Chest & side pains, anxiety, sore throat, & coughing up phlem since I started using my e-cig. (Warning : Really long / Life story type post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jin

Aug 26, 2010
Saint Paul, MN
I spent quite a while tonight pondering whether or not to make this thread, since I've seen some similar threads in this section result in the OP getting bashed into high heaven by very passionate e-cig supporters. But as you can guess I ultimately decided to make this thread to share my experiences and hopefully get some feedback from other e-cig users who may have had similar experiences. I suppose can handle a few knocks if they come lol

So here's my story...

About a year ago I decided that while I had no interest in trying to break my nicotine addiction, I did want to find a safer way to indulge this habit that would carry less risk than smoking cigarettes. This wasn't the first time I had made such efforts, since about 5 years before that I decided to switch to rolling my own cigarettes with American Spirit tobacco and bleach free rice papers rather than the pre-packed and chemical laden Camel and Pall Mall cigs I had smoked for the past 8 years. This went quite well and after an easy switch to rolling my own with American Spirit I ended up cutting back from 2 packs a day to 10 cigarettes a day without any real effort involved. I started smoking additive free tobacco and it just happened all by itself, my addiction was reduced. I was now a half a pack a day smoker and my lungs (and whole body really) felt a heck of a lot better. This was in 2005. Fast forward 5 years later to 2010.

At this point I was still smoking about 8 to 10 home rolled American Spirit cigs a day and through the experiences of various friends had discovered E-Cigs. The short version of the story is that I found this forum, spent a lot of time reading, and eventually bought a Joye 510 manual battery starter kit, a PCC for it, and a variety of tobacco flavored 6mg e-liquid samplers from Vaperite. Most were 50/50 VG/PG mixes and some were 100% VG. I vaped these regularly (substituting short vaping sessions for 3 or 4 of my daily cigs) for a few days before I started getting really bad itching sensations over my whole body. I stuck with it another week or two but the more I vaped the worse the itching got. When it eventually got to the point that I didn't sleep for almost 2 days due to severe itching denying me slumber I decided it was time to call it quits on the e-cig and go back to my American Spirit home rolls.
I did see a doctor about this and the best they could advise me is "You are having an allergic reaction to something in the ecig and you should stop using using it". And so I did.

Now at some point last fall, a good 6 months or so after giving up e-cigs and going back to my home rolled analogs, I decided to start taking a liquid vitamin D supplement. It was a liquid that was to be dripped into a beverage, anywhere from 2 to 6 drops a day, to boost Vitamin D levels. After taking it for a few days I developed the same type of whole body itching I had when I was vaping. I saw a doctor about this and the advice was the same as when I was vaping, "You're having an allergic reaction to something in it. Stop using it." And so once again I took my doctor's advice and stopped taking the supplement.

It wasn't until about a month ago that, when shuffling through my medicine cabinet, I saw the Vitamin D supplement still sitting there and for some reason decided to read the ingredients list again. I saw that the main base ingredient in it was vegetable glycerin, or VG as well call it, and a little light went on in my head. "Hey! I've seen that stuff before! That was the same stuff that was in my e-liquid and... oh wait... I get it now." :facepalm:

I'm not sure why I never put 2 and 2 together up until that point, especially since I read over the ingredients list for the Vitamin D supplement many times while trying to figure out what exactly was causing my itching when I was taking it. But in any case, now that I knew what I was most likely having a reaction to when vaping I decided to look into it again to see if I could get juice without VG in it to try out and see how it went. In the meantime I gave the old Vaprite juice I had laying around another try to see if I still had a reaction to it, and sure enough after vaping 3 or 4 cigs worth a day for a few days I started getting that horrible itching all over again. Needless to say I stopped right away when that started happening.

About 2 weeks ago, after posting about 100% PG juice options in the new member section, a really kind and wonderful local e-cig user contacted me and offered to give me a couple bottles of Liberty Flights 100% PG juice. So I took her up on the offer and gave it a go!
At this point I've been vaping 100% PG juice for about 2 weeks and I'm pleased to say that I have had zero itching problems. Unfortunately though, as happy as I am about not itching all over from my e-cig this time around, I am having some other problems that I'm finding pretty scary. And so now we come to the point of this thread.

All the problems I'm about to describe started off very mild and infrequent within a couple days after starting to vape again but have all gotten much worse over the past few days as I've continued to vape more each day. I started off by just replacing 2 or 3 of my daily cigarette smokes by vaping instead, but over the last week or so I've bumped it up to replacing roughly 6 to 8 of my daily cigs with vaping sessions so I'm now only smoking 2 to 4 analogs a day. So here's what's been going on...

The worst of the problems for me has been a constant tension in my chest, regular sharp pain in my chest and my left side (roughly around the spot where the kidney is located), and generally labored breathing. After smoking analogs for 13 years now I have never had chest pain like this nor have I ever had labored breathing like this. When I wake up in the morning now, and at regular intervals throughout the day, I've been having some pretty bad chest pains (usually right around the center of my chest but sometimes more towards the left side in the area around my heart) and my overall ability to breathe feels like it's been substantially reduced since I started vaping a couple weeks ago. I often find myself short of breath during leisurely day to day activities, which is something I never had happen when I was smoking analogs unless I was trying to run a decent distance. I did have my lung capacity evaluated by a doctor last year and was informed that my lungs were functioning at 98% of normal, which astonished the doctor given that I am a smoker of 13 years.
But more alarming than anything else though is the regular feeling of a stabbing pain in my left side right around where the kidney is located. It's really unsettling and is probably the biggest reason I chose to make this thread.

Another problem I've been having since I started up with the e-cig again has been mild to moderate anxiety. I did have an anxiety disorder for about 4 years of my life that was extremely debilitating (so much so that I couldn't work a job or hardly leave the house for anything more than short trips for 4 years) but though gradual desensitization and therapy without the aid of any medication I was able to overcome my anxiety problems and I have been completely anxiety free and living a normal healthy life for almost 3 years now. I had my life back again and never once had an anxiety attack or those feelings of panic I used to have all the time, that is until about 2 days ago when for just a few moments feelings of general anxiousness and panic came back. They faded relatively quickly, within 30 seconds or so, but I have had that feeling of anxious panic that used to occur before an anxiety attack pop up out of nowhere a couple times over the past 2 days.
This has surprised me greatly, since I've been through some pretty hard times since my anxiety problems went away (including the death of my father, who I was very close to) and never once did they come back. So I can't imagine it being caused by any psychological stress factors in my life, since I've been through some really tough times and never had the anxiety issues come back and there's really nothing stressful going on in my life right now, but now that I am vaping an e-cig regularly they've suddenly resurfaced. It's quite puzzling.

Lastly, I've also found myself coughing a lot and hacking up quite a bit of clear phlegm over the past week. This is highly unusual for me, because even though I'm a long time smoker I've kept my habit pretty minimal (8 to 10 cigs per day) since switching to home rolled American Spirit cigs 6 years ago and have never had a smoker's cough nor have I ever hacked up phlegm with any regularity unless I had a cold/flu. The past week it seems like I've been coughing constantly and hacking up clear phlegm just as regularly. It probably doesn't help at all that the 100% PG juice I've been vaping has been really abrasive on my lungs and throat and has really been rather painful to vape most of the time regardless of what equipment I try to use it with (standard & LR cartos, attys, regular Joye 510 batteries, a 3.7v box mod, etc.). Then there's also the matter of the constant sore throat I've had since I started vaping again, burning sensation in my lungs, and just feeling generally... well... crappy!

I am aware of the potential for dehydration from high levels of PG intake, so I have been making sure to drink lots and lots of water over the past few weeks that I've been vaping, and I haven't found myself feeling any more thirsty than usual. So I think it's probably safe to say that dehydration is not likely the cause of any of these problems.

And, well, that's my story up to this point! I know it was an enormously long read but if you got this far I do want to thank you for taking the time to read it and I really wanted to share it to see if anyone else has had any similar experiences. But don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying "If you vape these are the horrible things that will happen to you!". Not at all. What I'm saying is that these are the things that have happened to me and since the only thing I have changed in my life over the past 2 weeks is starting to vape again, I feel relatively confident that vaping is the cause of them. So again, this is just what I've experienced and your results may vary.

For now I think I'm going to give up vaping and stick to my home rolled American Spirit analogs for a few days, maybe as much as a week, and see how it goes. If the problems I've been suffering all go away than it seems likely that I may consider giving up vaping and just accept that I'll probably smoke cigarettes for the rest of my life. I was hoping to find a safer and healthier way to indulge my smoking habits, but at this point I'm starting to wonder if for me at least the cure might be worse than the disease.

Best wishes to all here and thank you again to those who took the time to read this small novel. Hopefully someone will be able to offer some insight into what might be going on and/or share any similar experiences that they may have had. :)

Last edited:

jayvolt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2011
West Palm Beach FL USA
I am not a doctor so please do not think for even one second that what I say is medical advise. Please see a doctor for that.

That being said, there is no need to flame a person for posting. If you are having symptoms, you are. Whether or not they are vape related or not they are real. So far from what I have learned, anxiety is about normal when cutting back or quitting cigarettes (please read anything DVAP has ever written and all of the post on MAOI inhibitors in cigarettes that we lack in nicotine liquids). I have GAD, that was under control without meds and had to start taking Xanax when I quit. My doctor who recently quit (he does not vape) had the same issue. Equally with the tightness in the chest. My doctor put my on a ventolin inhaler 4X a day to compensate, equally he is on the same med. This has to do with the fact that your lungs are both healing and panicking at the same time. Smoking paralyzes your lungs and they do not react to normal stimuli, as they heal they freak ( for lack of better terminology).

I drink a gallon a day, that being said, if I up my caffeine intake via coffee and soda I notice the same pain in my kidney area. On a scale of 1-10 I would rate it at about a 3. As to the phlegm, it is a side effect of both quitting/cutting down smoking, and sometimes a side effect of vaping. Though that seems to be more with VG liquids. Personally I have a list so far of about 6 liquids that have flavorings I do not do well with, eg thay make me a bit SOB or I feel a tightness.

I am sorry to hear of your issues, and am sad to see a vapor go. This is not for everyone, and some people are less tolerant than others. As a suggestion stonewall pellets or snus can be a great alternative that is both cleaner than smoking and better for your lungs. There are alot of posts on those as well. I hope you feel better, and if you have questions please ask. Though there are people in ANY forum that will defend something to the nines, those few should not be the measure of the entire group.

jayvolt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2011
West Palm Beach FL USA
"Hello everyone!
I'm a new e-Cig user who just started yesterday and I'm really enjoying it already. For the first time in at least a decade I went 6 hours without smoking a single analog cigarette yesterday, and I have my new e-Cig to thank for it"

from http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-user-question-about-throat-scratchiness.html

"About a year ago I decided that while I had no interest in trying to break my nicotine addiction, I did want to find a safer way to indulge this habit that would carry less risk than smoking cigarettes."

From this thread.

If you look at my posts I dislike alarmists and trolls GREATLY. There is conflicting info in all of your posts and this does not lend to credibility. I really hate trying to help a person only to find discrepancies in their stories. Such as in one post you elude to the fact that you have never used a carto, and in another thread you say you have always filled cartos in this fashion. People on this forum check everything, including the 14 posts you have made and what they were about. Realize this is not flaming, simply pointing out a few inconsistencies. If you are having symptoms and want to be heard the best way to do so is keep it all straight.

Jin

Aug 26, 2010
Saint Paul, MN
Jay, I'd like to thank you very much for your replies! Your first reply was extremely illuminating and it really made me a feel a lot better to have some idea of what is causing all these problems I've been having from a scientific/medical standpoint. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

Regarding your second post, referencing inconsistencies in my posts, all I can say is that I have really tried my best to be sincere and honest in telling my story here. When I typed the original post in this thread it was all from memory, and I honestly don't remember having a strong desire to quit smoking altogether when I first tried e-cigs last year. Perhaps I had forgotten that initial enthusiasm I had last year when I tried vaping for the first time, before the nasty itching from the all VG juice set in after a few days. And many of the recent events that happened before I made this thread all occurred in relatively short succession. Like how in one post not long ago I had never used a carto before, then less than a week later I had been using a carto for a few days and had developed a filling technique I liked for it. This was because when a local user on this board gave me the 100% PG juice to try out she also gave me a carto to try since she noticed in my post that I had never used one before. Then shortly thereafter (last week actually) I ordered a 3.7v box mod from Foxy Box Mods along with some LR cartos, batteries, and a charger for them from Mad Vapes plus some new juice to try from Freedom Smoke USA. A whole lot of stuff has happened in a very short time since I returned to vaping a few weeks ago.
So I offer you my sincere apologies for any inconsistencies that there may have been in my posts. Everything I wrote about was how the events occurred to the best of my memory and I do not desire to deceive anyone in any way. Again, I'm sorry if a combination of foggy memory and a lot of recent events happening in short succession made it seem as if I was trying to deceive. This was definitely not my intention and I'm sorry it came across that way.

And thank you again for the excellent first post! I sure appreciate any insight I can get into these problems I've been having and your post was not only extremely helpful but also very reassuring.

Last edited:

jayvolt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2011
West Palm Beach FL USA
That is fine, and I am not trying to be inflammatory at all. I grow concerned when see stuff like that because where I am more rational, some are more emotional. Flame wars are started because of a lack of post or a short time on the boards, troll or FUD threads have been started SO many times that most just assume that anything derogatory is instantly that.

As far as your symptoms, they need to be addressed, hifi makes a valid point but forgets that a doctor will sometimes instantly attribute these to the PV and not check. Though I strongly urge you to see a doctor about it make sure they are thorough in the search for a cause. It seems as though most of the symptoms you are having have been gone over at length in a few different threads. I am off to work in a short minute so I don't have time to look them up right now, but I did want to let you know that I am not attacking you. Simply pointing out things that others will look for.

Please do see a DR., and my apologies if you cannot continue, and have to go find an alternative. Personally I found an alternative that works. I have been smoke free for some time now after a near 23 year 2 PAD habit.

hifistud

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2009
Sunderland, UK
Here's the thing, though - too many folks go to see a doctor and say daft things like "I think it may be to do with my <insert coincidental happenstance here>" instead of simply describing the symptoms and letting the doctor ask the right questions. If you describe your symptoms accurately, he'll know what to look for. If one of the things is something that's involved in an e-cig, then fine... if not, then that's also fine...

But the last place to look for information is on a forum. People have almost died because of it.

jayvolt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2011
West Palm Beach FL USA
Please tell me where people have almost died? On this forum most everyone (including me) will tell you to go to the doctor. Mostly all of us state that we are in fact NOT doctors ourselves. I personally told her to do so. I simply advise making sure that a diagnosis is done based on the facts in evidence and not on fear mongering. The last place to look for info is NOT the forum, I don't know or care about the state os the health care system un the UK, but here most people CAN'T afford a doctors visit, and people on forums can be very informative. She was not asking for a differential diagnostic, simply questioned if anyone else had seen the same symptoms.

hifistud

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2009
Sunderland, UK
Quite a while ago, a guy came onto one of the UK forums seeking advice on some symptoms he was experiencing, coincident with taking up e-cigs. So many people dove in and said "yes, this is normal - it's likely a PG allergy, or a VG allergy, or a reaction to this and that"... Anyway, one or two sensible folks simply said "get it checked out by a doctor". He did, and it turned out to be nothing whatever to do with e-cigs, and was, in fact, a life-threatening condition which had arisen coincidentally with his e-cig take-up. Had he listened to the forum, he would have been dead long enough since, as he came back to tell us.

My own mother (thankfully not a forumite) took up an e-cig to replace her smoking habit, and began to suffer a few chest pains. To the doctor she went, and, again, it was nothing whatever to do with e-cigs at all - her symptoms had surfaced coincidentally with the change, and would have done had she not made the switch. As it happens, what she had killed her, and any advice on the forums could not have changed that, BUT, she got palliative care much earlier than she would have had she been a forumite and taken advice such as we often see given.

And, similarly to you, I have no real knowledge of your healthcare system, either. That said, the ONLY advice anyone should ever give is "see a doctor" - unless they're happy to have a death on their hands. It really is that simple.

jayvolt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2011
West Palm Beach FL USA
That's a little blanketed. I am sorry for your loss, and am glad the other gentleman went in to see a doctor. BUT, forums are here for discussion and advise. It is up to the person to either take the advise with a grain of salt or consider it edict. Most doctors the world over have no clue what an ecig is, and they tend to blame the unknown before anything else. Good doctors are far and few between, and most all GP's are not diagnosticians. I am not a doctor, though I am medically trained. We ALL have a responsibility to tell a person to "immediately go see a doctor", sadly most will not. Most due to a lack of insurance. When a person asks if another has had similar symptoms though I think it is a needed function of a forum to record them. There is NO real testing being done on these devices as of right now, and WE inherently become responsible for recording data and keeping track of what could be a trend in symptoms that need to be checked more thoroughly.

If you check this sub forum regularly, you will find that "go to the doctor" is a VERY regularly used phrase. But people that know a thing or two will usually chime in and do a little explaining as well. The best thing you can hand your doctor in ANY case is information, and there are ALOT of people on here that are a wealth of it. The health forum is not here to act as a self diagnostic center!, It is here for the discussion of common issue suffered amongst a group of people. I see a large number of people suffering from anxiety and panic associated with cessation, a normal withdrawl symptom. Do you tell the person to go see a doctor? Yes, but a little explanation goes a LONG way. Most people that are told that it is normal than calm down and start to think rationally.

To say that all anyone should ever say is "go to the doctor" is a little short sighted. It lends to fear mongering, and tends to shut down the flow of information. If you tell a person go see a physician and they don't go. Or a person reads a forum and feels that they should follow it like a religion, the blame is not on MY hands, it is on theirs.

W Axl Rose

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Iowa
Ecigs gave me problems breathing too, which I never had while smoking. I ended up switching to swedish snus (NOT the same as American 'chew') and have been cigarette free for over 1.5 years. Some of us need more than nicotine alone and snus provides the whole tobacco alkaloids that we are missing. I too, had anxiety when using ecigs alone. You might want to check out the smokeless forum, it is located in the health forum under the heading of 'other alternatives to smoking' or something like that.

expat

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
Arkansas
Not a Dr either, but I am a retired paramedic.

The chest pain needs evaluating by a doc. Cardiac chest pain is not usually described as sharp, most say it is diffuse. And the flank pain can be due to a lot of various things. Anxiety can give you respiratory problems, and that sort of feeling of tightness in the chest, but I'd never say it's down to that without an proper eval.

So the best advice I would give you is to be seen by a doc and let them run a few tests to rule out the possibilities.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Ecigs gave me problems breathing too, which I never had while smoking. I ended up switching to swedish snus (NOT the same as American 'chew') and have been cigarette free for over 1.5 years. Some of us need more than nicotine alone and snus provides the whole tobacco alkaloids that we are missing. I too, had anxiety when using ecigs alone. You might want to check out the smokeless forum, it is located in the health forum under the heading of 'other alternatives to smoking' or something like that.

Ah hah, caughr you over here Axl. To add to her post, a direct link- Smokeless tobacco

I'm not going to add much to what's been posted except about the itch thing. When I started vaping and seriously cut back on smoking I also developed a disturbing itch. After seven months of vaping and smoking, I also completely stopped smoking with a few portions of Swedish snus a day (4-5). I also now only vape on very rare occasions. That's been 1 1/3 years now.

A lot of what you write about I also had as I cut back on smoking, not nearly to the extent you describe though. The one thing I continue to have is the itch. It's only my right, upper, inner arm now, but it doesn't go away for any major length of time.

And as others have said, GSAD. gl

sizemore2000

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2010
Tahlequah, Oklahoma
I would just try the pg juice from several different vendors. Get a bunch of sample packs and as long as you can stand the pain try some others. Sometimes the flavorings they use will cause symptoms like that, and lower you nic mg level to stop the anxiety stuff. I'm no doc, but I did have some of those symptoms that were helped by switching liquids. Just my .02.

Alžběta Madragana

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2011
Cresson, Texas
Like the others, I hate to see someone leave the world of vaping. Perhaps, - only my opinion and suggestion - maybe you could try unflavoured PEG juice. It's not PG or VG - it's another type of glycerin that is available to vape. I happened across a vendor selling this stuff - from China. Of course, most of e-cig supplies come from there. And yes, you do need to see a doc on your symptoms - and definitely get a 2nd opinion as well as some tests run.
I hope the answers posted in response to your thread help and you find the answers you need.
Best wishes to you!

Tracy68

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2011
Australia
Hi, you're not alone.
I too experienced similar things when vaping VG. Facial flushing, rash on my face and one particular night of intense all over prickly itching that drove me insane!
I'm vaping 100% PG now and have had no itching or facial flushing but since I weaned myself off those last few cigarettes and am now vaping full time I ALSO have developed shortness of breath AND anxiety and some funny cardiac things (which I am going to get checked out by having a 24 hr monitor put on)
I'm disappointed because one of the first things I noticed when I started vaping (initially) with the VG was that my chest and breathing felt SO much better! In fact until all the rash issues started I was feeling fantastic!

Having also dealt with anxiety issues throughout my life I know that that in itself can cause SO many horrible uncomfortable physical sensations. Feeling a bit short of breath and chest pains can sometimes be due to anxiety - but those things of COURSE should always be checked out medically as everyone else here has said.
Just to rule out that nothing sinister is going on will provide you with some peace of mind.

Giving up smoking in itself is enough to cause anxiety to soar - even if you're feeling great about actually having given up smoking - it's still a HUGE life change!
And I'm sure I have read that anxiety IS one of the things commonly experienced by many when giving up.
Plus, you've already had a negative experience with vaping the VG so it's likely that in the back of your mind you're a bit wary of vaping again now, which I think is likely to create anxiety issues surrounding vaping.

The pain in your kidney area though is a bit odd and should be checked out.
Seems logical to me that any kidney problems would be associated with hydration.
You say you feel you ARE very well hydrated - drinking lots? How much exactly. Are you ...... lots too? Is your urine clear?
You may need to experiment with drinking more than what you are already doing - unless you are drinking ridiculous amounts already.
Just remember that tea, coffee and alcoholic beverages all serve to dehydrate the body so these need to be limited (or cut out altogether) and can't be included in your overall daily fluid intake.
Not feeling thirsty is NOT a true indication of whether or not you are hydrated enough. When you actually FEEL thirsty you are already dehydrated.
I'm actually finding that by drinking at least 8 glasses a day that I am not only running to the loo CONSTANTLY but the shortness of breath thing is vastly improved - not entirely, but enough so that I don't feel quite as worried about that as before. I could probably do with drinking more than that though.
I have also read online of many accounts of people who have given up smoking cold turkey - no vaping, who also experience shortness of breath so maybe it IS another one of those withdrawal symptoms?

Perhaps the shortness of breath has something to do with all that phlegm you're producing?
Either the excess phlegm is a reaction to vaping or it's the natural clearing out of gunk in your lungs?

Some people seem to be able to take up vaping with NO problems whatsoever - my husband is one of those.
Other people have a much harder time and probably are more sensitive to all of the variants involved with vaping and perhaps may experience more extreme withdrawal symptoms?

We just don't know enough about vaping to be able to say that it is or isn't directly related to vaping itself which is why some of us have to keep on experimenting until we can hopefully get to a "comfortable' place vaping.

As someone mentioned there's also the PEG juice to try.
Change brands, flavours....rule everything out one by one is probably the best bet.

I know many people would probably disagree but if it were me and I were having a really hard time with vaping and wanted to rule out anxiety I'd just go back to smoking for a bit, or back to smoking a few and vaping the rest of the time to see if things settled down.
Vaping shouldn't be a totally unpleasant uncomfortable experience and the best thing I've ever read on this whole forum is that quitting smoking isn't a "race". For some the process may just take a whole lot longer than others.

So ultimately what I'm saying is please take care of yourself. Get these things checked out medically but don't give up just yet on the whole idea of vaping.
It may just take a bit longer for you to sort out exactly what's causing these problems.
Good luck and take care!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread