Not open for further replies.

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    I had a surgeon who did my colonoscopy 5 years ago who thought smoking was better than vaping. I let him scope me, but blew off his advice otherwise. My nurse practitioner prefers the vaping. If your doctor is your PCP and is on your case about the vaping, then it's time to find another doctor. A doctor who advises against vaping is one thing, but one who promotes smoking over vaping is totally ignorant. If this doctor isn't your PCP, then just go with what your PCP says and blow her off and only follow her advice in regards to her specialty. I hope she isn't a pulmonologist.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    A doctor who advises against vaping is one thing, but one who promotes smoking over vaping is totally ignorant.
    That is exactly what I was typing when your post came up. I always joke that "Great minds think like me."
    unnamed.gif

If a doctor really cared about their patients, they would be more open and informed about healthier alternatives.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    Fake doctors??? But of course...

As to your question @Katie Mcdonald, if you want to vape... don't seek the opinion of any doctor... anywhere. And I would tell that lame doctor to stick her advice where the moon doesn't shine.

IMO, when it comes to vaping a doctors "opinion" doesn't count for beans. Unless... you have some medical condition where you shouldn't be vaping or smoking.

• Agree
    Reactions: DavidOck

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Today my doctor told me that she would rather her patients smoke cigarettes than vape…. What are your thoughts?
    So I can completely understand a medical professional who does not encourage people to vape because even though it is better as an alternative to smoking it is not better than breathing fresh air well what we call fresh air nowadays. That is reasonable medically sound advice to not pick up vaping if you're not already doing so and you're not smoking.

It is not reasonable medical advice and shows a lack of critical thinking and ability to care about better if not perfect outcomes to suggest smoking instead of vaping.

There's no evidence that has been produced that shows that smoking is cumulatively better than vaping So long as you are vaping e-juice that has been carefully manufactured and not something that's popping up on the street with cannabidiol in it.

Anyhow I don't personally want a doctor who does not believe in harm reduction. I don't want a doctor who has a way of thinking where if it's not perfect it's not worth trying. Sure it might just be symptom management rather than a cure but I would like my symptoms managed that is still better than not having my symptoms managed and still having a disease or disorder.

Last edited:

ppeeble

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 9, 2013
    Poole UK
    .. and i responded with - 'what do you base this opinion on' ?.. Would have been what i would have expected to see in the OP.
    Without evidence or reason/critical thinking then the doctors opinion holds as much weight as my neighbours opinion.
    According to research smoking will either shorten your life, make your quality of life worse or kill you. I have yet to see any research that concludes vaping has worse outcomes.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    .. and i responded with - 'what do you base this opinion on' ?.. Would have been what i would have expected to see in the OP.
    Without evidence or reason/critical thinking then the doctors opinion holds as much weight as my neighbours opinion.
    According to research smoking will either shorten your life, make your quality of life worse or kill you. I have yet to see any research that concludes vaping has worse outcomes.
    Exactly. Even under the pretense of we don't know the long long-term effects of vaping because it's only been around in abundance for a decade We do know how many people have died from smoking in that 10-year period of time. In the US alone it's about 5 million... 500,000 a year times 10 years is 5 million people. Now more people smoke then vape but enough people vape that if that statistic carried over to vaping there's zero chance that people wouldn't have noticed that people were dying from vaping in that 10 years There's zero chance that that number wouldn't have been high enough to notice. So the only thing that one can logically conclude is that vaping is not killing people in a noticeable manner and therefore could not through any stretch of the imagination be worse than smoking

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    My cardiologist wanted me to cut down on the nicotine. I told him NO, and left it at that.
    I'm a MTL vaper that uses 12mg juice, and only uses about 3ml/day.
    I feel no need to have a 2 hour conversation with an "educated" man that can do his own damn research (and should). He's the doctor, and should know about the advice that he gives.

mattiem

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    When I switched to a new doctor a few years ago one of his questions was "do you smoke?". I told him I used to but now I vape. He came back with "you know the e-liquid contains the same thing as anti-freeze, don't you?" I said yes it does but they changed the ingredients in anti-freeze to something safer. He said no more. :D

If doctors really want to do what's best for their patients they would try to educate themselves on the facts. Had he said much more I would have educated him a bit more. I find it totally unacceptable for a doctor to tell a patient smoking is better than vaping. Although I think law suits happen way too often for trivial things, someone like that should be sued for malpractice.

Katcandoo

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 4, 2013
    Georgia , USA
    I understand that it’s always best to be completely honest with your doctor. Years ago, I told a Dr that I had quit cigarettes and was vaping. She said then you’re a smoker and put it in my medical records. Since then, I tell docs that I quit smoking in 2013. They haven’t questioned me, and none of the tests and X-rays they’ve done has shown any evidence to indicate otherwise. I’ve had major surgeries, and vaping hasn’t interfered or slowed down recovery in any way.

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    When I switched to a new doctor a few years ago one of his questions was "do you smoke?". I told him I used to but now I vape. He came back with "you know the e-liquid contains the same thing as anti-freeze, don't you?" I said yes it does but they changed the ingredients in anti-freeze to something safer. He said no more. :D

If doctors really want to do what's best for their patients they would try to educate themselves on the facts. Had he said much more I would have educated him a bit more. I find it totally unacceptable for a doctor to tell a patient smoking is better than vaping. Although I think law suits happen way too often for trivial things, someone like that should be sued for malpractice.

After informing him that the "antifreeze in ejuice" is an old debunked myth, I would have informed him that propylene glycol is in the inhalers that he so regularly prescribes. If you are going to knock vaping, at least do it with current, true facts. He is doing nothing but showing his ignorance about the subject and thus can't be taken seriously.

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Today my doctor told me that she would rather her patients smoke cigarettes than vape…. What are your thoughts?
    I think your doctor is uninformed, has not encountered severe disease and/or death in her family from tobacco smoking, has no knowledge of pharmaceutical grade liquid nicotine, has not encountered anyone who recovered their health by quitting cigarettes in favor of vaping. Pretty incredible to be in the dark that way, but some people prefer to stay in the dark.

It is up to you to begin to educate your doctor, but if she's an idiot (I'll reserve judgment on that) she may resist being informed.

• Agree
    Reactions: MLEJ

ppeeble

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 9, 2013
    Poole UK
    My cardiologist wanted me to cut down on the nicotine. I told him NO, and left it at that.
    I'm a MTL vaper that uses 12mg juice, and only uses about 3ml/day.
    I feel no need to have a 2 hour conversation with an "educated" man that can do his own damn research (and should). He's the doctor, and should know about the advice that he gives.

My doctor asks if I smoke (he's been asking me the same thing every year for 10 years always with the same reply of 'no'). He was pleased with my test results.
    I felt no need to tell him that i have been vaping for the last decade (12-18mg liquid at about 3-4 ml a day).
    The reality is that people who vape will often spend a lot more time researching it than any doctor ever will.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread