Case Carrier and Neck Lanyard (strap) for Mod Boxes?

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
Among The Pugs
Speaking of the substrate called Kydex. Used for creating a carrier which can carry the mod upright. The carrier needs to have two attach points at the top, for connecting a neckstrap.

1706728493871.jpeg
1706728493871.jpeg

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Should be a fairly straight forward sewing job, grommet setter for attachment.

But I prefer my vape on my hip, (and I'm too lazy to uncrate the sewing machine ;) ) and use these:

Tucking the flap inside, hold all my box mods. Well, one at a time. Or use the flap to REALLY secure it on your hip!

Home Depot and Tractor Supply often have them.

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
Among The Pugs
Should be a fairly straight forward sewing job, grommet setter for attachment.

But I prefer my vape on my hip, (and I'm too lazy to uncrate the sewing machine ;) ) and use these:

Tucking the flap inside, hold all my box mods. Well, one at a time. Or use the flap to REALLY secure it on your hip!

Home Depot and Tractor Supply often have them.
I have a few pouches like that from my former skillsets. They're OK for on the hip. However, I'm wanting to keep the Mod upright at all times around my neck, to avoid the potential of leaking and catching on things...basically task specific. I have the Chicago fasteners, I just need to get some lightweight Kydex.

I've done some research several times, but have never found anything made like I'm wanting. There are some Kydex belt carry, but I don't have interest in the type.

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
Among The Pugs
Yep, different strokes :)

Never had a problem with leaks, but then the RTAs I use don't.
That's a side (RTAs) of vaping I've yet to experience. I have plans to, as a 2nd to my DIY journey. I want to stay MTL/DTL for less fuel (juice) consumption. I'm open for suggestion.

I've researched the mesh RTAs and considered several in that style. Wotofo Profile-X Mesh, Zeus-X Mesh, and Kylin Pro. However, I think those will all consume more fuel than I'm wanting, for my style of vaping. My main concern is quality. And [1] rebuildable [2] low fuel consumption [3] 6ml+ capacity.

I'm running on low caffeine ATM and cannot think clearly...lol.
But I have lost a few drip tips with hip carry ;)

Maybe some heavy weight "rip-stop" nylon would work as well?
There, you see I forgot to respond to the last part.

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
All of what I use is now not available. Older KF2L and Coppervape Skyline are my go-tos, and lots of spares and spare parts in hand.

Imo, anything that uses blister pack coils is ok - as long as you think the maker will keep making them! Once they stop, well, round paper weights don't work well ;)

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
Among The Pugs
All of what I use is now not available. Older KF2L and Coppervape Skyline are my go-tos, and lots of spares and spare parts in hand.

Imo, anything that uses blister pack coils is ok - as long as you think the maker will keep making them! Once they stop, well, round paper weights don't work well ;)
I've used blister pack types and come to enjoy them. I buy them in bulk. That expense adds up. That's what I'm wanting to get away from by making my own coils.

• Agree
Reactions: DavidOck

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Whether or not you consume a lot of juice is dependent upon coil mass, coil type and wattage vaped. My experience.

Factory coil heads can definitely be expensive, but the cleaner your juice the better.

No lies: on clean and clear peppermint/candy cane 70VG juice (DIY, 6% flavor, 6mg nic), 25W RDL, I get 2 months on an Eleaf EC (not EC2) 0.5 and 0.3 ohm coil heads (and similar ones that aren't available any longer). 10-20ml/day. $9 or less /5-pack (from china sources) is ~10 months of vaping. One of the tanks I use it in is the Eleaf Melo 4 D25. Gotta replace the pring at the bottom of the coil head with a black 9mm(OD)x1.5mm oring or else can seep into AFC.

The EC2 coils are OK but I only get 1 month and I tend to get dry tasting hits here and there.

I can actually go longer than 2 months on the EC coil but flavor noticeably diminishes enough to want to change it. At <$1/ month...I'm happy with that. Spent $400+/mo on cigarettes ;)

Due to the good flavor and cost, makes RTAs kinda not needed, though I still use 'em.

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
    Among The Pugs
    Whether or not you consume a lot of juice is dependent upon coil mass, coil type and wattage vaped. My experience.

Factory coil heads can definitely be expensive, but the cleaner your juice the better.

No lies: on clean and clear peppermint/candy cane 70VG juice (DIY, 6% flavor, 6mg nic), 25W RDL, I get 2 months on an Eleaf EC (not EC2) 0.5 and 0.3 ohm coil heads (and similar ones that aren't available any longer). 10-20ml/day. $9 or less /5-pack (from china sources) is ~10 months of vaping. One of the tanks I use it in is the Eleaf Melo 4 D25. Gotta replace the pring at the bottom of the coil head with a black 9mm(OD)x1.5mm oring or else can seep into AFC.

The EC2 coils are OK but I only get 1 month and I tend to get dry tasting hits here and there.

I can actually go longer than 2 months on the EC coil but flavor noticeably diminishes enough to want to change it. At <$1/ month...I'm happy with that. Spent $400+/mo on cigarettes ;)

Due to the good flavor and cost, makes RTAs kinda not needed, though I still use 'em.
    This is very interesting. Pretty amazing actually, though I've not ventured away from what's worked...what I feel has been a good span. On my average (70v/30p) running Naked100 Crisp Menthol, I get 2 (at times 3 weeks if I top off when liquid is at about 1/2) weeks from a 0.7.

Your findings on the setup you use are def better. Very much more favorable. Would my nic mix being 100mg PG based increase the coil longevity, due to less sweeteners?

RTAs are not necessarily a way I would choose for the MTL/DL experience.

Thanks for sharing this with me. :)

Last edited:
    Reactions: DavidOck

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Your findings on the setup you use are def better. Very much more favorable. Would my nic mix being 100mg PG based increase the coil longevity, due to less sweeteners?

Most people agree that sweeter juices (or higher flavor %) = shorter coil life.

Wattage is also gonna matter. If I were to vape the same coils at 50W I doubt I'd get 2 months out of it.

Would my nic mix being 100mg PG based increase the coil longevity, due to less sweeteners?

Your nic base doesn't mater. It's your finished liquid that matters. You could use VG-based 100mg but in the end you're still gonna mix/dilute to reach the same PG/VG ratio you prefer regardless of base. Therefore your juice isn't any sweeter using VG base over using PG base. Different road, same destination.

I get 2 (at times 3 weeks

Not bad from a small-ish coil head like a Nautilus coil. However I would experiment with thinner juice like 50-60PG to see if that gets you longer coil life.

I also use a smaller coil than the nautilus and I get about a month on it, same flavor juice but at 50VG. 8-ish watts, 12-15mg, 8% flavor)

Reactions: Real-ist

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
    Among The Pugs
    Most people agree that sweeter juices (or higher flavor %) = shorter coil life.

Wattage is also gonna matter. If I were to vape the same coils at 50W I doubt I'd get 2 months out of it.

Your nic base doesn't mater. It's your finished liquid that matters. You could use VG-based 100mg but in the end you're still gonna mix/dilute to reach the same PG/VG ratio you prefer regardless of base. Therefore your juice isn't any sweeter using VG base over using PG base. Different road, same destination.

Not bad from a small-ish coil head like a Nautilus coil. However I would experiment with thinner juice like 50-60PG to see if that gets you longer coil life.

I also use a smaller coil than the nautilus and I get about a month on it, same flavor juice but at 50VG. 8-ish watts, 12-15mg, 8% flavor)
    Sorry I was late for class!! Hehe. The info you're sharing is GOLD. Thinner juices (as I'll likely never deviate from my Menthol) have never crossed my mind, buying pre-mix. I just kept rolling with what I knew. I can see with the venturing into DIY, there are more benefits YET. This is fantastic!

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Sorry I was late for class!! Hehe. The info you're sharing is GOLD. Thinner juices (as I'll likely never deviate from my Menthol) have never crossed my mind, buying pre-mix. I just kept rolling with what I knew. I can see with the venturing into DIY, there are more benefits YET. This is fantastic!

Yup, with store bought juice today, you gotta vape what they got. Back in the day many VG/PG variations were offered when stores were making their own juices. There are few places who do that anymore. EC Blend still does I think. Back in the day 50% PG was the norm and even thinner than that due to the hardware we were vaping with.

DIY is the way to go if you don't mind mixing juices. Cheaper and customized.

I don't care for making juices TBH. Luckily, I'm not into complex flavor profiles when it comes to eliquid. It's a rabbit hole I don't wanna go down. I use half and half candy cane and peppermint and that's it. For my black licorice, that's just one flavor to mix (I don't vape it that much). I only use peppermint with my candy cane because I bought a lot of peppermint flavor for super cheap from a retailer which was going out of business. When that's done, I'm going strictly candy cane. I just mix up 2 liters every 4-5 months and I'm good. That's the way I roll.

TheSingularity

Jan 26, 2024
    Oregon, U.S.
    I have a few pouches like that from my former skillsets. They're OK for on the hip. However, I'm wanting to keep the Mod upright at all times around my neck, to avoid the potential of leaking and catching on things...basically task specific. I have the Chicago fasteners, I just need to get some lightweight Kydex.

I've done some research several times, but have never found anything made like I'm wanting. There are some Kydex belt carry, but I don't have interest in the type.
    I'm a fan of neoprene. Surprisingly stable over years and UV exposure, while also exhibiting the virtues of being pretty, chemical (like your body's normal sweat and oil) resistant, and pretty soft, depending on thickness.

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
    Among The Pugs
    I'm a fan of neoprene. Surprisingly stable over years and UV exposure, while also exhibiting the virtues of being pretty, chemical (like your body's normal sweat and oil) resistant, and pretty soft, depending on thickness.
    Neoprene is a nice approach. Stretchy, snug, the ability to have functionality of the Mod by feel, not needing to have holes strategically placed as openings. I can visualize the versatility.

I don't have the sewing skills, or a machine capable. I do like the idea.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I don't have the sewing skills, or a machine capable. I do like the idea.

Looking at your diagram, doesn't look like there would be much skill needed in sewing that together by hand with the right "thread" and needle. Then making the holes and pounding in the grommets. Could even first use a small amount of fabric glue around the seem the day before sewing to help keep it together as you sew it. Nit sure that would work, just thinking out loud.

I mean, it may not look factory fresh, but you'll be hard-pressed to find what you're looking for, I think. Not much demand for mod socks and the like in today's vaping market, at least not the US market.

I got this mod sock long time ago but never used it. I'm not even sure it's actually a mod sock. Might have been made for ego batteries i think cuz it has a couple straps inside to hold smaller stuff down. But then, not sure why it's open at the top. Kinda strange.

PeENB4q.jpg

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
    Among The Pugs
    I don't know where you live, but if you live near where Amish are, you might be able to buy your material, cut it to shape then bring it to Amish to have them sew it up for ya. Just another thought thru fingers.
    The Amish are creative. Unfortunately, I'm on the West Coast of the U.S. I'm not aware if they are around these parts. Neat my location anyway.

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
    Among The Pugs
    Looking at your diagram, doesn't look like there would be much skill needed in sewing that together by hand with the right "thread" and needle. Then making the holes and pounding in the grommets. Could even first use a small amount of fabric glue around the seem the day before sewing to help keep it together as you sew it. Nit sure that would work, just thinking out loud.

I mean, it may not look factory fresh, but you'll be hard-pressed to find what you're looking for, I think. Not much demand for mod socks and the like in today's vaping market, at least not the US market.

I got this mod sock long time ago but never used it. I'm not even sure it's actually a mod sock. Might have been made for ego batteries i think cuz it has a couple straps inside to hold smaller stuff down. But then, not sure why it's open at the top. Kinda strange.

PeENB4q.jpg
    My scribbling was referencing Kydex. I know I could sew it up by hand....if I was ambitious!! Right now I'm not in that type of DIY mood.

Users who are viewing this thread