Do you guys wanna know the next big wicking material?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
by 2025 i expect there may be new battery tech as well.

6a00d8341c4ebd53ef0120a8b6ba6e970b-pi.jpg

Um

New bio-batteries running on sugar may replace lithium-ion batteries | NDTV Gadgets

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
lol, ok, someone explain where calculus comes into the thread?

lol, ok, someone explain where calculus comes into the thread?

I used calculus to solve an equation for edyle...he wanted to know how much of 1ml of water would be held in volume inside 1ml (or 1cm3*cubed) of upsalite.

Calculus comes into this thread because someone wanted to know the liquid volume capacity of 1cm3 of upsalite. If you've ever learned calculus you should know about integral calculus. If not google it, it's very useful. Or just check out this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral

I know the holding onto molecule thing, you can explain it if you'd like...

*This thread is supposed to be about future wicking and science I hope I'm not pushing anyones buttons, I love ECF and I try to keep everything I do on this site helpful, and positive. And for the most part I get the same thing in return.

-One love everybody, vape on! :toast::vapor:

Last edited:

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
You said you can't do that; unfortunately I do not know what the that is that you refer to.

I suppose you must be pulling 0.999999ml out of a hat; I am guessing the number might be 0.9
I assume the number would be greater than 0.5 for the thing to be of interest.

but 1 millionth would be silly; that would be like softer than cotton.

Whats the density of upsalite?

lol yeah I pulled it out of my integral calculus hat... If you've ever taken chemistry or calc or microbiology or physics you'd know I didn't mean upsalite is 1 millionth of a cubed centimeter, .000001 refered to the abent ml of water.

-1ml=liquid measurement, upsalite=a solid, so I converted the 1ml of liquid measurement to the equivalent in solid measurement which= 1cm3 (1 centimeter cubed). So I was just saying it was impossible to to get 1ml of upsalite, but I understood what you were trying to say...

-I know the density of upsalite (MGCO3) but I'll let you find that one on your own. (hint:look for the MSDS)

*If upsalite were 1 millionth actual upsalite it would still be very strong due to it's nano-framework, it's like how beeswax isn't strong by itself but when arranged in a network of octagons it's much stronger.

-Anything else you'd like to challenge me on? (I'm not sure why your getting worked up over this anyway, it's just thread about a cool material that could be an excellent wick, I'd like it to stay positive in here.) :2cool::vapor:

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
1: I don't know why you mention vaporisation.

2: The melting point I find on wiki for magnesium carbonate is 500C. That tells me there's a problem if you try to dry burn your coil with magnesium carbonate as the wick. Red Hot is 1000C. I dry burn my coils at 3 watts and they get Red Hot.

I am just about given up finding a density reference for this upsalite material; surely if you touched it, you have some idea of the density? I mean you think it's a density like chalk? or more like cotton?

I was saying that the 500C is it's temperature it starts decomposing at, and I was explaining (in case you didn't understand) that decomposition isn't total destruction of a good wick, that's just when atoms start to "fall off".

And if you take another gander at the boiling point on wikipedia (which is actually 540 btw) next to it is "decomp." which means wiki didn't have a table for the decomposition (which is different than melting point, and boiling point is a different temperature all-together) take a look at a real scientific MSDS for MgCO3 and it will say it's decomposition temperature is 540C.

As for 1000C I think you pulled that out of a hat, nobody vapes a 1000C coil. Maybe your thinking of when kanthal oxidizes (when you torch you coils before using them, without the wick I might mention)

-It's really easy to find MgCO3's density if you know where to look :thumb:

anything else?:vapor:

zanedog

Moved On
Jan 28, 2014
Alberta
Bring string theory in to make the post more interesting lol!

Interesting point you might have a handle on, what is the vaporization temperature of a 50/50 PG/VG mix?

I liked your explanation of where calculus came into play, it held up well! respect!

I would expect that 1 cubic centimeter of volume would be hard pressed to hold more than i milliliter of water, would it not?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
lol yeah I pulled it out of my integral calculus hat... If you've ever taken chemistry or calc or microbiology or physics you'd know I didn't mean upsalite is 1 millionth of a cubed centimeter, .000001 refered to the abent ml of water.

-1ml=liquid measurement, upsalite=a solid, so I converted the 1ml of liquid measurement to the equivalent in solid measurement which= 1cm3 (1 centimeter cubed). So I was just saying it was impossible to to get 1ml of upsalite, but I understood what you were trying to say...

-I know the density of upsalite (MGCO3) but I'll let you find that one on your own. (hint:look for the MSDS)

*If upsalite were 1 millionth actual upsalite it would still be very strong due to it's nano-framework, it's like how beeswax isn't strong by itself but when arranged in a network of octagons it's much stronger.

-Anything else you'd like to challenge me on? (I'm not sure why your getting worked up over this anyway, it's just thread about a cool material that could be an excellent wick, I'd like it to stay positive in here.) :2cool::vapor:

- ok true, milliliter is usually used for liquid measurement; I meant it interchangeable to mean cm3

- I am certainly curious as to the density of the material which is the topic of this thread;
somewhat interesting if you say you know the density of upsalite but won't say what it is. I'll take that to mean there's no point asking.
For magnesium carbonate I get:
Magnesium carbonate
Magnesium carbonate, MgCO3, is an inorganic salt that is a white solid. Several hydrated and basic forms of magnesium carbonate also exist as minerals. Wikipedia
Formula: MgCO3
Molar mass: 84.3139 g/mol
Density: 2.96 g/cm³
Melting point: 540 °C
I still don't know what the density of upsalite is. Upsalite not being normal magnesium cabonate, but a particular structured form of the substance.

- No offence or challenge intended; I merely asked a question to attempt to make clearer in my mind what this upsalite stuff is.

Reading whatever else I could find on google just convinces me this is more or a marketting hype than anything else.
Apparently other people have asked what the density of this stuff is, and there's not straight answer.

zanedog

Moved On
Jan 28, 2014
Alberta
Yeah, Upsalite is vaporware, thats why there is no straight answer on it's density. Pop Rocks are hard to get a handle on as far as density is concerned. Obscure scientific so called journal that isn't peer reviewed and a professor that wets his pants every time he reads something new lol

I'll hold out for carbon nanotubes with a buckyball on top

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Bring string theory in to make the post more interesting lol!

Interesting point you might have a handle on, what is the vaporization temperature of a 50/50 PG/VG mix?

I liked your explanation of where calculus came into play, it held up well! respect!

I would expect that 1 cubic centimeter of volume would be hard pressed to hold more than i milliliter of water, would it not?

No sir they are one in the same, it's actually how we defined the gram too. 1cm3=1ml (It's like when the doc gives you 10cc's in an IV it actually means 10ml too, it's just because you usually can't measure ml's in a flexible IV bag)

Here's a better explanation for ya: about 3 lines down
Cubic centimetre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
- ok true, milliliter is usually used for liquid measurement; I meant it interchangeable to mean cm3

- I am certainly curious as to the density of the material which is the topic of this thread;
somewhat interesting if you say you know the density of upsalite but won't say what it is. I'll take that to mean there's no point asking.
For magnesium carbonate I get:

I still don't know what the density of upsalite is. Upsalite not being normal magnesium cabonate, but a particular structured form of the substance.

- No offence or challenge intended; I merely asked a question to attempt to make clearer in my mind what this upsalite stuff is.

Reading whatever else I could find on google just convinces me this is more or a marketting hype than anything else.
Apparently other people have asked what the density of this stuff is, and there's not straight answer.

No I'm not avoiding the question lmao, it's right there just hard to imagine. Density of MgCO3= 2.96 g/cm³ (you have the correct MgCO3)
That means if you have a cubic centimeter of MgCO3 it will weigh 2.96 grams, so if it were cut into the size of a sugar cube it would weight that much. To give you an idea of how tough it is, the density of aluminum is 2.7 g/cm3.

So imagine something a little tougher yet more brittle than aluminum, with sponge-like holes so small you can't see them. If you were to squeeze it as hard as you can it would most likely cave in like a sponge, but crumble into dust wherever it caved in. It's alot like soft coral if you've ever handled that, you can play catch with it and drop it on the ground, but try and crush it and it compacts/crumbles.

So fairly light relative to other metals just like aluminum, and a little stronger than aluminum. However it's weakened by the nano-pore network going through it.

*The upsalite does feel kinda light for it's size, however that doesn't mean anything because it's usually the structure as i've said that makes it strong. For example graphene you can make a square meter sheet that can support a cat (like a hammock), yet weighs less than a cat's whisker, all due to it's molecular structure and scaffolding.
P.S. That m2 would weigh 0.77 milligrams.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
No I'm not avoiding the question lmao, it's right there just hard to imagine. Density of MgCO3= 2.96 g/cm³ (you have the correct MgCO3)
That means if you have a cubic centimeter of MgCO3 it will weigh 2.96 grams, so if it were cut into the size of a sugar cube it would weight that much. To give you an idea of how tough it is, the density of aluminum is 2.7 g/cm3.

So imagine something a little tougher yet more brittle than aluminum, with sponge-like holes so small you can't see them. If you were to squeeze it as hard as you can it would most likely cave in like a sponge, but crumble into dust wherever it caved in. It's alot like soft coral if you've ever handled that, you can play catch with it and drop it on the ground, but try and crush it and it compacts/crumbles.

So fairly light relative to other metals just like aluminum, and a little stronger than aluminum. However it's weakened by the nano-pore network going through it.

Yeah, the density of mgco3 is 3 g/cm3.
I still notice you are not stating that the density of upsalite is 3 g/cm3.

So anyway based on that figure: 3 g/cm3: the most that 3 gram of mgco3 can absorb is 1 milliliter of water.
Now for comparison, 3 gram of cotton can absorb a whole lot more than 3 milliliters of water; like 10 to 20 grams.

*hands out to the side questioningly*

I'm just not getting what is supposed to be the big deal about upsalite ?

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Yeah, the density of mgco3 is 3 g/cm3.
I still notice you are not stating that the density of upsalite is 3 g/cm3.

So anyway based on that figure: 3 g/cm3: the most that 3 gram of mgco3 can absorb is 1 milliliter of water.
Now for comparison, 3 gram of cotton can absorb a whole lot more than 3 milliliters of water; like 10 to 20 grams.

*hands out to the side questioningly*

I'm just not getting what is supposed to be the big deal about upsalite ?
:?::facepalm:

Upsalite doesn't have a density.............I didn't realize that's what you were asking because it just didn't make sense sorry. Density=mass/volume of a certain material, upsalite is MgCO3 porified upsalite in other words=the way Magnesium Carbonate is arranged. ITS NOT POSSIBLE TO GIVE YOU AN ANSWER TO THAT BECAUSE IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE, you can only calculate density for a certain material in it's solid form (example in this case MgCO3, you can't give a density for MgCO3 with holes in it, not all the holes are the same size, and you'd have to know the exact space in each cm3 of upsalite which would probably differ between another cm3 of upsalite, if you give me an exact area of the nano-pores within a certain MgCO3 cube maybe we could get somewhere, but that's ALOT of math, does that clear it up?) 3 grams of cotton would be a large ziploc bags worth of cotton, it would probably hole an entire eliquid bottle, but that's not the point. Pound for pound upsalite kicks cottons behind, even though I love cotton it aint got sheeeyit on cotton.

I have a feeling you still won't understand, you basically just asked "Which is heavier a pound of bricks, or a pound of feathers?"
*Throws hands up in utter disbelief*

-You know what? :facepalm: I give up, some people just won't see a thing for what it is, they will believe whatever they want to believe.

:lol: lolololololololololololololololololololololololololol

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013

Upsalite doesn't have a density.............I didn't realize that's what you were asking because it just didn't make sense sorry. Density=mass/volume of a certain material, upsalite is MgCO3 porified upsalite in other words=the way Magnesium Carbonate is arranged. ITS NOT POSSIBLE TO GIVE YOU AN ANSWER TO THAT BECAUSE IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE, you can only calculate density for a certain material in it's solid form (example in this case MgCO3, you can't give a density for MgCO3 with holes in it, not all the holes are the same size, and you'd have to know the exact space in each cm3 of upsalite which would probably differ between another cm3 of upsalite, if you give me an exact area of the nano-pores within a certain MgCO3 cube maybe we could get somewhere, but that's ALOT of math, does that clear it up?) 3 grams of cotton would be a large ziploc bags worth of cotton, it would probably hole an entire eliquid bottle, but that's not the point. Pound for pound upsalite kicks cottons behind, even though I love cotton it aint got sheeeyit on cotton.

I have a feeling you still won't understand, you basically just asked "Which is heavier a pound of bricks, or a pound of feathers?"

-You know what? :facepalm: I give up, some people just won't see a thing for what it is, they will believe whatever they want to believe.

First of all, thank you for providing an attempt to answer by saying that Upsalite does not have a density.

Of course upsalite has a density, even if it can be varied. First of all surely you will agree that 3 grams of upsalite will not fit in 1 cm3.
The density of upsalite has to be less than 3g/cms.
I would think it is less than the density of water too, which would mean less than 1 gm/cm3, but I don't know that's what I am asking.
Is it more like 0.1 gm/cm3 ? That would be more like sponge.
That's what I want to understand, is it like a sugar cube, a piece of chalk, or is it more like sponge or cotton in density but rigid.

You just don't happen to have a figure, and can't seem to estimate it.

You even point out that 3 grams of cotton would be a large ziploc bag!! That's density right there.
How much ziploc bags would be 3 grams of upsalite.

Mitey F

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan, yearning for home

Everything has a density. The density may vary piece to piece, but it has a density. So you could in theory give a *range* of densities, but you cannot say "it doesn't have a density". If it "had no density" it would not exist. Air has density. Dark matter has density. It can *change*, which means it may not be an absolute value (such as air's density changes with pressure), but it DOES have a density.

I think we're *trying* to say the same thing here, but please don't say "it doesn't have density", as that is IMPOSSIBLE.

Bosco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
San Antonio
Sounds scary to me. If upsalite is so ridiculously, crazy absorbent . . who's to say it wouldn't just suck all the water out of your body as soon as you put your lips on the drip tip? You'd be instantly turned into a human raisin.

What if you had a little bit in your pocket and walked near a lake? It sounds too dangerous.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Actually - I did some google-ing and it seems that upsalite may not be that new, after all. I believe this product is made with upsalite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7PIWWLIy64
LMAO XD I thought that was a genuince post for a sec lol, upsalite isn't brand new or anything I think it's been around since july 2013. And we've had silica gel for AGES, which isn't that much less amazing than upsalite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread