Confusing Allergy Problem - desperate not to have to give up vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

aburgUK

Apr 5, 2014
Somerset UK
Hi Everyone,

I'm having some real problems with quite strong allergic reactions. Sorry if this post gets a little long but here is the story so far...

Gave up stinkies at the end of December last year and used various NRT (gum spray etc) for a few weeks but found them to be problematic. Started buying e-gig/lookalikes from local store but didn't like them much so decided to look at some more serious equipment. Moved on to I-taste with clearos and then a Provari with various tanks and got really hooked:) From the word go found e-liquid quite hard work, feeling pretty foggy and spaced out but still enjoyed it and thought I'd get used to it. Was doing pretty good for the first month until a couple of weeks ago when I started having some bad allergic reactions.

I went for the obvious route reading all the threads on this site and started thinking PG allergy so I bought some stuff and started experimenting with different mixes (all PG, all VG, 0 nic etc). Unfortunately the result of this has not been conclusive although I think I do have a problem with PG and also maybe sucralose. The thing is that even if I eliminate both of these I'm still having some reactions but maybe a bit different. I'm currently vaping a 100% VG juice at 12mg with alcohol based flavouring but I'm still feeling quite hot and itchy at times.

In fairness though during this time I'm still in the experimental stage so during the last two days I have been trying mixes that have contained very high PG to about 10% VG so maybe I'm just very sensitive to anything.

My biggest worry is that I'm allergic to everything to some degree and in particular maybe even nicotine itself :( because I don't feel totally comfortable with any mix. ATM the 100% vg WITH 12mg nic seems reasonable but it can still make me feel a bit hot around the face and itchy all over at times.

I'm currently six weeks into vaping, have no interest in cigarettes and think it's a great hobby/replacement for cigarettes. Has anyone else been through this and figured it out? I really don't want to go back to stinkies, I love my Provari!

Please help!

Alan

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
I would try unflavored, in 100% PG, and then 100% VG. Try them one at a time. If PG or VG is not the issue, then it's the flavoring. Stick with simple flavors at first, such as cherry or vanilla. By the way, Benadryl with help with those symptoms (or whatever antihistamine is available in the UK).

I had some similar issues when I started vaping. Turns out I was sensitive to VG. I can handle small amounts, but too much clogs my ears and creates congestion. I'm also allergic to some of the flavoring. I just stay away from those flavors. Now, I either DIY or buy juice from one vendor where I am either familiar with the flavors, or can ask if something is in it.

aburgUK

Apr 5, 2014
Somerset UK
Hi to you both,

Just got some Benadryl today so will give that a go. Tried pure PG and got instant hives! Pure VG nothing much. Added some nic to the VG (around 10mg) and started itching again (a little) but don't feel so foggy headed with VG. The weird thing sometimes is that when I vape quite hard it all seems to settle down? susieq60002 I've reached the same conclusion as you which is to keep it simple with the flavours for the moment. daleron when I say hot I mean that my face feels quite hot/flushed.

Thank you both so much for your quick response!

aburgUK

Apr 5, 2014
Somerset UK
Yes, I understood that, just never seen that particular problem before; certainly doesn't mean it hasn't happened to anyone.
Perhaps your Nic is in a PG base?

No nic is 72mg in a Kosher VG base. Strange thing is that I was vaping 80/20 PG/VG for the first 4 weeks and now it seems that 10% PG is a no-no. Perhaps I've tried so many different things that I've become paranoidly over sensitive!

Last edited:

daleron

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Apr 16, 2013
    Arkansas, USA
    No nic is 72mg in a Kosher VG base. Strange thing is that I was vaping 80/20 PG/VG for the first 4 weeks and now it seems that 10% PG is a no-no. Perhaps I've tried so many different things that I've become paranoidly over sensitive!

Okay, well you are at a point where potential problems start to show up so I'm going to leave you a link where you can get some help maybe. These are some great friendly folks who have been through just about everything you can think of :)

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/pay-forward-pif/519384-still-smoking-support-chat-thread.html

bambam1

Jan 18, 2012
    Georgia
    I have been vaping for almost a year. Always ordering my eliquid through the same two places as well. One night about 2 weeks ago, I noticed that my bottom lip was swollen on the left side. When I woke up the next morning, my face was completely swollen, my lips being the worst. I ended up at the Dr. for a steroid shot and also ended up having to get an Epi Pen injection as well. I only had three things the night before and we originally thought it was shrimp. But that is not the case. I called around to different smoke shops and looked up some things on the internet and I believe that I am allergic to PG. It was the only thing I was still using and continued having hives around my neck and upper body and back and even some on my legs.

I decided to try going though my stores (smokeless image and Mt. Baker Vapor) and order the same stuff I usually get, Butterscotch, but this time I ordered it with "Max VG" there is also an option to get 70% VG and 30% water but I don't know what that would taste like or do to my cartridges. But that will be my next step if the "Max VG" doesn't work. I have been trying to find some VG only liquids but most of them are located outside the U.S. and I really don't want to wait more than 2 days for my products. Plus Mt. Vapor Baker is very reasonable and you can get extra shots to add flavor.

You can take 150 mg's of Zantac as a beta blocker to help with allergies. Or you can take Benedryl. The Zantac really helps. Since I have had the allergic reaction, I also have terrible chest pains, kinda like heartburn. It is painful and annoying so I understand your frustration. You might consider trying a VG only based liquid. From what I understand, you can develop a PG allergy at anytime. Once you build it up in your system, it can start having adverse affects.

If anyone knows anything about allergies to PG or has any links to US websites that have VG only, please post for me. It really sucks trying to figure out exactly what is causing the reaction, but I am certain it's the liquid. I won't give up my e cig. It just can't happen, I enjoy it too much!

aburgUK

Apr 5, 2014
    Somerset UK
    It sounds like you are trying to isolate the issue, but are bouncing from each end of the spectrum a bit too fast. Doing so you aren't really able to eliminate or pinpoint the problem. Good luck!!!

Yes you're absolutely right. I'm pretty sure that PG is a big problem so I've mixed some 100% VG at 0mg, 6mg and 12mg with no other ingredients and I'm going to try those for a few days first. I think that going back to basics is the best way forward, I'll keep this thread updated as to what I discover. Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:

aburgUK

Apr 5, 2014
    Somerset UK
    I have been vaping for almost a year. Always ordering my eliquid through the same two places as well. One night about 2 weeks ago, I noticed that my bottom lip was swollen on the left side. When I woke up the next morning, my face was completely swollen, my lips being the worst. I ended up at the Dr. for a steroid shot and also ended up having to get an Epi Pen injection as well. I only had three things the night before and we originally thought it was shrimp. But that is not the case. I called around to different smoke shops and looked up some things on the internet and I believe that I am allergic to PG. It was the only thing I was still using and continued having hives around my neck and upper body and back and even some on my legs.

I decided to try going though my stores (smokeless image and Mt. Baker Vapor) and order the same stuff I usually get, Butterscotch, but this time I ordered it with "Max VG" there is also an option to get 70% VG and 30% water but I don't know what that would taste like or do to my cartridges. But that will be my next step if the "Max VG" doesn't work. I have been trying to find some VG only liquids but most of them are located outside the U.S. and I really don't want to wait more than 2 days for my products. Plus Mt. Vapor Baker is very reasonable and you can get extra shots to add flavor.

You can take 150 mg's of Zantac as a beta blocker to help with allergies. Or you can take Benedryl. The Zantac really helps. Since I have had the allergic reaction, I also have terrible chest pains, kinda like heartburn. It is painful and annoying so I understand your frustration. You might consider trying a VG only based liquid. From what I understand, you can develop a PG allergy at anytime. Once you build it up in your system, it can start having adverse affects.

If anyone knows anything about allergies to PG or has any links to US websites that have VG only, please post for me. It really sucks trying to figure out exactly what is causing the reaction, but I am certain it's the liquid. I won't give up my e cig. It just can't happen, I enjoy it too much!

Have you tried VapingZone dot com (sorry can't post links yet). They provide the PG free flavors that my supplier in the UK uses and they seem to have a good range of 100% VG ready made juices.

Last edited:

Cloud Junky

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 6, 2014
    Texas, USA
    Alan,
    You do not have to give up vaping as that will cause you to veer back to smoking. You will need to try several things such as unflavored VG, unflavored PG, and figure out which is causing the allergy. You may have and allergy to one of the elements in your juice. They are made up of several things. Watch "Rip Trippers Side Effects" YouTube video it helped me understand the elements, I hope this helps.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread