Canadian users or anyone who can throw some advice my way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, Hello and thank you for all the great info I have been pouring over for the last few hours.

Way back in June (on another like minded forum) I posted a question about what type of device would suit a two pack a day smoker. The other part of my question was a "Canadian flavor" of juice that would come as close to my brand as possible. (Export A green)

I had forgotten all about that post - along with the whole e-cig idea until today, when I made up my mind that I really need to break my 2 pack a day habit at $25 per day it sure adds up quickly.

I love to smoke - been doing it since I was a teen. I am in my 40's now and looking for something to reconfigure my habit.

Notice I did not say replace or quit my habit. I love to smoke - otherwise I would not do it. A habit you say? Yes for sure....but the price is just costing me to much per day.

With that in mind - I am back looking at the e-cig as a cheaper alternative to my current smoking dilemma.

After reading the forums, I think as a starter I would like to try the DSE901 manual model. It seems to offer a great amount of vapor, and most report a good throat kick if that is the correct term?

My problem arises in that I cannot seem to find a blend of ready made juice that comes close to a Canadian brand of cigs.

I read most posts that had anything to do with Export A, or like minded type thoughts on Canadian blends. I am not a fan of sweet tobacco or flower/fruity blends - but have smoked some American brands here and there (also mentioned some of these are sweet in the juice blends - which I do not want), and am hoping someone can give me an idea what to go with because you TRIED it - Hence the request for fellow Canadians to throw out some ideas for me.

So, as a noob to this - it seems there is no blend that comes close to Canadian flavor smokes - but I am all for advice if anyone has anything to offer at all.

Also, is my choice for a e-cig a good one? Consider that I am a heavy smoker?

Thanks for any and all advice offered.

Stu

Mister

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Nanaimo BC Canada
Hi Stu, welcome to ECF!

I'm a recent convert (six weeks.)

Background for flavor comparison: I'm a 40 year smoker. During that time I've had one or more years of using (in order): Players plain, Export A, DuMaurier, Players, Players Light, Canadian Silver (recent switch due to price and flavor similarity to Players Light.) I've also enjoyed at times over the years an occasional fix of Camels and Sobranie Black Russians.

I'm very happy with both my Joye 510 and my Janty Stick (an 801 at heart, with a nice shape and a better power source.) The 901 may well be as good a choice, I don't have one and can't compare.

I've tried the following tobacco based flavors, all Dekang manufactured (the dominant Chinese manufacturer, and I think dominant worldwide): Camel, Kent, Flu-cured, Turkish, Winston, Marlborough, RY4.

I like Winston. I'm still exploring alternatives, including some weird fruity ideas, but so far this is my favorite. A rich tobacco flavor without being overpowering.

Camel is my second choice so far. Tastes similar to real Camels but is a bit lighter and also has a slight caramel overtone which interferes (to my Canadian tobacco educated mind) a bit with the flavor.

Flu-cured is far too wet-tobacco tasting to me. But I might yet like it. Since I already have some, I plan to cut its flavor with some 24mg unflavored PG and retry it. Might like it then, or might end up throwing it out.

Turkish: same comments as for flu-cured but with a bit less optimism regarding the outcome after I cut the flavor.

Marlborough is to me, ok and I might do that if there weren't any other choice other than smoking, not sure.

Kent is very dry and bland to me. I'd definitely rather smoke.

RY4: A lot of people like this. I think it is just partially a tobacco flavor. It doesn't suit my taste buds at all. There's some caramel there, and something else I can't identify and I don't like it. I'd rather quit (I think - in reality I might use this if it were the only nicotine source available, I'm not sure.)

I hope all this helps a bit.

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-

lordmage

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2008
Dundalk,Maryland, USA
  • Deleted by lordmage
  • Reason: Under Review
Wow Mister thank you for such an in depth post. I think it is very much as I read in other posts - each persons own flavor choice, but am grateful for a view from someone who has smoked a lot. I am going to place my order today for some Winston and give it a try. My experience with USA smokes is rather limited - mostly Malboro's and Camels. I am a fan of camels and may give that one a go later on. After thinking on it for awhile I think my biggest challenge is going to be trying to find a flavor I like - same as everyone else here seems to have done. Experiment I think it the key. You mentioned the joye 510....I will look into that model before I commit to a purchase later today. Thanks again for your post.

Hi, smokumchevy....

I think it is like people are saying such as yourself - nothing yet - but instead of a closed mind (that I usually have) I am going to give this a go without trying to link this type of smoke with my current smoking habit/flavor. I will try Winston as Mister pointed out....it may not be for me - but it is worth it for me to try.

I did read some "kitchen chemist" posts - one in particular post stood out from the rest - but as a beginner I think I will wait trying that until I feel more comfortable with my skills.

I did join a sub forum - guys from Edmonton were the closest I could find to my location.....but missed the one you posted - I will be sure and join, and continue to read, read, read.

Again, thanks for the replies. I will post back what I bought later today - going over to the Canadian supplier section to find what I need.

Stu

LMAO.....I tried to log back in to read a few reviews on the 510 starter kit. I was unable to log back in cause it was the server was to busy.

In my excitement I went to "NorthernVapors" and purchased the 510 starter kit (titanium - would have preferred black but did not see that as an option) I also bought two of the starter juice - both were in Mister's post above - Winston and Camel.

I would have liked to buy a passthru as like many of you - I tend to do most of smoking right in front of my computer - but that was not offered on that site? Where should I buy one?

Cost me $91 Canadian for my order.

As others here seem to have more then one e-cig - I will start with this one and perhaps try the models Nickarsow and zoester mentioned.

Thanks again.

Think Tink

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
My husband's favorite tobacco flavor so far is Camel. He smoked Players for 15 years then switched to Matinee when we were trying to quit, and after our vacation in the US earlier this month we switched to American Spirits which are far superior to any analog I've ever smoked, after smoking them for a couple weeks we can taste the chemical taste in Canadian cigs.

Interesting side note, his other favorite flavor is a DIY Root Beer Float using Capella flavors.

We both vape using 510's from Happy Vaper (Canadian Supplier), immediately I dropped from a pack a day to less than a half pack a day and now I"m on day 4 of no analogs. My husband's smoking is also drastically reduced, from over a pack a day to a pack lasting 3 days.

It looks like vapables dot com the new canadian supplier is carrying camel and other tobacco flavors.

Misty

Mister

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Nanaimo BC Canada
Where did you order the tobacco flavours you spoke of from? I know there are different 'brands' of flavours, and they don't really taste the same, even if they have the same name.

The Winston, Camel, Flue Cured, and Turkish flavors I've used all came from www.heaven-gifts.com. They were all in bottles which indicate (by having a lightly stamped, hard to see, "YNDK" on the bottom ring of the white bottle cap) that they are manufactured by Dekang. I don't think these are custom produced for Heaven Gifts. I think they are standard Dekang flavors and you would probably get the same thing from www.healthcabin.net or many other suppliers who resell Dekang liquid.

I visited the NorthernVapors web site just now and I must say I find it somewhat confusing. After clicking on a "xxx Essence Mix" link there's no indication of how I might specify the strength. And I don't see anything on the site about where they get their liquids. The 510 starter kit looks like a reasonable deal in Canadian dollars but their juice menu leaves an awful lot to be desired.

Last edited:

Brachinus

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2009
Jersey Shore
If you're only trying to save money, you might consider sticking with tobacco and moving to making your own with a machine (costs $10 to $60 American) and "pipe" tobacco. There's a brand called Penhooker (made by D&R) that's supposed to be a Canadian-style blend, and while it's technically pipe tobacco (because earlier this year America raised its taxes on rolling tobacco from $1 a pound to $25, but only raised the pipe tobacco tax to $2), it works just fine for making cigarettes.

I can't post links, but Google "penhooker" and "ryo tobacco" for more info on how to get started.

I did the RYO thing for most of this year (after my Camels started costing over 8 bucks a pack), and the e-cig thing doesn't look to be any cheaper than RYO (but still way cheaper than buying readymade cigs).

BTW, instead of trying to re-create your cigarette experience, you might think about just moving to non-tobacco flavors, and get your nicotine fix while having your breath smell like mint or peach or chocolate. A flavor that's not trying to be your favorite cig might appeal more than one that's trying, and failing.

JenJen

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2009
Sunny Arizona
Welcome!

I have no idea what canadian tobacco tastes like, but if you are looking for a pick up and go e-cig that doesn't leave you dripping and topping off carts with liquid all day, I can recommend the VaporKing from Vapor4Life. We have a canadian there who gets his packages in 3 days, even though it has to go throug customs - he is amazed and loving his VK! Here is a link to the V4L forum here if you want to pop by and ask him questions, his name is bornagainst. Vapor4Life - e-cigarette-forum.com • The place for electronic cigarette reviews, news and chat

Many of us eciggers find that we don't even use the tobacco flavors after a while, most move on to the yummy flavors like coffee, chocolate, or even the peach and raspberry. The only tobacco flavor I use is the French Pipe. It is smooth and rich with just a hint of sweetness. Very satisfying to me. Most of the other tobacco flavors are bleh to me! :p

Happy vaping with whatever you choose! I am sure you are going to love vaping over smoking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread