Warped3k

ECF Live Chat Manager
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2010
North Carolina, US
Ding! that would do it. So they're going to be a bit thinner maybe.

Yea, by 1mm which I think wouldn't be too much to worry about. Just means there would be an extra .5mm of room on all sides of the battery compared to a cr123a.

quakereject

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2009
Arizona
Your other option, if safety is an issue, are the AW LiFePO4 3 Volt Lithium Rechargeable Battery

Only 500mAh but they are the LiFePo safe chemistry which doesn't require pcb circuits because they don't vent flames or explode. I have these, and will finally get around to using them sometime... I've been too satisfied with 3.7v so far.

Warped3k

ECF Live Chat Manager
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2010
North Carolina, US
Your other option, if safety is an issue, are the AW LiFePO4 3 Volt Lithium Rechargeable Battery

Only 500mAh but they are the LiFePo safe chemistry which doesn't require pcb circuits because they don't vent flames or explode. I have these, and will finally get around to using them sometime... I've been too satisfied with 3.7v so far.

Ok, so right now your using just an 18650?

To anyone that have used both the 3v and 3.6v cr123a stacked batteries, how do they compare?

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA

Ummm, could you be more specific? They may not vent flames but I am under the impression that they do vent... which may not be so good when contained inside something resembling a sealed pipe. They don't explode but I am under the impression that they can get hot enough to burn you. Lastly they have a max discharge rate of what? and the resistance/load in the circuit is going to be trying to draw in excess if what? something like 4 amps? I think I'll go with a protection circuit.

I would definitely like to hear if I'm wrong on any of my assumptions above (and they are just assumptions)

Warped3k

ECF Live Chat Manager
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2010
North Carolina, US
Ummm, could you be more specific? They may not vent flames but I am under the impression that they do vent... which may not be so good when contained inside something resembling a sealed pipe. They don't explode but I am under the impression that they can get hot enough to burn you. Lastly they have a max discharge rate of what? and the resistance/load in the circuit is going to be trying to draw in excess if what? something like 4 amps? I think I'll go with a protection circuit.

I would definitely like to hear if I'm wrong on any of my assumptions above (and they are just assumptions)

Yea, after reading and seeing pictures of what can happen with a non-protected battery, I would much rather just get a battery with the protection on it. This way, I don't have to worry as much having a battery vent on me. A little more money to have a protection circuit is worth more to me then having to worry about a battery venting on me, with who knows what kind of damage.

AmyB66

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
In A Padded Cell
Got mine from lighthouse, AW LifePO4 500mah (they don't say protected but they are very safe and I got the thumbs up from Drozd) and an ultrafire charger for 123's that has a 3volt recharge setting. The ultrafire chargers are the way to go, I have one for my 16340 and my 123, I just switch the setting and I have one for my 18650 that is for 3.7 and I can add spacers to do my 3.7 little chuck batts on.

I only bring up the chargers because I bought a cheap one in addition, a pita to remove the batts and it took so long to charge that it makes me leary. When I compared it with my ultrafire chargers there was no comparison and I threw it back in the box.

The batteries I listed are great, they last me a full day, evening before they begin to die off. I've placed a couple orders from them, always have my batts within two days.

splunge2112

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
girard pennsylvania
has anyone yet tasted a true tobacco flavored juice? every time i get close they change the flavor or discontinue it. its getting very very disheartening. my old winstons always tasted like a winston. do these people making the flavors have any idea why we were so loyal to our analogs even though we knew they were killing us. i havent ordered anything in weeks because every damn cartomizer i have tasted in weeks was like smoking an inner tube. im cold turkey now, even my favorite, the watermelon, is nasty this last batch. i have about had it

Warped3k

ECF Live Chat Manager
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2010
North Carolina, US
has anyone yet tasted a true tobacco flavored juice? every time i get close they change the flavor or discontinue it. its getting very very disheartening. my old winstons always tasted like a winston. do these people making the flavors have any idea why we were so loyal to our analogs even though we knew they were killing us. i havent ordered anything in weeks because every damn cartomizer i have tasted in weeks was like smoking an inner tube. im cold turkey now, even my favorite, the watermelon, is nasty this last batch. i have about had it

I think you might have posted in the wrong place, you will probably get more people to see your question if you post in the general or eliquid section. Anyways, I have not yet tried true tobacco flavor, but I know that tasty vapor actually takes tobacco and steeps it for about a week to get the flavor. I am very satisfied with their other flavors. Although, with their tobacco I hear that your either going to love it or hate it. You could try looking in the liquid swap to see if anyone wants to trade some...

quakereject

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2009
Arizona

The math was done by Drozd in the battery thread, and I'll add it to this post when I find it again, but the safest battery to use under chuck operating parameters were the lifepo4 ones.

Edit: Here, this put it into perspective for me.

From Drozd
so the thing about the LiMN batteries is their C rating ..the AW IMR CR123 may only be 550mAh but they have an 8C rating... so their max drain rate is <4.4A.... no atty you're going to run is going to exceed that drain rate..in the result of a short the battery is capable of putting out so much heat and discharging so quickly that what would likely happen is that it would vent a little gas and probably melt the spring causing it to break the circut..at max drain it would totally be drained in about 6 min..and that's what makes it safer chemistry..putting a PCB on these or LiFePo batteries is tottally un nessicary and is actually more draining to the battery

the AW 3V LiFePo4 is a 10C rating so also safe chemistry and nothing you're going to run on it in any configuration is going to exceed it's max drain rating either...but if you over discharge them below 2V too often their ability to take and hold a charge is comprimised...they won't pop either..just if you over drain them they become unuseable and have to be replaced..
compared to say the Tenergy LiFePo that have a max drain rate of <.55A... just about every atty in every configuration is going to exceed that...they're going to get hot and while they might not pop the duty cycle (how many times you can charge and use them) is going to take a huge hit..
the 18650 size batteries..the mAh rating is sufficent to cover the max discharge rate in just about any brand (and the C rating vary by brand (ultrafire is typically 1.5C, AW is 2C, and unless it's stated generic no labels are 1C, and the high drain AW are 10C)) ...the closer the Amp draw is to the max drain rate of the battery the more stress you put on the battery though..
Now on protection....not all protection is created equal some batteries can claim protection only by simply venting them in case of over heat where others have over heat, over pressure, over discharge, ...heres a good link that discusses and has pictures of that: The anatomy of a Protected Battery - CandlePowerForums

So, if I were buying batteries for a big chuck and a little chuck with the safest and optimal life for any atty you can run on them this is what I would buy:

Little chuck:
AW IMR16340 550 mAh IMR CR123 size LiMN Rechargeable Lithium Battery

Big chuck:
3.7V - any 18650 (i'm partial to AW myself)(make sure it has a button top..so as far as the AW batteries go thats the 2200mAh one not the 2600mAh one) or the high drain AW ones (high drain in this size is almost overkill)
6V - AW LiFePo4 (3v) AW LiFePO4 3 Volt Lithium Rechargeable Battery
7.4V again the AW high drain CR123 like for the little chuck..

Last edited:

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
No doubt better. Way better than an all out explosion but... this part gives me some pause.

in the result of a short the battery is capable of putting out so much heat and discharging so quickly that what would likely happen is that it would vent a little gas and probably melt the spring causing it to break the circut..at max drain it would totally be drained in about 6 min..and that's what makes it safer chemistry..putting a PCB on these or LiFePo batteries is tottally un nessicary and is actually more draining to the battery

I'm not sure what "vent a little gas" translates to and the effect of that in an enclosed tube. Melting the spring I do believe. But how long does it take to do that and what temperature will the outside of the tube get to? If it's enough to cause anything more than 1st degree burns then that's not so good.

Secondly, I don't like the part about ruining your battery by discharging it below 2.2v. With the protected CR2s I'm using I just vape until it quits. Good vapor goes directly to no vapor and indicates one of two things. Either my batteries disconnected and need recharged or my atomizer burnt out. If it's been roughly 4 hours it's almost always my batteries :). 2.2 x 2 == most of 5v which is still going to produce ok vapor? Now I have to be careful about that and it's one more thing to pay attention to. Are my batteries getting too low or is it just my cart needs refilled, lousy cartomizer, need to drip more...

And lastly, LiFePo just isn't dense enough. I want the high capacity of Li-Ion. I'm hoping we can get someone like AW to make us a protected, voltage regulated (3.2v), Li-Ion RCR123a.

(Ok, the last 2 points didn't have much to do with safety.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread