• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Did anybody order a Prodigy yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicfits

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Texas
www.e-smokers-forum.com
Well, I spent more money tonight. Dang, I need to stay off those supplier forums. :D
I ordered an 801 kit plus a 901 adaptor and a couple of 18650 batteries.
This way I will have the option of running 3.7 volts or 6 volts. I like the idea of being able to easily swap out adaptors for different attys, but all I really want is an adaptor for my 510s. Hopefully that will come in the near future.
I didn't even ask my wife is she wanted one, she has stated before about my battery mods, she is not sticking a flashlight in her mouth. LOL.

I wonder what Puresmoker's atty will be like, or if it ever does become a reality.

franklyspeaking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2009
Arlington, Texas
www.pharceapp.com
I thought about it but I decided to order some ecigars atomizers from ruyandirect.com instead. The versitility of battery configurations is interesting and intriguing although I think 6 & 7 volts is way overkill. Offering a 510 adapter might sway me in the end though. Let us know how you like it.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
Well, I spent more money tonight. Dang, I need to stay off those supplier forums. :D
I ordered an 801 kit plus a 901 adaptor and a couple of 18650 batteries.
This way I will have the option of running 3.7 volts or 6 volts. I like the idea of being able to easily swap out adaptors for different attys, but all I really want is an adaptor for my 510s. Hopefully that will come in the near future.
I didn't even ask my wife is she wanted one, she has stated before about my battery mods, she is not sticking a flashlight in her mouth. LOL.

I wonder what Puresmoker's atty will be like, or if it ever does become a reality.

I was sort of disappointed that items on their site were cut to almost nothing. I know it has to do with the Customs issue. I just hope this thing will be resolved soon, so I can start getting the standard supplies.

J W in Texas

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2009
Arlington, TX
I was sort of disappointed that items on their site were cut to almost nothing. I know it has to do with the Customs issue. I just hope this thing will be resolved soon, so I can start getting the standard supplies.

Same here...I thought, where's all the other stuff? I'll probably get one eventually but not going for pre-orders anymore. Still think I'll order a couple of Janty Sticks first.
I'll second waiting for 510 adapters too. They're just that good, IMO.

Nicfits

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Texas
www.e-smokers-forum.com
Yeppers, Steve has stated that he has had two large orders confiscated in customs, and that he is not going to be risking any more money on imports.
Yes it is just a battery mod at the moment, though it is being mass produced. 1,000 units on first run. He also says that a new American made atomizer is in the works. His prodigy comes with 2-3 volt CR123s 6 volts on an 801 atty. 3.7 volt 18650 on an 901. To get 7.4 volts you would have to buy 2 3.7 volt CR123s on your own.
Many battery mods already run 6 volts on 901 attys. Look at a Magnum with two CR2s at 3 volts each. I think the GG does too, not sure. At least Steve's prices are less than the SD or GG, though not much, and offers greater versatility. I actually thought about ordering a SD and then a GG, but neither are being massed produced. Only a handful at a time, and none were available to order at the time of my whims.
As far as 6 volts being too much? I run a staight USB Passthrough at 5 volts on a 901 and it works far better and the atty has lasts longer without the need for cleaning than it does on a stock battery.
But the 901 Prodigy kit will come with a 3.7 volt 18650. I foresee no problem with applying 6 volts on a 4 hole 801 atty. I have a bunch of them and they seem to run too cold at 3.7 volts, and don't vape well. It will be interesting to see how they perform on 6 volts.
I will be ordering a 510 adaptor as soon as it becomes available.

franklyspeaking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2009
Arlington, Texas
www.pharceapp.com
Same here...I thought, where's all the other stuff? I'll probably get one eventually but not going for pre-orders anymore. Still think I'll order a couple of Janty Sticks first.
I'll second waiting for 510 adapters too. They're just that good, IMO.

JW - The Stick vapes like a freight train PM me if you are interested in trying it out. You are right down the road from me so it would be real rude not to offer to let you try it out.

As far as 6 volts being too much? I run a staight USB Passthrough at 5 volts on a 901 and it works far better and the atty has lasts longer without the need for cleaning than it does on a stock battery.

I don't have an issue on a passthrough either but the 6 volts on my magnum mod tears my throat up.

BTW - There are screwdrivers available as of yesterday. I can highly recommend them. Nice vapor, good battery life and nice form-factor. It might be made from a flashlight but a lot of thought went into finding the right donor...

Nicfits

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Texas
www.e-smokers-forum.com
Franklyspeaking, are you using a 901 or a 801 atty on your magnum? I am using a 901 on mine with 6 volts and have no throat problems. I only hit it about 3 seconds at a time. I am also vaping zero nic which could be the difference. Even still my 510s outperform.

Man, I am LMAO!!! It seems the battery charger that
Steve Cash is selling with his Prodigy kits that is supposed charge CR123s and 18650s only charges 3.7 volt CR123s, not the 3.0 volt ones.
At batteryjunction.com it clearly states not to attempt to charge these 3.0 volts on that charger and to only use the specific charger designed for the 750Mah 3.0 volt RCR123.
WOW! a lot of thought really went into this product. :lol:

It took only a minute for one to find this out. Now he will have to offer or supply two different battery chargers. I am one to bet he does not offer to supply the two chargers for those of us who ordered one kit but also an adaptor and different batteries. It will be up to us, to spend more money to buy the correct charger. In my case I ordered the 801 kit, which is supposed to come with 4 RCR123 3.0 volt batteries and a charger and a platinum 801 4 hole atomizer. If it comes with the charger he is showing, I cannot use it with the supplied batteries, But will be able to use it with the 3.7 volt 18650s. If it comes with the correct charger that he is currently not selling, I will have to buy a different charger for the 18650s.
A lot of people have posted on his forum about this concern, and apparently have PM'd him about it, but from I can tell, he has not replied, on his forum anyway.

I don't understand why so many people are such Puresmoker groupies.:confused:

My experience with him has not been that great. It has always taken him a long time to get my order out. last time they waited over a week to ship my order.
I only ordered this Prodigy thing as a whim. I really don't need it, or am in no hurry for it. I will buy what I need to make it work properly, elsewhere when I do get it.
I just think this whole fiasco is really funny. I bet Trog and Imeo are laughing like crazy right now.
I do however feel bad for those who are upset right now and concerned about this battery issue. Some may be not so financially secure.
I think I am going to just hang out down here for awhile and stay away from all the chaos up above.

I may go lurking though.
:evil:

Nicfits

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Texas
www.e-smokers-forum.com
I'm using a 901. I take 3 to 5 second drags on it. I vape 12mg - 16mg juice mostly. I can handle it for about two hours and then it just feels really harsh. I used to smoke filterless cigarettes, pipes, cigars, etc... and have never felt that harsh a hit.

I will probably just use the 18650s in the prodigy and wait till I can get a 510 adaptor for it. This is what I really want, longer battery life for my 510. I have a couple of 510 passthroughs on pre-order, still waiting on them to ship from China. Hopefully they will be on the plane tonight. I have the tracking number.
They have an inline battery which means I could just put the battery end of the cable in my pocket and go about that way, wired. From what I understand the battery inline is the same battery that is used in the BadaBing E-cigars, and they charge via USB. HMMM!

I have been thinking about those 3 volt CR123s and the charger dilemma.
I admit, I don't know enough about these Li-Ions. But I can charge my cell phone off of a 5 volt USB, and its battery is 3.7 volts. Maybe the cell phone has a built in voltage regulator of some sort. Also not sure, but I would think that since these batteries are PCB protected, this would solve the problem with accidental overcharge. I need to do some research on this. Everyone is going by the statements that are made on the batteryjunction website. Who knows, they may just be trying to sell another battery charger.
Anyone around can clarify this?

franklyspeaking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2009
Arlington, Texas
www.pharceapp.com
The 18650 batteries the Cash is selling are PCB protected and that does protect against overcharging them. The CR123s on the other hand don't appear to be protected. Neither are the batteries that I use in my Screwdriver or Magnum Mod and I haven't died yet. Just don't leave them on for more than four to five hours and don't let them charge over night and you should be fine. Hope that helps.

Nicfits

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Texas
www.e-smokers-forum.com
Yes, the RCR123s LiFeP04s are PCB protected. These batteries have a completely different chemstry than conventional Lithium-Ions.
But keep in mind, these protection circuits are delicate, and can easily fail.
LiFeP04 Pros and Cons.
The pros: Longer shelf and cycle lifes.
The Cons: Smaller capacity, hense only 750 Mah.

These batteries also have a builtin voltage regulator and the battery will have an initial peak voltage charge of 3.7 volts, but the voltage regulator will step the voltage down to 3.0 to 3.2 volts within 12 milliseconds.

Because of the different chemistry make up of these LiFeP04 type batteries, and the built in voltage regulator it has been highly recommended to charge them only on a LiFeP04 battery specific charger.
It is said that using a conventional LI-Ion charger on LiFeP04s will reduce thier lifespan and could cause failure.
So this could result IMO, either the battery failing to take a charge, overcharging which could be dangerous. Or blowing out the voltage regulator and thus supplying 3.7 volts instead of 3.0. If just the latter happens, then you will find yourself feeding your atty with 7.4 volts instead of 6.0.
They do also make a 900mah RCR123 3.0 volt that is not LiFeP04, but it too states to use only the specific charger intended for this particular battery. I for one am not worried about it, as I will make certain I use the correct charger and do so in a safe manner.

My only concern is for the safety of others. Hopefully my concerns will have no merit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread