Coil Gunk (genesis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeybrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Ft. Gibson
Seems like no matter how evenly I get the coils to glow, the top 2ish coils always gunk up faster than the rest. Is this because there is more vapor going up through them because of the air pattern? Or is it because they aren't as directly cooled by the air hole?(I have a DID) Perhaps they get dry faster so they gunk up quicker?

Just an interesting observation to me and was wondering if it was the norm.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I don't believe it's necessarily the fault of the build. I'm more inclined to believe it has to do with the air flow across the coil; and the juice being vaped. I have a DIY peanut butter/chocolate concoction that, although delicious, is brutal on coils. When I used to use it in CE2s and Vivi Novas, I had to dry burn and brush the gunk off with every refill. I currently have a DID filled with it, and have probably vaped 20-30 ml through it. Every couple fills, I dry burn and brush off the coil with a Dentek brush. The coil is fine, no hot spots, no loose coils. But the gunk always is heaviest toward the top coil wraps.

MoarVapour

Verified Member
Feb 7, 2013
United States
I used to get a lot of buildup on the top and even on the bottom, rather than evenly distributed. As I've gotten better coiling, I've noticed better results. Can't isolate what's working, but I try to make sure the wrap spacing and tightness is evenly distributed and line up my wraps with the air hole hitting the center of the first wrap as much as possible.

Last edited:

jasl90

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
It's a hot spot... Some hot spots are are worse than others but it's a hot spot none the less. I had the same issue with a coil I made a few days ago. The top two(ish) coils were getting black and gunky and the bottom two(ish) coils were much cleaner and still silver.

Firing the atty, everything looked fine. The hot spot wasn't bad enough to glow the problem area while there was juice in the tank but it was causing the Provari to "E1" & "E2" at voltages well below what the measured resistance would suggest.

One new coil later, all wraps are glowing evenly and darkening/gunking evenly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread