cold turkey. But he rarely made it for more than a few days.

I couldn't wait to tell him about vaping, how well it worked for me, how easy it was, how much better it was, how he could save money with the right set-up -- well, I'm preaching to the choir now, you all know what I wanted to tell him! I thought about bringing along a starter kit for him, but knowing he's a bit of an odd duck, I didn't want to make the wrong choice and turn him off before he started. Would he want a cig-alike and think something bigger was too weird-looking? Would he insist it had to taste like tobacco? No question, it had to be dead simple. He's a true Luddite when it comes to technology and I knew he wouldn't want to mess around with a lot of fiddly little pieces.

So when we went to his oldest boy's graduation this past Saturday, I brought along several set-ups. An eGo twist with a Pro-Tank loaded with cinnamon roll juice. A pass-through eGo with a disposable clearo filled with butterscotch (which I know is his favorite candy flavor). And a couple 510s, one manual and one auto, one with a nano clearo loaded with amaretto (his drink of choice) and one with a pre-filled carto in USA tobacco flavor. I had all the bases covered, I thought.

We were together nearly the entire day. I didn't even mention it to him, just happily vaped away, alternating between all the set-ups I brought. His boys asked tons of questions: how much did they cost, how did it work, what were the differences, what was in it, did it come in other flavors ... was I really, really done with cigarettes? (They've grown up watching me try to quit more times than their dad tried, so skepticism comes naturally to them.) He didn't say a word or ask a question, but I know he heard every answer.

I vaped in the auditorium where the ceremony was held. At the restaurant where we had dinner after, I vaped at the table while he went outside in the rain to smoke. At the house, I vaped as he chain-smoked ... and offered me a cigarette every time he lit one. He seemed genuinely confused when I wasn't interested.

The boys started to press him -- why don't you just try it, Dad? Nope. No. I've got my smokes. No. No.

By the end of the day, before I left, I finally asked. Why don't I leave one of these with you for a day or two? I'll see you again this week. I'm not pressing you to quit smoking, just maybe vape once in a while instead. Do your lungs and your wallet both a favor.

Know what he told me? "No-oo-oo. It's for GIRLS!"

I, a 60-yo "girl," am the only vaper he has ever met. Therefore, vaping isn't manly. I couldn't have fixed that, no matter how carefully I planned.

Well, you tried your best. It sounds like he has deep issues with his personal identity which have built an impenetrable barrier all around him.

BostLabs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Phoenix, AZ. USA
Pride: the real #1 killer of "men".
No kidding!

Maybe it is the device. Do you have something bigger than the Twist? Although I have no idea what is Manly about a piece of paper rolled with with some shredded leaf and attached to a filter.

I wish I could help. I have some eliquid that is so strong it would grow hair on your chest.... If you are into that sort of thing. :) In other words, Manly! (so manly in fact that I can only vape a little bit of it at a time. :D)

peakcomm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2013
I can growl at him for you if you like. Marines, even former ones, are good at growling. Next to shooting things up it's what we excel at.

LOL! BostLabs, I sure wish I could introduce you to him!

my friend's husband felt the same way. so she drug him to a local meet. he started vaping that night

Cags, I wish there was a chance I could get him to some kind of community event. But I'm only in Chicago for another week and I don't know how to tap into the local vaping community. I'm still a noob myself and this isn't my home turf!

I did find a B&M in a western 'burb, but while they have a great selection of genuine Joyetech batts, the only APV they have in stock is the eVic. So no "manly mods" to show him.

Don't know if I could get him to sit still for a vaping video now that he's made up his mind, but Ocelot's suggestion of PBrusardo videos is something I have to give some thought to. Mike is old school northside Chicago Italian, through and through -- Phil may just be able to get through to him.

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
Cags, I wish there was a chance I could get him to some kind of community event. But I'm only in Chicago for another week and I don't know how to tap into the local vaping community. I'm still a noob myself and this isn't my home turf!...

here is a link for the IL subforum...maybe you can watch it and see if a meet comes up.

Windy City Vaping

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
OK, we got room for one more ol' Chi town yankee down here. Send that youngster (I'm 66 years young) on down and let him call me a girl!!! He'll wind up vaping from both ends... (yes, I have spare PVs).

Just funnin'. Ya tried and did good!
thumbsup.gif

peakcomm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2013
here is a link for the IL subforum...maybe you can watch it and see if a meet comes up.

Just checked ... that subforum isn't very active. Just a couple posts since January. But maybe if I post there, somebody will know a decent B&M on the northside.

IME, VaporSearchUSA is not maintained well enough to count on. Maybe they just can't keep up with how quickly the industry is growing. Been checking it regularly as I travel and I've found there are many, many good places that aren't listed. For example, one vendor has FOUR thriving locations in the Louisville/Clarksville area, as well as a nice website, and not one of them is on VaporSearchUSA! I've had better luck asking here or just searching for e-cigs on Google Maps.

BostLabs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Phoenix, AZ. USA
LOL! BostLabs, I sure wish I could introduce you to him!

I did find a B&M in a western 'burb, but while they have a great selection of genuine Joyetech batts, the only APV they have in stock is the eVic. So no "manly mods" to show him.

Don't know if I could get him to sit still for a vaping video now that he's made up his mind, but Ocelot's suggestion of PBrusardo videos is something I have to give some thought to. Mike is old school northside Chicago Italian, through and through -- Phil may just be able to get through to him.

I vape an eVic. :) I could probably drive nails with it. It would probably scratch though. :D
I'm always willing to talk via the phone. Just give me a heads up so I know to use my Marine voice. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread