El-cheapo DIY neck strap idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giraut

Moved On
Dec 6, 2013
I've got this new silver Ego-C Twist battery with a Kanger mini Protank II, and I don't want to buy a ready-made lanyard because

1/ The lanyard leaves the battery and tank exposed, and I don't want their surface finish to be scratched up colliding with my reading glasses - which I also carry around my neck.

2/ The mini Protank and its glass tank makes the whole thing top-heavy, so it wouldn't stay upright.

3/ I'm cheap.

So, if you're a pack rat like me and you have bits of stuff lying around, you can make a neck strap that'll protect your Ego mod setup for $0. You need:

- A length of clear vinyl hose, available at home improvement and fishtank supplies stores. The exact diameter doesn't really matter, as long as it's larger than 14.5 mm (the Ego battery is 14 mm in diameter, and then add some for easy insertion into the hose).

- A very small piece of 1/2" garden hose. The outside diameter is usually around 16 mm, but the exact diameter isn't critical as long as it's close to, or just above the inner diameter of the clear vinyl hose.

- An old narrow bicycle inner tube that you don't mind cutting a piece out of.

- A lanyard, from a tradeshow badge or an old photo camera or something.

To make the thing:

- Cut the piece of clear hose to length - depending on your exact Ego battery - so that the go-go button just protrudes. If you need the lanyard's attachment point to be higher up to keep the mod upright, cut the top end slanted.

- Punch a small hole at the top end and thread the lanyard through it.

- Glue a 1/4" long slice of garden hose inside the bottom end of the clear hose, to act as a stopper.

- Cut a large slit somewhere in the middle of the clear hose. Slide a piece of bicycle tube over it. The bicycle tube will constrict the clear tube around the slit, so that it provides friction to keep the battery from sliding out if it ever finds itself upside down.

Voila! A functional, protective, albeit slighly cheesy neck strap for your Ego-C mod :) Here's what it looks like:

ego_c_twist_neck_strap1_zpsb7f2368d.jpg

ego_c_twist_neck_strap2_zpsd52b5e08.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread