Status
Not open for further replies.

BentWookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2013
SF Bay Area CA USA
Hello All,

I've recently become a big fan of carto and carto tanks and need some help choosing the right carto for me. I've noticed that when it comes to atomizers that the type can make a big difference. For example I was exclusively a 510/ego delivery device user until a buddy let me try his 901 atomizer. I was hooked on the first draw. Much easier draw, great flavor, nice vapor. All around great experience. Then came his 801 fusion carto tank. And I was blown away again.

Does the same apply to cartos? Will different types of 510, 801, and 901 provide different experiences? It seems that 801s are fairly popular. Any reason behind that?

Thanks in advanced for the feedback,

Regards,

BW

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
I only use the ikv 801 fusions but I've never torn them apart to find out. They produce a dense flavorful vapor where 510s seem to be prone to burning juice for me. It might be placebo and truly just be threading only who knows, next one that dies will get cut in half for inspection.

Sent from my Nexus 4

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
The 801 ledge is nice although there is a gap caused by the adapter, small price to pay for the quality of vape it gives. You simply cannot get a dry hit on these things if properly primed the first time. I've ran 10+ tanks of varying juice through my current one and it still performs like new.

All my IKV stuff tests out within .1ohm of the description on the site, all my cartos that are rated at 3.0ohm have tested 2.9ohm-3ohm so far on my multimeter. I've tried all the others there is simply nothing close to it IMHO.

BentWookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2013
SF Bay Area CA USA
The 801 ledge is nice although there is a gap caused by the adapter, small price to pay for the quality of vape it gives. You simply cannot get a dry hit on these things if properly primed the first time. I've ran 10+ tanks of varying juice through my current one and it still performs like new.

All my IKV stuff tests out within .1ohm of the description on the site, all my cartos that are rated at 3.0ohm have tested 2.9ohm-3ohm so far on my multimeter. I've tried all the others there is simply nothing close to it IMHO.

It's funny you mention IKV. I've been on the search for the past several hours looking for stock on a fusion 510 XL or fusion 801 XL. I've found nothing available in the US so far.

imind

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2012
cleveland
The 801 ledge is nice although there is a gap caused by the adapte
can anyone provide a pic of this gap?

...and i'm assuming this is the adaptor needed for, say, a provari? didn't even realize till now there existed different sized cartos, other than some being longer for taller tanks....does this require a special tank? what is the difference in size then...is it in the diameter, length, or simply the threads?

BentWookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2013
SF Bay Area CA USA
can anyone provide a pic of this gap?

...and i'm assuming this is the adaptor needed for, say, a provari? didn't even realize till now there existed different sized cartos, other than some being longer for taller tanks....does this require a special tank? what is the difference in size then...is it in the diameter, length, or simply the threads?

The difference (as far as dimensions) is primarily the connector. There are "stealth" adapters that will mitigate the gap as much as possible. I believe the Provari utilizes a 510 and ego connector therefore you would need to buy a 510 to 801 adapter. Please see my next post for more differences between the 801 and 510 cartos.

BentWookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2013
SF Bay Area CA USA
Hi Guys. Just wanted to add some tidbits of info that I've been coming across.

Apparently the original 801 design (coil, wicking material, draw, etc.) was a preferred carto design. The flange on the bottom of the 801 made it even more desirable for tank usage as the flange would prevent the tank from sliding down. They were also supposedly able to generate better vapor and TH and this is why they were preferred over the 510 cartos. This is not my own opinion or experience. I am just repeating what I have been reading in the forums. Then came the Ikenvape Fusion Cartos which essentially took the guts of their 801 fusion carto and stuck it onto a 510 connector. There was also a flange added at the bottom to help secure the tank.

Please take any of this info with a grain of salt as this is just what I gathered from reading various forum topics. Please feel free to correct any misinformation.

RooRooBears

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
California
I believe it all depends on your device. My Provari works perfectly well with 510 cartomizers & DCT Tanks- good draw, good hit, etc. But when I tried ViviNovas, I was unable to get any draw at all. I'm sure there are adapters to fix it which is the main reason of my post. No matter which cartomizer you use, there are adapters out there to fix the airflow - so airflow shouldn't be a factor for you. The main factor, IMO, would be which cartomizer allows you to have a better throat hit & flavor allowance from whichever eJuice you're vaping. I don't know about the other models, but almost everyone I've come across suggested that flavor & throat hit came out mostly with 510 cartomizers.

Btw, the 510 cartomizers now come with Flanges on the bottom to avoid the tanks from slipping downward. If it helps, I get mine from here:

Single Coil (2 Hole) 3.0 ohm Tank Cartomizer - (5 Pack)
(5 for $10)

From personal experience and research, most 510 cartomizer users prefer the 510 cartomizer with the following features:
o Single coil (not dual coil)
o 2 laser pre-drilled holes (not manually punched, as this tends to allow leakage when refilling)
o 3.0 ohm resistane (high resistance, which allows usage of high voltage)

Of course vaping always comes down to personal preference, but this is what I have found works for me and, apparently, for the majority of 510 cartomizer users.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hi Guys. Just wanted to add some tidbits of info that I've been coming across.

Apparently the original 801 design (coil, wicking material, draw, etc.) was a preferred carto design. The flange on the bottom of the 801 made it even more desirable for tank usage as the flange would prevent the tank from sliding down. They were also supposedly able to generate better vapor and TH and this is why they were preferred over the 510 cartos. This is not my own opinion or experience. I am just repeating what I have been reading in the forums. Then came the Ikenvape Fusion Cartos which essentially took the guts of their 801 fusion carto and stuck it onto a 510 connector. There was also a flange added at the bottom to help secure the tank.

Please take any of this info with a grain of salt as this is just what I gathered from reading various forum topics. Please feel free to correct any misinformation.

Actually, it happened the other way around. Isaac's 510 Platinum cartos (pretty much the same as Boge) were wildly popular and the 801 battery users wanted them so Isaac adapted his 510 Platinums and had them manufactured with a 801 connection. It had nothing to do with tanks; it happened before the tanks were introduced. The rest is history. :)

BentWookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2013
SF Bay Area CA USA
Hey Guys. Thanks so much for all the great feedback. I just wanted to update you guys that I officially began my voyage into cart tank heaven today and I will never turn back to the vivi nova style/kanger t3 type tanks. I received my iClear 30s a week back and thought those were great until I took my first vape off of a carto tank.

My vape mail today consisted of:

Boge F16 Tank
Ikenvape Carto Tank
IBTanked 19mm XL
Boge XL LR SS
Ikenvape 801 Fusion Punch LR

I set up 3 tanks.

First up was the F16 since it already had a carto installed. I believe it came with a Boge LR XL 510 flanged. Primed it w/ 40/60 juice and filled up the tank. Worked fine for 5 draws then it flooded. I played w/ it all night and finally managed to get it working respectably. After I got through the flooding issues it is producing good vapor, TH, and flavor. Similar draw as the Ikenvape 801s.

2nd up was the Ikenvape Carto Tank w an Ikenvape Fusion 801 LR Punch. Followed the same steps and filled it w/ Hype (10% or less PG). My god I had no idea Hype could taste so good. I've been enjoying this one all night. Awesome flavor, vapor, and TH.

Last and not least was my IBTanked. I put the included Smok 510 XL LR 2 ohm in it. Followed the same steps and bam. Instantly burned the carto. It was not pleasant one bit. I had primed it with a ton of juice, filled the tank, primed it again before firing it and still managed to burn the carto. Funny thing was that it was reading as a 3ohm carto on my device. I have another Smok carto that I will try at some later point in time but I did not feel like experimenting some more so I just loaded it up w/ another Ikenvape Fusion 801. No issues at all after that.

I have some Boge 801 laser punched Fusion 3ohm cartos on the way. I could not find these anywhere in a LR. It would be nice just to be able to use them w/ an Ego C but at 3ohms they are worthless with the Ego. Although I'm expecting good performance with a VV. I really hope the Boges perform well as the Ikenvapes are a PITA to get a hold of. I will definitely buy more of them given the chance but I need a plan B in case I cannot get a hold of more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread