Meta analysis of 6 studies finds 18% smoking cessation rate for smokers who tried e-cigs, published in AHA's Circulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Meta analysis of six previously published studies finds 18% (224/1,242) smoking cessation rate (after 6 months) for smokers who used e-cigs containing nicotine, which is much higher than the 7% average cessation rate for FDA approved NRT products. Amazingly, the study was published by/in American Heart Association's Circulation (even though AHA has staunchly opposed e-cigs since 2009 when it urged FDA to ban them).
Circulation

Hopefully, the AHA will issue a press release announcing this study and its findings to generate some news (especially since the AHA issued many press releases demonizing e-cigs), and will stop demonizing e-cigs, although that may require e-cig companies to give AHA lots of money first (as occurred after Big Pharma gave AHA lots of money to promote NRT and denounce all other smokefree alternatives).

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
Holy crap that's an impressive stat. Unfortunately, this news is much too impressive to go beyond an advocacy blog or two. After all, It's only about a cheap little battery that vaporizes harmless liquid which has the potential to cripple tobacco suppliers by as much as 18% and extend lives...

Nothing to see here folks... move along now...

LaraC

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2013
Tennessee
Did a quick google search on the lead investigator, Dr. Muhammad Aziz Rahman, St Vincent’s Centre for Nursing Research (SVCNR), Australian Catholic University, Melbourne, Australia.

Found an article he wrote titled:
"Smoking and health: what do patients and hospital staff think? A snapshot from a metropolitan hospital in Melbourne"

Near the end of the article, he wrote:

"There are limited studies which focus on the knowledge and preferences for smoking cessation strategies among hospitalised patients, suggesting the need for further exploration."

According to the link in Bill's post #1, the doctor did undertake further exploration. It's sure nice (and that's an understatement!) that Dr. Rahman's further exploration turned up favorable results for use of e-cigarettes as cessation tools. Personally, I began using e-cigarettes because I enjoyed the taste. I had no real intention to quit "cigarettes." Complete and painless cessation of combustible cigarettes turned out to be a pleasant side effect for me.

Smoking and health: what do patients and hospital staff think? A snapshot from a metropolitan hospital in Melbourne | Muhammad Aziz Rahman - Academia.edu

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread