Not open for further replies.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Couple of things to watch with 510's. Be sure the center pin sticks out, and it isn't spring loaded. A spring loaded pin could push in and give you a nice short. Also adjustable pins aren't a good idea on mechs IMO. When you screw the 510 into the mod the adjustable pin can catch on the contact and screw itself down into the neg ring if it's a little loose. That's happened to me with regulated mods.

I got some old mechs for the apocalypse. Never use them below 1.0 ohms though. I use them with KFL's where the pin is level with the neg ring. I stripped a couple of the tanks down and filed off 1/16" from the bottom of the neg ring so the pin sticks out.

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

The60WattGUY

Feb 7, 2023
@englishmick yea i heard of that a couple times now that it can be pushed back in, the dead rabbit v3 is not adjustable and is hybrid safe so ill just use that for now till im learning more ofc,
Still on a hunt for a better rda ill do some research on which ones are great for hybrids tho trust me ill be safe i dont wanna lose my face or my life

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
the Universe
the hybrid i use also has a plastic tube that helps for shorts too right?

Yes. IMO, it's a false sense of security though. As you know, nothing beats visually verifying your batteries first.

Man im loving mechs to bad they arnt as popular hopefully theyll come back one day but as of now they my fav devices, lets say a part breaks of my mech or i need new magnets i can just go to metal shop and ask to make me new part? Its that simple with mechs? They should last till i die then..

There are companies selling magnets online. Mechs are as simple as it gets.
I always have 2-3 mechs going.

Yes, our mechs will outlast us. When regulated mods electronics fail we will still be vaping our mechs.

All tho my mod is brass and copper i need to find some kind of metal polish will any metal polish be fine to clean it?
Heard ketchup works too and vinegar but id rather use proper stuff

I use Brasso metal polish on my mechs. It's safe to use on brass, copper, stainless steel, chrome, aluminum, pewter and bronze.

Ketchup will work. I prefer not to use it. You can likely find a good brass and copper cleaner at a local hardware store.

I can see you guys are mech lovers too?
We are a rare breed now haha

Given a choice between a regulated mod or a mech mod - - - I will always pick a mech mod.

We are not as rare as you might think. There are several here. Over on the VU forum there are many active posters who love and use mechs daily.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
the Universe
Anyway since i got 2 mechs now a third coming my way (my brother has an old vanilla mech for me) just needs cleaning its betined so now i need a kickass RDA haha any recommandations?

Very cool your brother is giving you a mech!!!

I prefer single coil RDA's. The single coil RDA's I mentioned earlier likely would not do well at 60-70 watts.

If you enjoy your Dead Rabbit then buy another one!!!

I only have 3 RDA and theyre not exactly top end its just Dead Rabbit V3, Geekvape Tengu,and Oumier Wasp VLS all 3 are hyrbid safe i checked but want another ofc cuz vape gear never ends lol
Was looking at armegeddon rda 25mm or recurve v2 or drop rda,maybe purge rda too not sure yet theirs a ton of options i was also mentioned a tauren rda which is in stock here too

I have an Armageddon 25mm RDA. It's excellent!!! Many folks love their Purge RDA's. I don't have any hands-on knowledge with the others you mentioned.

Edit: that vanilla mod my bro has for me apperently has noo vent holes lol and was a cheapy that even safe?
Appears to not be hyrbid but thats fine

If it makes you feel safer having vent holes then do some research, before drilling, then drill some vent holes.

I have a very old non-hybrid Surefire knurled brass King mech. It has one vent hole in the underside of the fire button (the battery contact side of the button). I would never drill any holes in it because then it's not 100% stock (resale value).

IMG_0256.JPG

I don't polish the outside of my King as I prefer a more "used brass" look on it. However the inside of the tube, threads, button and contacts I keep very shiny and clean.

Also have an authentic SMPL hybrid, it has 6 vent holes in the fire button. I just cleaned and polished it with Brasso.

full.jpg

Last edited:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
the Universe
Wit mechs u wanna put in battery last Correct or is this myth and doesnt matter?

I always attach my RBA first and then the battery. Makes for a better, more firm, connection.

So yes, it does matter, at least in my opinion and per how I was taught.

Reactions: The60WattGUY

The60WattGUY

Feb 7, 2023
I do that with all mechs. And you are very welcome!!!

If you have more questions or need additional help let me know. I'm always happy to help!!!
Yea for sure if i have anymore questions and i will lol since im pretty new at this stuff i must say it became a hobby tho ,my favorite hobby even love anything to do with vaping DIY mixing and rda building etc..

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
the Universe
For what it's worth, with my mech squonkers it doesn't matter if you install the battery first or the RDA.

A mech squonker is a completely different design versus a tube mech. With a mech squonker the battery has it's own compartment. An RDA connects to the 510 squonk assembly.

I always have two mech squonkers going. IMO it is tough to beat the vape one gets from a squonker with a bottle capacity anywhere from 6ml to 10ml.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
the Universe
That king mech is one sexy mech

Thanks!!! I've had it for a long time. Still use it regularly.

I have many mech mods. Tubes and squonkers. But I also enjoy vaping on my regulated mods. At any given time I have 7-10 setups in rotation.

If you like your hybrid mech, and if you don't mind my suggesting one???, try to find a dotMod Petri Lite 24mm hybrid mech. 24mm because you prefer larger RDA's. I have a couple of the 22mm Petri Lite's. They hit nice and hard. Very well built. Not weighty. Very nice fire button. Well designed.

I was able to find mine on-sale. I don't know, perhaps if you look around the EU you might be able to find some and maybe on-sale.

My purple Petri.

full.jpg

And my rose colored Petri.

full-1.jpg

dotMod makes excellent quality mods and RBA's. I also own a couple of their mech squonkers.

The60WattGUY

Feb 7, 2023
Thanks!!! I've had it for a long time. Still use it regularly.

I have many mech mods. Tubes and squonkers. But I also enjoy vaping on my regulated mods. At any given time I have 7-10 setups in rotation.

If you like your hybrid mech, and if you don't mind my suggesting one???, try to find a dotMod Petri Lite 24mm hybrid mech. 24mm because you prefer larger RDA's. I have a couple of the 22mm Petri Lite's. They hit nice and hard. Very well built. Not weighty. Very nice fire button. Well designed.

I was able to find mine on-sale. I don't know, perhaps if you look around the EU you might be able to find some and maybe on-sale.

My purple Petri.

View attachment 994138

And my rose colored Petri.

View attachment 994137

dotMod makes excellent quality mods and RBA's. I also own a couple of their mech squonkers.
Well i got a Noob question already lol since the app i downloaded confuses me anyway i use dual coils right in my rabbit the app i downloaded asked how many coils i say 2 but a .24 calculated to 120watts thats wrong right? It should be 60 i thought even tho its 2 coils its evenely spread and not doubled right? Either way still under my amp limit

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
the Universe
Well i got a Noob question already lol since the app i downloaded confuses me anyway i use dual coils right in my rabbit the app i downloaded asked how many coils i say 2 but a .24 calculated to 120watts thats wrong right? It should be 60 i thought even tho its 2 coils its evenely spread and not doubled right? Either way still under my amp limit

I don't use any of the apps, I much prefer Steam-Engine.

Steam-Engine shows 0.24Ω delivering 73.5W and a 17.5A draw on a 4.2V battery.

Just a total guess, but either the app you have is wonky or maybe there are additional settings to be made???

Two coils are half the resistance of a single coil. Example: if you want 0.24Ω then you would need to make two 0.48Ω coils.

This thread offers excellent explanations:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread