Designing a more intuitive e-cig

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandHandle

May 30, 2009
The current leading activation systems for e-cigs are simply not as error free as traditional cigs, and until a more user-friendly system can be designed, e-cig users will have to decide between a too-sensitive automatic battery and a clunky button manual battery. I prefer the manual myself, because I live in an area of constant, annoying wind. I like to drive and vape with the windows down without fear of burning out my atty, as I'm sure many of us do. The question is:

How can we build a better e-cig, without adding prohibitively large costs to the parts?

Sadly the technology is just too expensive and rare right now to do much in the way of auto-batts. I read some users suggesting that microphones with noise-cancellation be installed in the battery. I'm not sure how easy this would be to implement, but unless an active-cancellation system (battery-hungry) is used, the battery would become bulky.

I think we just need to be more clever about this. Instead of asking how to improve the current system, we may need to be asking how to achieve the same effect using other, more clever ways. What is it that people usually do when they smoke?

1. They put thier lips to the end of the cig
2. They sometimes hold the cig while inhaling
a. They use two fingers to hold the cig or
b. They bite down on the cig to hold it in place
3. They inhale
4. They use two fingers to hold the cig idly, letting the "cherry" catch up to the burning paper
5. Repeat

Next we need to ask how to use this information to design a more intuitive system.

Some people have already suggested using the biting method to activate the atomizer, and #3 is already being utilized in current auto-batts. This is preferred by some people because they don't have to deal with pressing a button, and can potentially hold the cig in the mouth while doing things with both hands (typing comes to mind). This would be perfect if the system was able to discern between inhaling and exhaling (leading to wasted equid and burned lips), or even from loud noises and wind interference. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Manual batts use #2.a as their method of activation. This method is a bit clumsy, as the button is often difficult to position between the two fingers people usually use when smoking, so there is a bit of a learning curve when figuring out how to hold it. Some suggestions? Lower the size of the button (almost flush with the battery) and make it easier to push down, make it so that two "buttons" must be activated in order to send power to the atty.

Something to possibly solve both problems would be a hybrid of the two current systems. For example, the user can hold the atty directly to the wind without activating it until sensors detect contact with the fingers or lips of the user (near the mouthpiece). Just an example of how multiple existing methods can be used to solve the problem of limited resources and budgets.

The question is: is there another way to use the habits of everyday smokers (or vapers) to design a more intuitive system? Thoughts? Comments?

Kelly79

Jul 7, 2009
Alaska
Now we need an E-lighter:p

mmmmm. can we make it look like a zippo? maybe fit in a zippo casing?...e-cigg remote anyone lol. I really do miss the 'lighting up" motion and my zippo, I have no reason to carry it anymore:(.

I know, I know the e-cig lighter works as a remote to 'power-on' the e-cig and the rest of the time it's powered down...no more having it turn on cause somethings pushing against the button, or noises activating it, or any of the other reasons they self-activate.:thumbs:

SandHandle

May 30, 2009
mmmmm. can we make it look like a zippo? maybe fit in a zippo casing?...e-cigg remote anyone lol. I really do miss the 'lighting up" motion and my zippo, I have no reason to carry it anymore:(.

I know, I know the e-cig lighter works as a remote to 'power-on' the e-cig and the rest of the time it's powered down...no more having it turn on cause somethings pushing against the button, or noises activating it, or any of the other reasons they self-activate.:thumbs:

now there's a good idea :) . why not just press a button to activate the auto-batt for a while? hmmmm..

Kelly79

Jul 7, 2009
Alaska
now there's a good idea :) . why not just press a button to activate the auto-batt for a while? hmmmm..

'cause my idea's more fun lol, besides I have a hard enough time with the button on my manual batts getting pressed accidentally, I def don't want another push button. Maybe a slide switch would be ok...still e-cig zippo...I like it lol.

SandHandle

May 30, 2009
'cause my idea's more fun lol, besides I have a hard enough time with the button on my manual batts getting pressed accidentally, I def don't want another push button. Maybe a slide switch would be ok...still e-cig zippo...I like it lol.

as do I :) The replacement cartridge is a great idea.
I'm using my ex-analogue-lighting zippo to light incense :(

Augustus

Jul 12, 2009
Austin
I think what might be a great idea would to make an auto-matic batter with a on/off switch. You push the button when you smoke and again when you put it down. It should help with the misfire and let you smoke without hands on e-cig (look me no hands). Personally I dont mind my manual and just wish we had a better method to get the liquid to the atomizers. I know its off topic but what if u had a manual that also appied a small drop or mist when pressing the button?

on3i

Verified Member
Jun 24, 2010
California
I may have a solution to this. As mentioned earlier. I am currently working on a project. (which I plan to release with full documentation and pictures and videos how to make your own, as well as sell kits at cost)

I am planning on making it pocketable, hoping to get it the size of an iPod mini (the fat version) My "feature" will be that the atomizer and cart will receed into the casing when not in use. A slide-switch will reveal it, and activate the atomizer, or if you push the switch all the way down, will inject e-juice into the atomizer. Going for the 1-button (slide) solution. Just need to find suitable ABS plastic casing...

yoyoma_mda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2010
San Diego
heres an idea, i know lots of people like the pcc idea but hate disassembling their e cig just to charge it. How about using the same technology as a powerstone (palm pre magnetic charger) to charge the e cig as well as turn off the activation switch. I miss pulling out my pack of cigs to have a smoke. Just improve upon the pcc by adding the magnetic charging feature as well as removing the slots for additional carts/attys and making space for a larger battery to charge the e cigs, make it charge two fully assembled e cigs and you got a winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread