CDC, FDA, and Big Pharma Pushing NRT's to counter growing E-Cig sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.

H. Hodges

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
Spopkane, WA, USA
It's no secret that the US Gov, CDC, FDA, Big Pharma(s), and Big tobacco stand to loose billions of dollars with the introduction and proliferation of viable smoking alternatives. However, after numerous (hundreds if not thousands) case studies suggesting that most, if not all, traditional NRT's have serious side effects (including a well established increase risk of possible physiological derangement, cardiovascular damage, stroke, and death), this one study may become the benchmark for the new anti-ecig propaganda and push for reversion to taxable/controllable forms of smoking cessation. Link:

Quit-smoking drugs safe for your heart – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

And their methodology is flawed. In the study, they looked at other studies and extrapolated "desired" results of combining all NRT's lumped into a single group instead of looking at the inherent risks of each individual drug:

"The new meta-analysis published this week in the journal Circulation is the largest analysis of its kind, with study authors surveying 63 different clinical trials encompassing more than 30,500 smokers. Unlike previous studies, which only looked at the effectiveness and safety of each individual drug, this analysis compared all three methods of smoking cessation."

In this study, it doesn't matter if one (single) of the included NRT's has a higher likelihood of severe adverse effects on the individual because the effect(s) are averaged in with other NRT's to balance out the statistical occurrence of any of the known adverse effects. They also present false or surmised information without clinical study:

"[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The study results even suggest that Wellbutrin may even protect against serious cardiovascular events. But the study authors cannot explain why."[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The study also presents that using nicotine does not in and of itself cause heart disease or death, which I agree with, but implies that only the discussed NRT's have a lower risk than smoking:

"
[/FONT]When looking specifically at the heart, "the main problem are side effects, not heart attack and death," said Dr. Russell Luepker, spokesman for the American Heart Association[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]. "The risks are low, and if you look at the benefits of quitting smoking, they are greater than the benefit.""[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The study does not include smoking alternatives such as the e-cig and, IMHO, is trying to bolster the use of pharmaceuticals that most of us know do not work. NRT's on average have an approximate 8% success rate for long term smoking/tobacco cessation. While on the other hand, smoking harm reduction alternatives (e-cigs) have an extremely high success rate due to addressing the habit(s) of the addiction in conjunction with the physical withdraw. [/FONT]

H. Hodges

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
Spopkane, WA, USA
Well thats a bunch of horse-poo.

And OMG Wellbutrin??? 1 dose of that crap made me tachycardic. It is a cardiovascular event in and of itself for some.

What a garbage study - sadly many will read it without the sense that you have and just believe it all. Common sense is sadly, rather uncommon.

Unfortunately, I believe that is the real reason for the article. Take an other's work/clinical studies, extrapolate favorable data to support your point of view, pay an institutional doctor to associate his name with it, and WHOLA; science for the uninformed masses!

meanckz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Greer, SC
www.facebook.com
When looking specifically at the heart, "the main problem are side effects, not heart attack and death," said Dr. Russell Luepker, spokesman for the American Heart Association. "The risks are low, and if you look at the benefits of quitting smoking, they are greater than the benefit."

this can be said for vaping and PV's as much as any NRT

H. Hodges

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
Spopkane, WA, USA
When looking specifically at the heart, "the main problem are side effects, not heart attack and death," said Dr. Russell Luepker, spokesman for the American Heart Association. "The risks are low, and if you look at the benefits of quitting smoking, they are greater than the benefit."

this can be said for vaping and PV's as much as any NRT

When "looking specifically at the heart", IMHO, the real risk is "side effects" leading directly or indirectly to a heart attack or death! Any adverse effect on the cardiovascular system, especially the heart, poses a great risk of direct and/or indirect heart damage that has the potential for chronic or acute cardiovascular disease; leading to shortened life span, negative quality of life (CHF, chronic heart failure, comes to mind!), or possible immediate death. Just what he means by "the main problem are side effects, not heart attack and death", is beyond me.

H. Hodges

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
Spopkane, WA, USA
I know some who have taken Chantix and have had serious issues with suicidal thoughts. This side effect is *common* with this drug. To suggest that it is a withdrawal symptom is ludicrous.

ABSOLUTELY agreed! When one of the main side effects is "suicidal or homicidal thoughts/actions", I might have serious reservations about taking the cessation "cure".

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
I had heart palpitations and panic attacks on Wellbutrin. I wanted to roll up and smoke the patch, even though it delivered too much nicotine at once an made me dizzy. The gum I wound up using only when I couldn't have a cigarette wherever I was at the time. Also, I often chewed it absent mindedly even if I didn't need a bigger dose of nic because it had to be kept in my mouth. It was there. Got me dizzy too. I'm not looking for higher doses of nic, I'm looking to drop nic content if I'm looking to quit. Besides, the higher doses didn't do anything for me. I'm as addicted to the action of smoking as I am to nicotine. Perhaps even more so.

H. Hodges

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
Spopkane, WA, USA
I had heart palpitations and panic attacks on Wellbutrin. I wanted to roll up and smoke the patch, even though it delivered too much nicotine at once an made me dizzy. The gum I wound up using only when I couldn't have a cigarette wherever I was at the time. Also, I often chewed it absent mindedly even if I didn't need a bigger dose of nic because it had to be kept in my mouth. It was there. Got me dizzy too. I'm not looking for higher doses of nic, I'm looking to drop nic content if I'm looking to quit. Besides, the higher doses didn't do anything for me. I'm as addicted to the action of smoking as I am to nicotine. Perhaps even more so.

After smoking 2 PAD's for 27 years, I experienced symptoms along the same lines as you describe when my MD asked me to try "this new and great" cessation program including Wellbutrin and the patch. I felt like a caged animal on Wellbutrin, but never experienced the suicidal/homicidal thoughts commonly associated with its' use. As for the patch, after slapping 3 or 4 o my arms, I would still crave and smoke a cigarette. The patches had absolutely no cessation affect in my experience, but did leave nice little square rashes all over my arms! I looked like a checker board after a couple of days! Absolutely nothing else has worked for me except vaping. And, I thank God that it has worked for me for the last 5-6 years!

FearTX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Outside of Austin, The Republic of Texas
Tried patches and they burned my skin on top of doing nothing for the hand to mouth smoking habit.
Tried the gum and Wellbutrin and did not have any luck and wound up being depressed and angry for no reason.
Tried Chantix and wanted to kill everyone around me, ontop of being irritable from not smoking.

Tried vaping and it worked, I am able to run up a few flights of stairs with no hacking up a lung. My snoring has decreased along with the reduced chance of being clubbed to death at night by my sleep derived wife.

H. Hodges

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
Spopkane, WA, USA
Tried patches and they burned my skin on top of doing nothing for the hand to mouth smoking habit.
Tried the gum and Wellbutrin and did not have any luck and wound up being depressed and angry for no reason.
Tried Chantix and wanted to kill everyone around me, ontop of being irritable from not smoking.

Tried vaping and it worked, I am able to run up a few flights of stairs with no hacking up a lung. My snoring has decreased along with the reduced chance of being clubbed to death at night by my sleep derived wife.

I see from your avatar they took your picture while on Chantix! lol

Seriously though, from www.webmd.com:

WARNING
"Infrequently, varenicline (chantix) may cause serious mental/mood changes, even after stopping the medication. Drinking alcohol while taking this medication may increase the risk for mental/mood changes. Quitting smoking itself may also cause mental/mood changes. Stop taking varenicline and tell your doctor or pharmacist immediately if you have symptoms such as depression/suicidal thoughts, agitation, aggressiveness, or other unusual thoughts or behavior."

Side effects:
"Nausea, headache, vomiting, drowsiness, gas, constipation, trouble sleeping, unusual dreams, or changes in taste may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.

Tell your doctor right away if you have any serious side effects, including: burning feeling in feet/toes, unusual pain in the legs when walking.

Get medical help right away if you have any very serious side effects, including: chest/jaw/left arm pain, weakness on one side of the body, severe headache, vision changes, confusion, slurred speech.

A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.

This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist."

I'm not for sure (so correct me if I'm wrong), but your doctor prescribed this pharmaceutical because he/she believes the "benefit" of possibly helping you quit smoking far outweighs your suicide? Help me understand this one.

Last edited:

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
IMO, CDC lost all credibility when they dedicated a page to surviving the zombie apocalypse on their public health matters blog... CDC - Blogs - Public Health Matters Blog – Preparedness 101: Zombie Apocalypse

big pharma had very limited credibility in the first place.

FDA never had any to begin with.

CNN... well... at least they're not out FOX'd on this one.

I'm not for sure (so correct me if I'm wrong), but your doctor prescribed this pharmaceutical because he/she believes the "benefit" of possibly helping you quit smoking far outweighs your suicide? Help me understand this one.

:glare: he/she's a doctor. they're infallible. that is all.

besides, the quote reads "possibly helping".

Last edited:

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
CDC sued Maine CDC sued by former division director | wcsh6.com.
"Sharon Leahy-Lind, ex-director of the CDC's Division of Local Public Health, accuses the center and head administrator, Dr. Sheila Pinette, of retaliation and defamation for events that started with her refusal "to shred public documents that would have disclosed irregularities and possibly illegal activity by the CDC."

Lead in drinking water. Engineer sues CDC over response to allegations about lead in drinking water : Nature News Blog
"In March, the Government Accountability Office of the US Congress criticized the CDC’s handling of the case, saying it did not have policies in place to deal with confusion that could arise about its intended message."

I googled Lawsuits against CDC and am having a field day. The last one is puzzling... Is it saying the GAO is upset because the CDC hid the data, or is it saying what I think it's saying, that they don't yet have the lawyer mumble jumble to cover up fumbles like that...

Shoot, now I forgot why I googled that. Had a point, but lost it. LoL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread