Status
Not open for further replies.

m00shie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Malaysia
I'm exploring to do clapton coils and would like check with experts on building nickel claptons.

I understand its recommended that standard nickel coils needs to be spaced. Does this applies to clapton coils as well?

My first test is to build a 28g nickel with 30g/32g nickel on the outer layer.

Thanks in advanced.

Robert Stevens

Aug 28, 2015
If you build a hybrid clapton, ni200 core, wrapped in kanthal spacing becomes unnecessary in my experience. I regularly build ti and ni200 core claptons with 26g core, wrapped in 32g kanthal and they are by far the most hassle free, effective tc coils I have used so far.

I wouldnt spend much time getting them to be perfect contact coils, but there is no need to stress about them touching a bit.

NotInAGang

Sep 2, 2015
Bozeman, Montana
I've had the same experience as Robert. I typically do a 28g kanthal 28 ni200 twisted core and wrap that with 32g kanthal. The ramp up time is manageable and the flavor is conistent. They also work well spaced, but I love building my coils with tons of wraps, so I have to get rid of spacing to make them fit in my rda's. I've also been experimenting with making ni200/kanthal fused staple claptons, and so far they're even better, but require a little more prep time. Cheers!

NotInAGang

Sep 2, 2015
Bozeman, Montana
All I have available to me right now is 28G Ni200, would it be plausible to clapton 28 around 28?
Absolutely; the box doesn't read the clapton wire as part of the overall resistance so your mod would only see the inner 28g.

ok... 26g ni200 wrapped with 32g kanthal... how many wraps and what diameter would you recommend - single coil? dual coil?

thanks in advance

tonyc
Definitely single coil due to the super low resistance on 26g. I wrap mine on 3mm. The more wraps the better with ni200; as the ramp up time on it is negligible at 50j and higher. Cheers!

GenericPCusername

Oct 6, 2015
NEPA
So that was my first attempt in making any clapton wire and it was alot easier than I had expected. I did 7 standard wraps of 28/28 clapton Ni200 around a 3mm rod and it came out to .08. I'm running it on a Vaporshark rDNA40, so there is a bit of a ramp up time at 40 watts but it's a very flavorful vape! I can't wait to experiment with this stuff some more and now I'm thinking there might be a DNA200 in my future ;)

NotInAGang

Sep 2, 2015
Bozeman, Montana
So that was my first attempt in making any clapton wire and it was alot easier than I had expected. I did 7 standard wraps of 28/28 clapton Ni200 around a 3mm rod and it came out to .08. I'm running it on a Vaporshark rDNA40, so there is a bit of a ramp up time at 40 watts but it's a very flavorful vape! I can't wait to experiment with this stuff some more and now I'm thinking there might be a DNA200 in my future ;)

Definitely get that DNA200. I'm running mine on a sig 150 tc, so it reads in joules. As I understand it, joules is the # of watts per second fired into the coil, so that DNA200 would be right on par or better than what I'm running it on. I'm glad you're liking the flavor! Definitely check out the Scottish Roll wicking technique @ ,

It was a game changer for flavor. We never really discuss wicking, which is sad considering how big a part of your overall vape it is. What atty are you running it on?

NotInAGang

Sep 2, 2015
Bozeman, Montana
So - ok I managed to build a 26g nic core - wrapped with 32g kanthal - how many wraps on a 2.5mm bit? Or on a 3mm bit? It's going to go either my rRDNA40 or on top of a sig75...

Thanks in advance

Tonyc

Definitely go for as many wraps as you can fit, the sig 75 has trouble reading coils close to its lowest limit.

Afcarmona

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2014
Las Vegas NV USA
success! many thanks for the assist! the first coil i wrapped snapped... :( I had enough left over to try a second coil - got it to fit in my mephisto :thumb:
2nd coil worked out to .12 ohms... 3mm coils - 10 wraps -26g nic with 32g kanthal
vape happy

my first nickel clapton.jpg
my first nickel clapton.jpg

If you can fit 15 in your deck, definitely do it. 8 would be minimum. I wrap mine on a 3mm drill bit and love the results. Cheers!

Reactions: NotInAGang

NotInAGang

Sep 2, 2015
Bozeman, Montana
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread