Top coil glowing on wet wick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narkotiq

May 5, 2013
Shawnee, Oklahoma, USA
I think I've developed a top coil hotspot. 1.5ohm 4/5 wrap of 30g kanthal on a SS mesh in an AGA-T2. Running it on my ProVari at 3.8v. I noticed the burnt taste and stopped vaping, took the top cap off, and now I'm seeing that after burning for a bit, the top coil begins to glow.

I've been nudging the lower coils around to get them going, think they might be cold and I've got a hotspot on the top coil. Could it be that the top of the wick is just drying out and causing the top most coil to be dry burning?

My coil is gunked up a bit, but I don't know how I'd go about cleaning that crud off without messing it up.

Should I just do another coil? This one is about a day old. Maybe the wick is a bit too tightly rolled? It's damn near solid, with an angled cut inside the tank. Perhaps I need to flay it, as it's just not wicking juice fast enough?

Narkotiq

May 5, 2013
Shawnee, Oklahoma, USA
I turned it on it's side, and burned the wick dry, and got the whole coil glowing, but when I resaturate the wick, the problem comes up agian. I'm guessing it's most likely burning the top of the wick dry. The tank is low on juice at the moment, hence I can put it on it's side with the wick at the top of the tank and burn it dry. All the coils glow nice and even though.

Narkotiq

May 5, 2013
Shawnee, Oklahoma, USA
Yeah, I leave it out. Never seems to leak without it. If it's not juicing properly I guess I need to flay the bottom of the wick. As far as I know I can't dismantle the tank without removing the nuts on the center post, which I'm trying to avoid doing. Although if it's going to need a new wick or coil, I'll have to anyway.

I don't think I can do a hybrid wick in this, the AGA-T2 has a smallish wick hole and the silica wick I have is pretty fat. The thinner wick that came with my IGO-L isn't long enough after I trim the frayed ends.

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA
I turned it on it's side, and burned the wick dry, and got the whole coil glowing, but when I resaturate the wick, the problem comes up agian. I'm guessing it's most likely burning the top of the wick dry. The tank is low on juice at the moment, hence I can put it on it's side with the wick at the top of the tank and burn it dry. All the coils glow nice and even though.

This pretty much rules out hotspots, so it seems to be a wicking issue. What juice ratio do you use? High VG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread