Did my research, please double check my findings. (Long read)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc0716

May 30, 2013
So Cal
(Long read..I am not blindly asking questions. I did research and wanted to double check my findings.)

Hey folks. I was reading and watching stuff on the net for a few days now.
I am using ego twist at the moment but I seriously want to get into the world of rba. (probably kayfun clone of some sort).

Please correct me on any of the "findings" below.

(I am using this http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h295/Technonut/volts-to-ohms_zpsfc47f1f7.jpg table linked from the sticky up top_

1. Mechanical mod and Sub-ohms.

Fully charged batteries usually operates at 4.2 volt. (is this true? This is what I read)
With a mechanical mod, there is no way to change the volt.

Let's assume I have a battery that can handle up to 10 amps.

With a 0.5 ohms coil and 4.2v, I will be drawing 8.4 amps, which my battery can handle. So this is safe.
With a 0.3 ohms coil and 4.2v, I will be drawing 14 amps, which my battery cannot handle. This is dangerous.

....right? Also, I am not sure how watts come into play here.
0.5ohms and 4.2v is 35.28 watts.
0.3ohms and 4.2v is 58.80 watts.

Obviously 58.80 > 35.28...but..what do I need to know about watts here?

2. VV/VW and Sub-ohms. (this one, I am not exactly sure...)

Let's say I have an EVIC.
It can range from 3v~5v / 2w~11w
Say my battery can handle 10 amps.

With a 0.5 ohms coil, if I set it to 5v, it's going to draw 10 amps, which equals to 50w.
So in this case, my battery itself can handle the 10 amps, but the EVIC will not fire because it can only go up to 11w?

With a 0.5 ohms coil again, if I set it to 3.7v, it's going to draw 7.4 amps, which equals to 27.38w
Again, even though my battery can handle 7.4 amps, EVIC will not fire because 27.38w > 11w?

Then, does this mean EVIC will not handle anything below 1.5ohms?
According to the table I linked above, 1.5ohms @ 4v is the lowest ohms I can get to, as it is 10.67 watts.

If above is all right..then the max wattage on the mod (as well as the battery's max amp) is the limiting factor on how low ohms I can go?

3. Changing both V and W on mods like EVIC and ZMAX.
In the above examples, I was only changing voltage.
What if I change the wattage instead? Would it automatically adjust the voltage to the safe level (depending on the ohms), and otherwise not fire if ohms is too low for the mod's max wattage and voltage?

What if I change both voltage and wattage at the same time?

4. So, if I don't want to go below 1.5 ohms
Taking into consideration EVIC's max 11w and ZMAX v5's max 16w....if I am not going to go below 1.5ohms, there isn't much difference between a mechanical mod and electrically regulated mods like EVIC?

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
watts are just a kind of reference and the power output. people just state wattage to let others know what their juice can handle or how their coil performs at etc. also in a vv/ vw device, its something that can be set to make things easier. lets say after some time you kind of know what your sweet spot is in terms of wattage, well in a vw device this can be set so whatever resistance coil you have in the atty, the mod will adjust the voltage to the set wattage you inputted. also in a vv/ vw device you can forgo the wattage setting for the voltage setting but what happens is you must change the voltage yourself to obtain your desired wattage. lets say you have a 1.4Ω coil on your evic and your desired wattge is 10 watts, well you must manually input the voltage to about 3.7v. now lets say you swap out the coil for another and this one is 1.7Ω, now your vaping it and it feels a little weak, its because now the wattage is less, its now only 8 watts. so you now have to manually up the voltage. anyways with a vw setting the mod adjusts the voltage for you automatically. your question about the evic and a .5 coil? no way because vv/vw devices have a low resistance cut-off. most only will fire at an average of 1.2 Ω. now with the dna -chips you can run coils as low as .5 but you have to have one of those mods. yes to your question about people not going below 1.5Ω, your almost better with a vv mod at those resistances, especially if those vv devices push out a max of 15 watts ( which most do) at 15 watts, its more then a mechanical mod which would only push about 9 watts. all mechanical mods have a voltage drop so even with a fresh battery your most likely only getting about 3.7v on average to the coil

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
also determining factors on vv/vw devices are / low resistance cut offs( these are slightly different for different devices) most are 1.2 ish, this means formost they will not fire anything below this resistance. next is max wattage( most are 15 watts, while some are about 11) next is max amperage of the coil ( most are around 3.0 to 5.0) also these mods fire between 3.0 to 6.0v on average. lets say we have a provari v-2 mod, this mod has a 3.5 amp limit and 15 watts max. it fires a coil as low as .8Ω and fires volts from 2.9 to 6v. these are the specs of the v-2. lets put in a 1.5Ω coil. we can run this coil at a max of about 4.7v, because we are within the max amps of the device. if there was no max wattage and just a max amprage of 3.5 we could run this coil at 5.2v. now in lower resistances, lets say a .8Ω coil (which the v-2 can run and is about the only vv mod that does) except the dna chips) we can run this coil at only 2.9v because its the max amps for this device although its not coming close to the max wattage of 15w. at a .8 coil at 2.9v were only pushing about 10 watts but we are maxed out at about 3.5 amps

steel bender

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Sturgeon Bay, WI, USA
One thing about battery safety. You are correct that with a .5 ohm setup in a mech with a fully charged battery at 4.2 volts, you are pulling 8.4 amps, which should be safe with a 10 amp battery. Although, a lot of people say you shouldn't pull more that 80% of the battery's limit, just to be cautious. Here's the thing though, a lot of multimeters/ohm checkers are only accurate within .2 ohms. So if you're getting a reading of .5 ohms, you could potentially be as low as .3 ohms, which would be below your battery's limit.

Best thing you can do is be extra cautious. With a 10 amp battery, I wouldn't suggest going below .8 ohms. If you're using a regulated device however, you probably can't go below 1.2, anyways. In a mech, you might as well get one of the best batteries out there, like the sony vtc4, which is supposed to handle 30 amps.

JuicerJ

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2013
Baltimore
You have done pretty good with your research. You are well on your way to understanding how you get your power. Keep researching, you can never be too informed. In a vv/vw you have a chip that regulates your power and kind of protects you from damaging your atties. VV mods will have a number of different protections. Short circuit - reverse polarity- accidental firing ( usually will .... down after 10 secs. Or 16 secs. But a mech. Has none of that. So it's just your mod , coil, and battery. So as it looks like you know. Your power comes from the ohms of your coil and the power of your battery, without any protection i.e. It could fire by mistake and keep firing frying your coil, wick ... Just wanted to touch on what you already said

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread