Cloud-Chasers are Evil People

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
My opinion about cloud chasing somewhat changed. I believe that if it is done safely, and as long as you don't vape where you are not suppose to (another touchy subject), there is really no problem with it.

An argument, that is often made, like in the "my opinion: heavy users are downfall for the rest" thread is that cloud chasing gives ammo to vaping opposition.

I use to agree with that... That is to say, I use to blindly agree with that.

I have never heard any non vaper complain about this... Ever! I never read things like "electronic-cigarette produce to much smoke" in the news or elsewhere. One of my cloud chaser buddy happily blow huge clouds in the street and at work (construction site)... I never heard any complaints about his huge clouds.

The only people who complains about it, as far as I know, aren't the ANTZ, they aren't the FDA nor the news media, they are the vapers. Nobody else.

So here is my question: Where do you (Anti-Cloudchasers) come up with this theory that cloud-chasing makes us look bad.

Just to be clear I am not a cloud-chaser, my daily setup is a Provari+kayfun 1.3Ω at 3.4volts (roughly 9 watts).

ps: I'm posting this here because the aforementioned thread is already several pages deep and the conversation shifted from the OP.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Where do you (Anti-Cloudchasers) come up with this theory that cloud-chasing makes us look bad.

Kinda like real estate; location, location, location.
icon_wink.gif

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
I don't hate cloud-chasers, Steam. But I do worry that some of these sub-ohm, mech mod lunatics that have no idea what they're doing (the guy who wanted to build a coil that ran at .08 ohms comes to mind..) are the ones who make the news when their super-powered cloud chucker blows up in their face, dismantling their teeth and giving ammo to the non-vapers who would have us all chewing Nicorette for the rest of our days!

Point two, some (not all) of the the mech mod yahoos consider themselves to be vastly superior to the rest of us moyuks who are completely content with something along the lines of a Spinner and a BCC clearo. Which rankles us simple folk; we're just happy we don't smoke anymore. You get somebody in your face telling you why RDA's/RBA's/sub-ohms are the ONLY way to go, and you just wants to slap them into next week and tell them to mind their own business.

IMO, Cloud chasing DOES make us look bad. Clouds generated on a sub-ohm RBA/RDA are VASTLY larger than any puff of smoke that ever came off of a traditional cigarette. If the cloud-chasers ever become predominant and public with their massive clouds, the general public could very well get a real hard-on (in a bad way!) against vaping, and the copious amounts of vapor that cloud-chasers put into the air.

I'm not "anti" cloud chasing; just use a little common sense and consideration when doing it! But some cloud chasers are so proud of themselves and their mods that they often throw both to the wind. Pun intended!

Last edited:

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Iffy said it but I believe the door swings both ways. I vape for the flavor but laugh my .... off watching people blow these monster clouds. I saw a girl at a local B&M blow one and I thought to myself that she should pass out. They were doing it in the right place.

I saw another guy break out his spinner and a mini in a grocery store, aisle were full, no clouds but it's illegal in Chicago. Everyone noticed, there were whispers and honestly (and I'm not a violent man) I wanted to smack the thing right out of his mouth.

Time and place is key! The cloud chaser that do it appropriately aren't the problem. It's all the jugheads that don't respect the location or the people around them that give us a bad name. The cloud chasers, watching them is the best, almost all go bug-eyed on the exhale. It's not for me but really do enjoy watching.

Bottom line is they have the same rights as the rest of us. It's the folks that want to make a "statement" that are the real problem. I'm older and believe it's all about respect.

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
@Hurricanegirl

I'm with you on the safety side of things building a 0.08 ohm coil is stupid and ignorant. Although it is not cranked up mechs that explodes all the time in the news... It is ego batteries. Always ego's

I have zero respect for elitist vapers to.. But that is off topic.

I am just wondering what evidence do you have that the simple fact of exhaling ridiculous amounts of vapor hinders vaping as a whole.

epicdoom

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Maryland USA
For me a normal hit would appear that I'm cloud chasing I take long deep lung hits. Even at ohms of 1.0 1.5 on certain RBA's with certain builds seem to make a great deal of vapor on the rite Battery mod. I don't vape inside like the mall or a store or even in the bar. In my truck though its like fast times at Ridgemont high, at home looks like I live in mist.

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
Marc411 said:
Bottom line is they have the same rights as the rest of us. It's the folks that want to make a "statement" that are the real problem. I'm older and believe it's all about respect.

Fair point.. I agree. But I would say the same thing about ego+protank vapers that vapes anywhere just to make a point... It is not a cloudchaser problem in my opinion, it is broader than that.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've changed my perspective on "cloud chasers"....somewhat.

To become a cloud chaser, one had to be a sub-ohm vaper, and generally this also meant an ultra-low sub-ohm vaper. So in my way of thinking, cloud chasing was synonomous with sub-ohming. My beef was with those vapers who were either ignorant of the potential battery safety issues of sub-ohm vaping (using batteries not equipped to do sub-ohms safely), or those who know better yet rationalized their reckless behavior by saying they had been vaping at their battery's limits and they hadn't blown up their face yet, so that meant what they were doing was ok.

I've recently adopted a more leanient attitude towards cloud chasers and sub-ohm vaping, as has PBusardo recently. Not that long ago he stated, "Sometimes, just because you can (subohm/chase clouds), doesn't mean you should." Over time, he has changed his perspective. PBusardo: Some Thoughts on Sub-Ohm Safety

Our resident battery authority, forum manager Rolygate has some interesting thoughts on the current batteries available for sub-ohm vaping. Modern battery technology has come a long way in just the last year or two. Sub-Ohm Advisory

So, if everyone who is sub-ohming uses a 30 amp battery, perhaps all the fear-mongering we used to do is not really necessary. I believe if one does sub-ohms responsibly they can be considered reasonably safe. I have recently joined the fold myself - I'm currently vaping a 0.5 ohm dual coil powered by a 30 amp battery.

As others have pointed out, there's a time and a place for cloud chasing. At home or in a vape shop is one thing. In a public restaurant, grocery store, or movie theater is another.

Last edited:

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Fair point.. I agree. But I would say the same thing about ego+protank vapers that vapes anywhere just to make a point... It is not a cloudchaser problem in my opinion, it is broader than that.

Absolutely, I agree 100%. The reality is we are under a microscope right now and anyone that holds some bizarre looking apparatus in there hands blowing clouds is going to get attention. Ego or Nemesis it's probably not in our best interest right now to ignore local laws or not respect peoples space. I'm not saying we should hide, I walk outside my office several times a day and have a good vape, I just make sure I am not intruding on others.

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
Let's take my "cloud-buddy" for example.

Give him a Provari and the best clearo available on the market and he'll go buy a pack of smokes 2 hours later.... Give him a mech and a 0.3Ω dual coil dripper and he's not smoking... I don't see a problem with that.

Again, as long as you are not an idiot blowing clouds directly in peoples face and that you use your setup safely, it's all good with me.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Not to deny you your due. I am sure you have observed what you have and are reporting accordingly. I have seen the looks and heard the comments. As a careful Vaper, I talk to people. Smokers, ex-smokers, non smokers and yes even ANTZ. We actually have at least 3 in the place I work. I refuse to get into arguments or drop to any given level to prove a point and instead keep conversations on an even keel and get info many may never hear.

Perhaps some of the difference you witness is cultural. After all Canada, the US, Mexico and most other countries have their intricate differences.
Where one culture may accept something almost blindly another may stone someone to death for the same action.

Last edited:

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
I don't hate cloud-chasers, Steam. But I do worry that some of these sub-ohm, mech mod lunatics that have no idea what they're doing (the guy who wanted to build a coil that ran at .08 ohms comes to mind..) are the ones who make the news when their super-powered cloud chucker blows up in their face, dismantling their teeth and giving ammo to the non-vapers who would have us all chewing Nicorette for the rest of our days!

Point two, some (not all) of the the mech mod yahoos consider themselves to be vastly superior to the rest of us moyuks who are completely content with something along the lines of a Spinner and a BCC clearo. Which rankles us simple folk; we're just happy we don't smoke anymore. You get somebody in your face telling you why RDA's/RBA's/sub-ohms are the ONLY way to go, and you just wants to slap them into next week and tell them to mind their own business.

IMO, Cloud chasing DOES make us look bad. Clouds generated on a sub-ohm RBA/RDA are VASTLY larger than any puff of smoke that ever came off of a traditional cigarette. If the cloud-chasers ever become predominant and public with their massive clouds, the general public could very well get a real hard-on (in a bad way!) against vaping, and the copious amounts of vapor that cloud-chasers put into the air.

I'm not "anti" cloud chasing; just use a little common sense and consideration when doing it! But some cloud chasers are so proud of themselves and their mods that they often throw both to the wind. Pun intended!
That could happen with a eGo battery and a Provari. A battery is well, just a battery. Post up some links of sub ohm vaping accidents. The majority of the vape show I attended last week were using mechs and RDA's. We were having a blast :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread