DC Vapefest bad, BAD behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAscooter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2014
Springfield, MO
I was there yesterday and was my first vapefest. I'm glad someone else got the same impression. The vape fog and odor was pretty thick too and could be smelled in lobby. The hotel should have used a room that wasn't so close to the lobby and front desk. Most if not all lobby seating was full of attendees with tables full of paper, trash and drinks. If I was a guest staying there and didn't vape I wouldn't have been happy.

Word will get out to the other hotels and may be harder to get a vape feast in the area next time. I work for a major hotel brand and know I wouldn't want that kind of negative publicity.

cbrite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Sadly, pigs are everywhere. Your post made me think of how much time and $$ is spent on the Mall in DC each year after the fireworks. I don't know what is wrong with people that they can't put trash in a trash container or use public bathrooms as if they were in their own home. It isn't JUST vapers, obviously, but when you are in a group of vaping supporters, seems like you could at least try to leave a good impression behind.:mad:

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
As someone who promoted public events in the past it is my strong opinion that any promotor should know full well that in the reality-based world some people can and will behave like pigs. Magical thinking that they won't will not change that fact.

It is the responsibility of the promoter to stay on top of the venue's staff to see that they provide adequate trash containers and keep public areas as well as restrooms clean. If the venue's staff won't pull their weight in keeping an event tidy then the promoter should be prepared to use their own staff or volunteers to do so.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
That's what I was thinking.

Regulators / Policy makers / City councils are going to do whatever they do and it has nothing to do with conventions, clouds, or anything else. Too many people are assuming responsibility for other people.

Bathrooms are cleaned by hotel staff. There's no need for destruction but that's not what's being discussed. The event organizers should have contacted someone at the hotel to let them know when service/things are needed.

I think as ex-smokers we're all used to being shammed for our past "dirty, filthy behavior" and that's over with.

As someone who promoted public events in the past it is my strong opinion that any promotor should know full well that in the reality-based world some people can and will behave like pigs. Magical thinking that they won't will not change that fact.

It is the responsibility of the promoter to stay on top of the venue's staff to see that they provide adequate trash containers and keep public areas as well as restrooms clean. If the venue's staff won't pull their weight in keeping an event tidy then the promoter should be prepared to use their own staff or volunteers to do so.

JaRod

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2014
Delray Beach FL
For someone who was taught basic education at home, even before attending elementary school, this is just unbelievable :(
I've seen that behavior in many other places, like stadiums, public restrooms, it happens everywhere.... unfortunately, but as a group threaten to get banned (again), we should know better and go the extra mile to at least look like we deserve a break.

TRIPDUBZ

Feb 10, 2014
Michigan
I'm glad multiple atendees replied with various perspectives of the leftovers, but I think regardless of the state of neglect, the pervasive message I get from it is this - leave somewhere in better condition that when you came. I see this a lot among the respectable ranks of the disc golf community and I think those of us who understand that we not only represent ourselves but our community are responsible for positive and constructive dissemination. However much this has been echoed among us, it couldn't be more true for vapers that how one stranger perceives you has a ripple effect to us all. Lol not trying to sound epic, just want to keep the good thing going for everyone.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread