**Casey's NEW Update Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
I have two prodigies but will gladly spring for a stainless version. The aluminum on the original version corrodes over time and you lose the electrical connection. This problem gets worse over time. Just last night my prodigy died twice and I had to lick the threads to restore the connection. Yes I know I'm nasty LOL

Brian

Hmmmm .... Brian, what side of the Prodigy? Adapter or End Cap? Mine is what .... 4-5 months old (the same tan one I have been using for forever) and it works great! Have you tried a Carbon Lube ? I know you polish them quite a bit, but I don't seem to have nearly the gunk build up you do .... :) Do you happen to have pics Brian?

So, Basically, you're saying once the Aluminum oxidizes and coats itself with Aluminum Oxide, the Aluminum Prodigy is essentially useless?? Nothing can be done about this? How long did this take to occur?

I have yet to see the aluminum oxidize on mine ... hmmmmmm

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA

I just checked wiki and it actually does. However, never fear, the process is almost instantaneous when Aluminum metal is in contact with atmospheric oxygen(takes about 100 picoseconds-about 100 trillionths of a second). The layer that forms is only 4 nanometers(4 millionths of a millimeter) and actually coats & protects the aluminum metal from any further oxidation. Apparently, this 4nm coating has little effect on the aluminum metal's electrical conductivity(being so thin) even though the Aluminum oxide is an electrical insulator. So, it appears the Aluminum Oxide ruining the Prodigy theory is nothing to worry about.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
I know Madison Hedgecock who plays for the Giants - can I have my Protege now if I get you his autograph?? :D I'll see his brother tomorrow.....lol

LOLOL ... I let Steve Smith (the NY Giants Wide Receiver) cheat off my world history homework in 11th grade .... BOOO YAHHHH !!!!!

I'm the reason he passed, thus allowing him to go to USC, thus the Giants and winning a Championship ....

Shoot ... I pretty much gave birth to the guy ;) LOLOLOL

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
LOLOL ... I let Steve Smith (the NY Giants Wide Receiver) cheat off my world history homework in 11th grade .... BOOO YAHHHH !!!!!

I'm the reason he passed, thus allowing him to go to USC, thus the Giants and winning a Championship ....

Is that the reason you love the Giants? I'm just asking as a lifelong Eagles fan. Could never understand why anyone would like the Giants, although I did live in Philly for 8 years so that might have something to do with it. I saw a guy in Giants jacket get thrown down a flight of stairs once in the 700 level at the Vet. They stopped serving beer past halftime at the Vet shortly after that.

mamacat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2009
WS, NC, USA

Sweet - not too much a football fan but love the Hedgecock family! They are awesome people..........hmmmmm. Now, I got to think of another way to get that Protege here faster.....lol But, I guess it will be okay cuz I got my PT. :D

Brian S

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2008
Hmmmm .... Brian, what side of the Prodigy? Adapter or End Cap? Mine is what .... 4-5 months old (the same tan one I have been using for forever) and it works great! Have you tried a Carbon Lube ? I know you polish them quite a bit, but I don't seem to have nearly the gunk build up you do .... :) Do you happen to have pics Brian?

Mine came with a white powder coating everything inside. I guessed it was a reaction from the superglue used to glue the spring to the end cap. The guess is because I build guitar amps and silicone caulk will react with the aluminum causing it to corrode if not properly ventilated while curing. At first it was just a noticibly weak vapor. Unscrewing and rescrewing the end caps would solve this. Lately it has been shutting down completly. At one point I almost sent my switch back for replacement thinking something was wrong. Since I had a spare, I changed one component at a time until it worked again. Then I put the original parts back on and it still worked. That is when I figured out it was corrosion on the threads causing the problem. Now I clean the threads every day but it still ocassionally shuts down. When I clean the threads with a tissue I get a black residue on the tissue. Some type of lubricant will likly help. I'll give that a shot. I'm just suprised that no one else has had this problem. Or maybe they have and haven't figured it out.

Brian

Brian S

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2008
I just checked wiki and it actually does. However, never fear, the process is almost instantaneous when Aluminum metal is in contact with atmospheric oxygen(takes about 100 picoseconds-about 100 trillionths of a second). The layer that forms is only 4 nanometers(4 millionths of a millimeter) and actually coats & protects the aluminum metal from any further oxidation. Apparently, this 4nm coating has little effect on the aluminum metal's electrical conductivity(being so thin) even though the Aluminum oxide is an electrical insulator. So, it appears the Aluminum Oxide ruining the Prodigy theory is nothing to worry about.

Right, and I seem to remember contractors using aluminum wiring at one point. They had a special lubricant they were required to apply to the screw and wire attached to outlets to prevent fires and such to be up to code. They no longer use aluminum wires in houses for that reason. I think the corrosion is caused by a reaction with chemicals in the superglue used to glue the spring on the end cap. Both mine came with a white powder coating everything inside. I'll post a pic later.

Brian

Brian S

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2008

Here is a pic of the inside. It is a bit blurry but you can clearly see the pitting of the aluminum.

Brian

EDIT Turns out it was some sort of residue from the switch that was easily cleaned off. Pic deleted.

Last edited:

Brian S

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2008

Another blurry pic of the end cap but you can see the oxidation.

Brian

Attachments

• IMG00044.jpg
    IMG00044.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 66

Brian S

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2008
End Cap = That is how many looked due to the bassing of the darn super glue -- something we have completely ditched now.

That pitting is really odd to me .... mine are clean as a whistle on the inside .... are abundant amounts of moisture getting in there Brian?

None that I'm aware of. I have been cleaning it with a dry tissue. I double checked and the pitting wasn't pitting. It was some kind of residue from the switch that I was able to clean off. I put a bit of vegetable oil on the threads of the one I'm currently using and it is behaving nicely so far. I'll update in a couple of days if it cured the problem or not.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread