Not open for further replies.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Sorry to bother you guys again.

I've tried searching for isopropyl alcohol in couple of pharmacies in my area and they usually direct me to some wound cleaner products so i didn't buy it. A friend of mine brought me a bottle of which he says is isopropyl alcohol but the label has "Hibitane 1%" - Is it usable?

Cheers

No... Hibitane isn't good. Don't use it. I'm not sure how they would label isopropyl alcohol in Singapore.

A pharmacist might know- is there one you can ask?

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL

AfterGlow

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2010
Detroit
I really hope this hasn't already been asked, I read quite a bit of this post and would love to clean some bad flavors out of my attys. I have 70% Iso Alcohol, will this work? I'm assuming that it is just going to take longer to dry but I want to be sure. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: I'd like to add that I'm not cleaning my attys because they are dead (2 are new), I got a couple of flavors I don't care for and blowing out and then reprimming did not get the taste out. Is this too extreme for my case??

Last edited:

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
I really hope this hasn't already been asked, I read quite a bit of this post and would love to clean some bad flavors out of my attys. I have 70% Iso Alcohol, will this work? I'm assuming that it is just going to take longer to dry but I want to be sure. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: I'd like to add that I'm not cleaning my attys because they are dead (2 are new), I got a couple of flavors I don't care for and blowing out and then reprimming did not get the taste out. Is this too extreme for my case??

Hi AG,

Well to be sure there are some flavors that can't be removed by anything conventional. That being said:

70% isopropyl alcohol is fine. You may consider using a blow dryer to dry the atty. I combination of heat and airflow will generally dry the beejesus out of them fairly quick. When you can't smell the alcohol anymore- it's gone.

As I mentioned previously, I use the alcohol system as maintenance not rescue.

I like the 90%+ stuff because it dries very very fast. But it has no functional advantage other than that.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Just as a reference, I cleaned three atomizers, and three cartridges with isopropyl alcohol,and left the alcohol to evaporate.

The following picture is what the alcohol removed:

atty garbage.jpg

I blogged this here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...emoved-cleaning-atties-isopropyl-alcohol.html

Last edited:

Eldoen

Aug 30, 2010
McKinney, TX
Wish when I was in Singapore that I had gone to some of the electronic stores. Electronic production is large in Singapore, you should be able to find a decent selection in some of the electronic "hobby" shops. Especially those that cater to soldering. (although they do generally charge more as it is ran through a couple of more filters)

El

I tried soaking my attys in hot (not quite boiling) vinegar until it cooled, then a soak in hot water. Air dried 'em overnight and they looked and vaped like new. Got old juice and carbon deposits out. Hey, it works for my coffeemaker. If I were more motivated, I would probably use distilled water instead of tap water. Also, I prime 'em before storage. I'm still a newbie, so we'll see...

AfterGlow

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2010
Detroit
I finally got down to trying the alcohol cleaning technique yesterday, as I was getting a few new flavors in today. I followed the video to a t. I attempted this with 2 510 attys. One was a TW atty and one came with my Riva, although it is a Joye. After cleaning I left on top of my laptop cooling pad to dry for almost 2 hours. upon checking them the TW atty did not have a smell of alcohol, the Joye did. I washed both of them out well with hot water after doing a dry burn and them dried them again with a hairdryer. While there is no taste of alcohol I can detect anymore, neither of my atomizers produce a decent amount of vapor, it has probably been cut into about 1/4 the vapor it was producing before.

I don't know if I've done something different that may have cause this, but from what it looks like I am out 2 attys.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
I finally got down to trying the alcohol cleaning technique yesterday, as I was getting a few new flavors in today. I followed the video to a t. I attempted this with 2 510 attys. One was a TW atty and one came with my Riva, although it is a Joye. After cleaning I left on top of my laptop cooling pad to dry for almost 2 hours. upon checking them the TW atty did not have a smell of alcohol, the Joye did. I washed both of them out well with hot water after doing a dry burn and them dried them again with a hairdryer. While there is no taste of alcohol I can detect anymore, neither of my atomizers produce a decent amount of vapor, it has probably been cut into about 1/4 the vapor it was producing before.

I don't know if I've done something different that may have cause this, but from what it looks like I am out 2 attys.

You ran them under water. If the wicks are wet- they will not soak up juice no matter how much you prime them.

Clean them, set them aside for 24 hours (like the video says), and prime them- and go.

Or... if you really believe the atties are ruined- please send them to me.

AfterGlow

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2010
Detroit
Ok, I will try this. I only ran them under water because there was still a hint of alcohol smell in them and that worried me. Like I said, I was fairly sure that I had done something to cause this so I will let them dry again and see where I am at tomorrow. Thanks cozz.

You ran them under water. If the wicks are wet- they will not soak up juice no matter how much you prime them.

Clean them, set them aside for 24 hours (like the video says), and prime them- and go.

Or... if you really believe the atties are ruined- please send them to me.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Ok, I will try this. I only ran them under water because there was still a hint of alcohol smell in them and that worried me. Like I said, I was fairly sure that I had done something to cause this so I will let them dry again and see where I am at tomorrow. Thanks cozz.

No problem...

No free atties for me! Darn.

:D

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
lol, you never know, there's no guarantee that I won't crap this up still :p

If you need the atties ready in less than an hour... place them in front of a running hair dryer after leaving the alcohol bath. Don't dry burn after. Then prime the beejesus out of them and vape like crazy.

Vidi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Cozzicon.

Ive followed your video and I have a couple of questions. First you should know I'm only using 71% alcohol because it was in the house. I will get 91% later on.

What if I can NEVER get my attys to produce the stream of alcohol that lets me know they're cleaned. One of my attys only drips no matter how long I let it soak ( left in the alcohol overnight ) The atty does produce vapor but only a little and its a difficult draw.

Do you think that after a good cleaning the attys need to be rebroken in? When my attys first came it took a few days of vaping on them before they really started to perform to my liking and Ive noticed that I'm having similar results now.

Lastly, short of a wire brush do you know a good method of getting the black gunk out of the thread of the 510/eGo battery ( female connector )? Its been a challenge keeping those clean.

Thanks for the vids. I was ready to give up on those attys and Ive gotten all but one back in my rotation.

Last edited:

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Cozzicon.

Ive followed your video and I have a couple of questions. First you should know I'm only using 71% alcohol because it was in the house. I will get 91% later on.

What if I can NEVER get my attys to produce the stream of alcohol that lets me know they're cleaned. One of my attys only drips no matter how long I let it soak ( left in the alcohol overnight ) The atty does produce vapor but only a little and its a difficult draw.

Do you think that after a good cleaning the attys need to be rebroken in? When my attys first came it took a few days of vaping on them before they really started to perform to my liking and Ive noticed that I'm having similar results now.

Lastly, short of a wire brush do you know a good method of getting the black gunk out of the thread of the 510/eGo battery ( female connector )? Its been a challenge keeping those clean.

Thanks for the vids. I was ready to give up on those attys and Ive gotten all but one back in my rotation.

Well, in some cases the lack of a stream can mean that something is blocking the hole on the bottom. As a last ditch effort, stick a pin up in there and see if you can widen the airway. I've never done this myself, but I saw a post on it elsewhere- apparently the heat can melt that hole closed sometimes.

My experience with "breaking in" is that if a freshly cleaned atty is primed well it vapes just fine.

I use the isopropyl alcohol and a paper towel on the threads. I stick the towel into a groove with a fingernail and *spin*. Seems to work for me.

Vidi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Well, in some cases the lack of a stream can mean that something is blocking the hole on the bottom. As a last ditch effort, stick a pin up in there and see if you can widen the airway. I've never done this myself, but I saw a post on it elsewhere- apparently the heat can melt that hole closed sometimes.

My experience with "breaking in" is that if a freshly cleaned atty is primed well it vapes just fine.

cool thanks

I use the isopropyl alcohol and a paper towel on the threads. I stick the towel into a groove with a fingernail and *spin*. Seems to work for me.

yeah that works on the outside ( male ) threads, but my short stubby and fat fingers prohibit such an action on the inside ( female ) threads.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread